Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Porsche Macan SUV Performance Specs Purportedly Leaked

In it, we see that there are three models beginning with the Macan S powered by a 3.0-liter V6 gasoline unit (possibly based on Audi's supercharged 3.0 TFSI) delivering 340HP (it could be PS) and 460Nm (339 lb-ft) for a 0-100km/h (62mph) sprint time of 5.5 seconds and a top speed of 254km/h (158mph). This version tips the scales at a rather hefty 1,928kg (4,250 pounds).
Last but not least, there's the Macan Turbo featuring Porsche's new 3.6-liter turbocharged V6 twisting out 400HP and 550Nm (406 lb-ft) in this application, for a 0-100km/h (62mph) time of 4.8 seconds and a top speed of 269 km/h.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/new-porsche-macan-suv-performance-specs.html

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Because the Audi SQ5 with similar power ratings is significantly faster than the quoted figures for the Macan S, and Porsche is notorious for underrating its performance figures I assume it will be quite fleet of foot. I believe that the MKC should receive a 2.3 EB or 2.7 Nano V6 performance variant within a few years of its debut.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
2.3L EB launches in January.

MKX also gets performance version, with V6 EB.
If it drives anything like the Explorer Sport it will simply not register in the same league as the performance utility vehicles in this class. Can we also expect the Gen IV Haldex system with active torque vectoring for the MKC performance variant as well instead of the JTEKT AWD system as used in the Escape?

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
If it drives anything like the Explorer Sport it will simply not register in the same league as the performance utility vehicles in this class. Can we also expect the Gen IV Haldex system with active torque vectoring for the MKC performance variant as well instead of the JTEKT AWD system as used in the Escape?
As a 7 passenger large SUV, my Explorer Sport is not only the perfect family vehicle, but it surprises everyone who tries to overtake me, and it actually gets respectable fuel economy. Can't think of anything else, that does all that. Can you.

And one thing has nothing to do with the other.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
As a 7 passenger large SUV, my Explorer Sport is not only the perfect family vehicle, but it surprises everyone who tries to overtake me, and it actually gets respectable fuel economy. Can't think of anything else, that does all that. Can you.

And one thing has nothing to do with the other.
My point being that the MKX EB would need to excellent dynamically in a way that the Explorer Sport is simply not to truly compete with the performance variants in this class. It appears that you also ignored my question about the AWD system expected for the MKC.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree with germeez. His point is being fast is not enough. It has to have those sports car dynamics as well. The Explorer Sport could never take a SRT8 cheerokee on the track and its not supposed to, its not tuned for that but thats what we want. We want a MKX and MKC that's more than just fast in a straight line. We want them to be able to hold their own against a Macan, Cayenne, s5, etc. We want it to be track ready. I don't think it will be but I'm holding out hope that the RedLabel (If its what we think it is) will be more than just a engine upgrade with a body kit. I want a RedLabel MKZ to be able to out-perform a s6.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
My point being that the MKX EB would need to excellent dynamically in a way that the Explorer Sport is simply not to truly compete with the performance variants in this class. It appears that you also ignored my question about the AWD system expected for the MKC.
You really need to drive a Ford product every once in a while.
But that said, my Sport is not biased for track performance, but it scoots with the best out there.
That's the way I like it. And that's the way most people prefer their Luxury performance CUV. And I'm not impressed with any one who "tunes" their 5000lb CUV in a track in Germany. That's just pathetically lame.

Oh, and I did in fact notice your question.

:smile:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I agree with germeez. His point is being fast is not enough. It has to have those sports car dynamics as well. The Explorer Sport could never take a SRT8 cheerokee on the track and its not supposed to, its not tuned for that but thats what we want. We want a MKX and MKC that's more than just fast in a straight line. We want them to be able to hold their own against a Macan, Cayenne, s5, etc. We want it to be track ready. I don't think it will be but I'm holding out hope that the RedLabel (If its what we think it is) will be more than just a engine upgrade with a body kit. I want a RedLabel MKZ to be able to out-perform a s6.
Unless there is a new transfer case that can push the majority of power to the rear then the dynamics of Lincoln's will never approach that of the Macan, Cayenne, S5, etc., that doesn't mean they cannot be fast and fun to drive. It is interesting though that neither Acura nor Lexus do performance CUVs so the fact that Lincoln is even going to try is a positive.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
You really need to drive a Ford product every once in a while.
But that said, my Sport is not biased for track performance, but it scoots with the best out there.
That's the way I like it. And that's the way most people prefer their Luxury performance CUV. And I'm not impressed with any one who "tunes" their 5000lb CUV in a track in Germany. That's just pathetically lame.

Oh, and I did in fact notice your question.

:smile:
Do you think that my knowledge of Ford, and Lincoln products which is of course tied into the fact that I benefit directly from the success of Ford comes from thin air? You like to use the word I, and I of course would not debate your opinion but I will suggest that Lincoln needs more loyalist than just you to sustain a brand. Your Explorer Sport while quite fleet of foot compared to the rest of the Explorer lineup certainly does not scoot with the best out there. I would encourage you to perhaps spend a bit of time driving the competition.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Do you think that my knowledge of Ford, and Lincoln products which is of course tied into the fact that I benefit directly from the success of Ford comes from thin air? You like to use the word I, and I of course would not debate your opinion but I will suggest that Lincoln needs more loyalist than just you to sustain a brand. Your Explorer Sport while quite fleet of foot compared to the rest of the Explorer lineup certainly does not scoot with the best out there. I would encourage you to perhaps spend a bit of time driving the competition.
Show me a 3 row, 7 passenger SUV that can give me the performance, utility, roominess and decent fuel economy for the money, and I will buy it. I already looked.

or is cost not a factory when you consider better?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Show me a 3 row, 7 passenger SUV that can give me the performance, utility, roominess and decent fuel economy for the money, and I will buy it. I already looked.

or is cost not a factory when you consider better?
I find the Explorer Sport quite compelling although it leaves me a bit cold aesthetically as far as the exterior is concerned. I also find that it does definitely suffer a bit dynamically in comparison to its more expensive competition but also in comparison to its direct competitor the Durango. True one would often have to pay a bit more money to exceed the Explorer Sport but its pricing definitely allows one to consider better vehicles for a price not utterly divergent from the Explorer Sport. I would also suggest that a Durango R/T with the Hemi / ZF 8 speed combination plays the Explorer close in some areas, and is actually better in other areas.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I find the Explorer Sport quite compelling although it leaves me a bit cold aesthetically as far as the exterior is concerned. I also find that it does definitely suffer a bit dynamically in comparison to its more expensive competition but also in comparison to its direct competitor the Durango. True one would often have to pay a bit more money to exceed the Explorer Sport but its pricing definitely allows one to consider better vehicles for a price not utterly divergent from the Explorer Sport. I would also suggest that a Durango R/T with the Hemi / ZF 8 speed combination plays the Explorer close in some areas, and is actually better in other areas.
As much as I love Ford and the explorer, it wouldnt be easy for me to choose it over the Durango...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts