Ford Inside News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Rolls-Royce and Bentley have nothing to worry about.

Reviving 'Maybach' as a trim level on a MB is a half-assed attempt to compete with RR and Bentley. MB is not an exclusive brand. Plus, who will know this is a $300k car when they see one on the road? People are going to see it as a stretched S-Class and not a ultra-luxury sedan.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

sooo busy / over-done / tasteless-extravagance:

- the emperor's new clothes would be better
- clowncar
- SouthPark 'smug' episode
- "oh look, the trailer-trash won the lottery"
- all that's missing is the gold-plating (afaik)
I don't see that at all, I think it looks great.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Reviving 'Maybach' as a trim level on a MB is a half-assed attempt to compete with RR and Bentley. MB is not an exclusive brand. Plus, who will know this is a $300k car when they see one on the road? People are going to see it as a stretched S-Class and not a ultra-luxury sedan.
Their going to sell a bunch of these and make big money doing it! One of the big problems with Maybach as a stand alone brand IMO was they looked to much like a stretched S-Class for the price they were asking.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Their going to sell a bunch of these and make big money doing it! One of the big problems with Maybach as a stand alone brand IMO was they looked to much like a stretched S-Class for the price they were asking.
These will be ignored by ultra-discerning buyers. You can't beat RR and Bentley's design and craftsmanship.

Yes, the problem with Maybach was that they were poorly designed and overpriced (more expensive than a Phantom).

No, the S-Class looked like the Maybach. Maybachs were out years before the previous generation S-Class came out.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
These will be ignored by ultra-discerning buyers. You can't beat RR and Bentley's design and craftsmanship.
RR = BMW, Bentley = VW/Audi

I see no reason Mercedes cannot build an equally well appointed and crafted S-Class. No, Mercedes doesn't have the historical brand prestige of a RR, but then honestly Bentley didn't either and VW has done a nice job of raising that bar. Yes Bentley and RR were basically twins at one point, but that was truly at RR's low point.

I'm not suggesting this Maybach S-Class will truly rival RR, I'm just saying I believe there is a market for an executive car that doesn't come off quite as snobbish as RR can.

·
Registered
287 Posts

You're forgetting that some people exist that are conservative, tasteful, and that don't want to rub their insane wealth in the faces of normal people.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
You're forgetting that some people exist that are conservative, tasteful, and that don't want to rub their insane wealth in the faces of normal people.
The people that don't want to rub their wealth into the faces of average people buy cars that average people drive. How many normal people can actually afford a six figure car?!?

Also, there's nothing tasteful and conservative about this S-Class!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wish Benz the best...
Their upcoming S65 Cabriolet will be magnificent.
However, for a FORMAL looking limo, the aero roof design...
I don't think that that is the way to go.
The Phantom cut is pretty much it.
Though the interior looked very interesting...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the colors are great, and there's no doubt that the materials are top-notch. But the diamond-pane quilting on the seating and adjacent surfaces is tacky. Frumpy, even.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Dear Maybach,

Thank you for providing us the customers who looked at the Maybach, and then came to us for their purchase of an actual ultra luxury sedan. Your tarted up S Klasse is the most convincing argument for our Phantom or Mulsanne that we have ever seen, and we applaud your dedication to our marketing efforts.

With much love,

Bentley & Rolls Royce

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Mercedes really has never made anything above the current S class since the Original Pullman, since then, its been downhill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts