Ford Inside News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patent Designs of Chevrolet Sedan with Camaro-esque Rear End: Is it the New Malibu, Impala or Something Else?

LINK

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I would venture to say this is most likely the impala. Rear window shape is not like the current malibu, and we know that the upcoming malibu has already been designed, so they probably filed the patent a while back.

the rear lights are also classic impala.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Awful. Boring. Dull. So yesterday. Government Motors is not risking anything on their designs. They are making the same mistakes Ford did. Design the non-offensive. This will be a rebate queen in just over a year it is released. When the new Fusion hits, this Malibore will look absolutely 1964.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awful. Boring. Dull. So yesterday. Government Motors is not risking anything on their designs. They are making the same mistakes Ford did. Design the non-offensive. This will be a rebate queen in just over a year it is released. When the new Fusion hits, this Malibore will look absolutely 1964.
If you have seen a Camry or Accord, you would know this sells. Have you seen how Fusion and Malibu have increased their sales in the segment since their current restlye?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
If you have seen a Camry or Accord, you would know this sells. Have you seen how Fusion and Malibu have increased their sales in the segment since their current restlye?
yeahBut
imho no one ever bought Crummery for it's wonderful styling

& unfortunately now that all Honda's designers went blind simultaneously; the Accord can only be bought INSPITE OF its :yikes: "styling"
Both the Malibu & Fusion are extremely attractive imho :cool:
as well as much MUCH better cars than the Throttlegate (& I've seen a respected poster elsewhere say that Honda is the next big Fall/Fail waiting to happen)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I would venture to say this is most likely the impala. Rear window shape is not like the current malibu, and we know that the upcoming malibu has already been designed, so they probably filed the patent a while back.

the rear lights are also classic impala.
Rear ligths are not classic Impala !!!!!. The chevy tradition is this:

Bel Airs and Biscaynes: double ( 2 ) rear ligths.

Impalas and Caprices: triple ( 3 ) rear ligths.

The double rear ligths of the 90 's Impala are a design big mistake. Remember the discusions about that.

This car is the new 2012 Malibu. I think is a very conservative and outdated design for 2012 model .

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

ha ha ha ... 1964?? Maybe some retro and atractive lines from the 60's Chevy cars work better than this plain design. This car is sooooooo 80 and 90's Acoord-Camry!!!!! Is definitly boring.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I find it hard to believe that everyone has already labeled this car a design failure based on patent drawings. I'm going to wait until the actual car is revealed before I make any decisions. There might be a lot of nuances in the detailing that will make this car stand out from the crowd. I don't think these drawings really reveal those nuances. I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that this car actually looks somewhat promising.

I really can't decide if it's the next gen Malibu or Impala. Rumor has it that the next gen Malibu was going to adopt some design cues from the Camaro and incorporate a Bangle-esque rear treatment. The car in these drawings seems to have these elements. I'm leaning towards Malibu.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
the headlights look like the same shape as the ones on the new Regal

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a lendering based on those images

LINK

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imho it's a Lot better (as well as a Lot bigger) than the Sebring
but
still like the current Malibu's greenhouse MUCH better
if they put this front end and Esp! the rear on the Malibu, that'd be sweet
tho
since the Malibu & Impala will share a platform, still think this is/oughta-be the Impala - just looks more like they're aiming at the Taurus here

·
Registered
384 Posts
Looking at this rendering, it is almost surely the Malibu. The three view drawings fail to convey how this car will look in real life. What I'm thinking is that it will look a lot sleeker from certain angles, especially the rear quarter. While the dual tail lights on each side have been already correctly identified as a Bel Air motif, they are a definite improvement on the current design. It is true that there are things to be considered here, mainly what the next Camry or Accord will look like. After all, the current models of those are in their fourth and third model year respectively. The chances are good that neither will raise the bar for style, and despite a basically attractive shape, the Sonata isn't the one setting the pace. Will the replacement for those two be as bland and ugly as the current models, if so, then the Malibu has a chance to come out a winner. One good question to ask is what the next Fusion will look like. That will be important.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This looks better than anything in its class now. It has a nice aggressive sportiness to it, with a good dallop of luxury overtones.

I would love to see this on the road...but I agree with MaxLegroom, only if the next Fusion looks even better.

I'm not sure what the next Fusion design will take inspiration from. Though I really like the new Focus, I don't think a larger version of the Focus design would work.

With Taurus soon to be a stretched Fusion, they need to avoid making them too similar, so I doubt we will see a mini-Taurus.

Any thoughts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ imho the current Malibu has a very dignified, upscale shape

&
I'll be dipped if I can figure what Ford's going to come up with next style-wise, Logan
considering how different the new Focus is from the Fiesta (which was far more predictably Kinetic imho)
& considering how much I love the new Focus...
...imho the FusionMondeo merger redesign can't be anything but metallic-sex - - unless they've decided that the most mainstream (U.S.) of all sizes (midsize) should be a bit more 'restrained' - but -
considering how
me said:
"gorgeously-impressive, impressively-gorgeous" the Taurus is...

...Could someone please speed-up the start of the the NYC Autoshow? please?
Could we cancel May & July-thru-Oct so the next round of autoshows could start sooner???
(I left June in for the Explorer intro ;))
((EEK - just checked on the Texas State Fair - which doesn't start until Sept??? Is there more than one?))

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts