Ford Inside News banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Makes me wonder if D6 can handle a V8 which way will it be mounted?
My mind started wandering while I thought about this during lunch and did some searches to see if there ever was a transverse RWD vehicle some stated you could always remove the front drive shafts of an AWD vehicle then someone brought up Ford's T drive concept from the 90s which was a sideways mounted I6 and I8 :surprise2: RWD architecture. They eventually abandoned it because of reliability and vibrations. Realistically the engine I would imagine be N/S facing but we shall see!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My mind started wandering while I thought about this during lunch and did some searches to see if there ever was a transverse RWD vehicle some stated you could always remove the front drive shafts of an AWD vehicle then someone brought up Ford's T drive concept from the 90s which was a sideways mounted I6 and I8 :surprise2: RWD architecture. They eventually abandoned it because of reliability and vibrations. Realistically the engine I would imagine be N/S facing but we shall see!
Never heard of the T-drive concept. Looked it up and saw they did see they did a Tempo with a DOHC Inline 8 :)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
not a new thought but sorta from the other direction...

we'd heard about a new, smaller, closer-to-4L, v8 a while ago
what IF
the 4.8approxLiter(289") v8 was not the first priority?
but
that's just the largest they could stretch the smaller one (4.0-4.4)??
& we're just hearing about this bigger variant first???

·
Registered
60 Posts
not a new thought but sorta from the other direction...

we'd heard about a new, smaller, closer-to-4L, v8 a while ago
what IF
the 4.8approxLiter(289") v8 was not the first priority?
but
that's just the largest they could stretch the smaller one (4.0-4.4)??
& we're just hearing about this bigger variant first???
Nano V8 ...something like that wasn't it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I keep getting this sense that large gasoline engines stll have an important role in
Super duty and Medium Duty trucks. At the moment, the 6.2 V8 and 6.8 V10
seem to be filling those roles well in F250 and F650 but the trucks between and
above, not so much...

So that got me wondering if a larger gas engine of say, 7.0 liters would be of
benefit in the F350-F550 zone while an even bigger gas engine (7.5-8.0 liters)
would be an even better fit for the Medium Dutys...

See, I have this feeling that the big gas engines give a grea up front price discount
to buyers wanting a capable truck but not necessarily one that will be maxed out
by towing or pay load, just dependable mechanics in a larger package.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I keep getting this sense that large gasoline engines stll have an important role in
Super duty and Medium Duty trucks. At the moment, the 6.2 V8 and 6.8 V10
seem to be filling those roles well in F250 and F650 but the trucks between and
above, not so much...

So that got me wondering if a larger gas engine of say, 7.0 liters would be of
benefit in the F350-F550 zone while an even bigger gas engine (7.5-8.0 liters)
would be an even better fit for the Medium Dutys...

See, I have this feeling that the big gas engines give a grea up front price discount
to buyers wanting a capable truck but not necessarily one that will be maxed out
by towing or pay load, just dependable mechanics in a larger package.
I think a 4 valve 7 liter might be the hot ticket to replace the V10. That should work well in the F750 too. Ford can add mild boost if they feel the need for more torque.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think a 4 valve 7 liter might be the hot ticket to replace the V10. That should work well in the F750 too. Ford can add mild boost if they feel the need for more torque.
The issue is that the 6.8 V10 is not quite big enough for medium Duty trucks.
Yes, the 7.0 V8 should add nore gasoline sales to the larger Super Duty trucks and probably add
more efficiency to the Medium Dutys but really an even bigger gas engine would be the ticket for them...

41 - 50 of 50 Posts