1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Ford Galaxy To Be Bigger

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/next-ford-galaxy-to-be-bigger-47392.html

View attachment 3257

Ford is working hard to develop a new generation of the Galaxy MPV, a vehicle that is set to make its debut in 2013 and it seems that the carmaker will give us an even more spacious car.

The new Galaxy, as well as its sister car, the S-Max, will be underpinned by the new Mondeo’s platform, which uses the CD391 internal code. The upcoming architecture will be both longer and wider than the current one, which means that the MPVs will offer even more room inside. It remains to be seen how designers will split the extra space between the passenger and the luggage compartments.

The future Galaxy and S-Max will also use new powerplants and among these engines we expect to find a beefier 1.6-liter TDCi oil burner and maybe a 1.5-liter TDCi. The vehicles are expected to make their debut at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hopefully Ford will bring the larger Galaxy/S-Max stateside to do battle with Toyota and Honda.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...the CD391 internal code. The upcoming architecture will be both longer and wider than the current one...
well imho this sounds like the CD4+3 variant of the Mondeo/Fusion platform - the "3" is said to refer to extra WIDTH
(the possible amount of length increase is unknown)
&
if that's the case, maybe this does indicate a global replacement for the Flex

Wonder if the euro-market is still fixated on 'aero-pods' or if they'd accept a style descended from the Flex - which is kinda 'Bauhaus' imho anyway

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
since it's theoretically the same CD4+3 platform...
(or at least the CD4 !)...

Spied: Next-Gen Ford S-Max Spied Testing In America - AutomobileMag
Written by: Evan McCausland
on July 18 2012 6:15 AM

...what’s this? Our spies recently caught what appears to be a super-stretched C-Max prototype testing out west.

Let’s start with the obvious question: is this just a Grand C-Max? The photos suggest the answer to that question is a resounding “no.” A quick look at the vehicle’s hind quarters not only reveals the rear sliding doors have been sectioned and stretched, but that a similar treatment has been applied to most surfaces aft of the C-pillars. The rear wheel wells no longer meet the rear edge of the sliding door, the rear bumper no longer wraps all the way around to the wheel wells, and the D-pillars are roughly three times as thick as those on a stock Grand C-Max. The cant rails that frame the roof also appear thicker, and it almost appears as if the front fascia has also been widened ever so slightly

So, if this isn’t a Grand C-Max, what is it? A larger Ford minivan/MPV, obviously, although it’s not likely the European Galaxy, as Galaxy mules recently photographed by Autocar look completely different. Our spy photographer suggests this is an early mule for a next-generation Ford S-Max MPV...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ford and GM foolishly surrendered the domestic minivan market to Chrysler putting all of their eggs in the crossover basket. It's insane that GM didn't use the lambda platform for at least one minivan; instead they've made four crossovers and will probably make a fifth for Cadillac. While they have been selling well, there are those who simply want a minivan and have been shunned by GM and Ford forcing them into a Chrysler dealership, or worse yet, a foreign competitor's store. In addition, once the new Explorer hit the market, Ford should've dropped the Flex in favor of a minivan built on that LWB platform. Minivans are great people movers offering more room, convenience, and fuel economy than most SUVs and crossovers. Those with smaller kids know the convenience of sliding doors, low step in height, and modular/removable seating, all features the "classier" crossovers lack. There obviously is a market for good minivans and right now the Asians are making the best ones. GM and Ford are fully capable of competing head to head with them if they choose to. Chrysler's minivans have evolved slowly and they are the best they've ever been but they still aren't the best on the market and a new platform is necessary.

·
Registered
30 Posts

...what’s this? Our spies recently caught what appears to be a super-stretched C-Max prototype testing out west.

Let’s start with the obvious question: is this just a Grand C-Max? The photos suggest the answer to that question is a resounding “no.” A quick look at the vehicle’s hind quarters not only reveals the rear sliding doors have been sectioned and stretched, but that a similar treatment has been applied to most surfaces aft of the C-pillars. The rear wheel wells no longer meet the rear edge of the sliding door, the rear bumper no longer wraps all the way around to the wheel wells, and the D-pillars are roughly three times as thick as those on a stock Grand C-Max. The cant rails that frame the roof also appear thicker, and it almost appears as if the front fascia has also been widened ever so slightly

So, if this isn’t a Grand C-Max, what is it? A larger Ford minivan/MPV, obviously, although it’s not likely the European Galaxy, as Galaxy mules recently photographed by Autocar look completely different. Our spy photographer suggests this is an early mule for a next-generation Ford S-Max MPV...
Good catch 2b2, but I'm thinking the author may have it wrong on this one. I believe the earlier Galaxy spy photos he references as showing a smaller vehicle than this aren't of the Galaxy at all, at least not in most cases, but of the next generation S Max. I say this because most of those pics show a vehicle with four, run of the mill swing out doors on a vehicle which appears to be just slightly larger than the current generation Galaxy at most. And of course, tnhe Galaxy only utilizes a sliding rear door, it's the S Max which has four standard doors and is a mpv rather than a minivan. A few of those older photos do indeed show sliding doors, but those photos look like little more than the S Max spy photos with a slightly if any longer sliding door in place of the regular, swing out doors the other mules are using.

Given that my guess is that those photos were, in most cases, actually of the next generation S Max and that the sliding door variant was either a new Grand S Max or a short wheelbase Galaxy, both of which would fill the same role and only one of which is likely to exist for that reason. I think this spy photo is either of a long wheelbase version of the next generation Galaxy or the only version of the next generation Galaxy if there is to be a Grand S Max.

So, put more simply, my guess is that we are about to see one of the two following lineups unfold

1: S Max (about the size of the current S Max)
Grand S Max (about the size of the current Galaxy)
Galaxy (longer wider minivan based on same platform as above)

2: S Max (about the size of the current S Max)
Galaxy (about the same length as the current Galaxy but a bit wider)
Galaxy XL (longer wheelbase version of the Galaxy)

Either way, that the pictured vehicle isn't intended for the American market seems almost unbelievable. I smell a Flex replacement and Ford reentering the minivan market, which would be a very big deal.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...my guess is that we are about to see one of the two following lineups unfold

1: S Max (about the size of the current S Max)
Grand S Max (about the size of the current Galaxy)
Galaxy (longer wider minivan based on same platform as above)

2: S Max (about the size of the current S Max)
Galaxy (about the same length as the current Galaxy but a bit wider)
Galaxy XL (longer wheelbase version of the Galaxy)

Either way, that the pictured vehicle isn't intended for the American market seems almost unbelievable. I smell a Flex replacement and Ford reentering the minivan market, which would be a very big deal.
holy synchronicity, Syr!! ...& DANG

swear I just posted this elsewhere TODAY(yesterday?) & now can't find it...
imho
Ford is working on 2 (TWO!) MPV/minivans
-- a smallish tho still 3-row S-Max based on the nextgen Edge platform
&
-- a slightly larger than current Galaxy based on the nextgen Explorer platform

(bizarre I can't find that post - remember saying that Fomoco better not use that "Galaxy" nameplate Or-Else
)

ps
I wouldn't rule out sliders on Both
maybe the smaller could have the B-Max's pillarless opening?

ps2
Ooo Ooo!
maybe they could call the bigger one the "F-Max"? which is how I look at their current offerings anyway
F-Max = Flex
E-Max = Explorer
D-Max = Edge

·
Registered
30 Posts
holy synchronicity, Syr!! ...& DANG

swear I just posted this elsewhere TODAY(yesterday?) & now can't find it...
imho
Ford is working on 2 (TWO!) MPV/minivans
-- a smallish tho still 3-row S-Max based on the nextgen Edge platform
&
-- a slightly larger than current Galaxy based on the nextgen Explorer platform

(bizarre I can't find that post - remember saying that Fomoco better not use that "Galaxy" nameplate Or-Else
)

ps
I wouldn't rule out sliders on Both
maybe the smaller could have the B-Max's pillarless opening?

ps2
Ooo Ooo!
maybe they could call the bigger one the "F-Max"? which is how I look at their current offerings anyway
F-Max = Flex
E-Max = Explorer
D-Max = Edge
LOL, agreed. I too think our thoughts on this issue line up almost exactly. With regard to platforms we'll see two basic versions of the CD4 platform, the CD4 platform we have now under the new Fusion which will also underpin the new Edge and upcoming S Max, and a longer CD4+ to underpin the next generation Taurus, Explorer, and Galaxy. I'm not convinced we'll see a Flex length platform going forward, not for Ford at least, although I think Galaxy will only miss the mark by three or four inches overall. This is what I see as a lineup going forward.

B-..........Ka

B3..........Fiesta.........B Max.........EcoSport

C3..........Focus.........C Max.........Escape

CD4........Fusion.........S Max.........Edge

CD+.......Taurus.........Galaxy.........Explorer

I referred to the stretched and widened CD as CD+ and the smaller B based Ka platform as B- strictly to show the relationship between those platforms, I have no idea what they will/would actually be called. That would give Ford an entire car, crossover, minivan, and mpv lineup based on three basic platforms. And of course, with the C and CD platforms being somewhat related, that can provide greater synergies going forward as well.

Of course you called virtually all of the above prior to my first post in the thread, I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in thinking this, I suspect exactly the same basic scenario is about to unfold.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
B-..........Ka

C3..........Focus.........C Max..........Escape

*really* like your chart

I hadn't thought of it that way before...columns A B & C
(which is funny cuz I love charts/graphs/Venn diagrams/maps/blueprints... )
&
afaik the name for the n.g.Taurus's platform is "CD4+3"
but don't have an Official source for that

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks 2b, graphs and charts are an everyday (all day) occurrence for me so I tend to end up placing everything into some kind of basic, structured format. Just habit I guess. I'd heard CD4.3, which I'm guessing is just another way of saying CD4+3 in this case, and suspect that might be the program which will spin off the next gen Taurus, Explorer, and Galaxy. Galaxy seems to be a lot further along than the rest though, and by some margin, which does potentially pose some questions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
not sure if you mean/remember:
the S-Max was the first EUCD vehicle
I remember, and if there is to be a repeat this time perhaps CD4.3 is further along than I thought. I'm dieing to hear a solid number for of overall length and wheelbase on that platform for a model like Taurus or Explorer. My guess for Taurus, given where the Fusion is, is a wheelbase in the 115 to 116 inch range and an overall length in the 196 to 198 inch range. That combined with another 3 inches of width should make for a very roomy car, much roomier than the current model ironically enough. And, with all wheel drive (standard or available), it could make for a very interesting basis for a Lincoln model.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I'm dieing to hear a solid number for of overall length and wheelbase on that platform for a model like Taurus or Explorer. My guess for Taurus, given where the Fusion is, is a wheelbase in the 115 to 116 inch range and an overall length in the 196 to 198 inch range. That combined with another 3 inches of width should make for a very roomy car, much roomier than the current model ironically enough. And, with all wheel drive (standard or available) (or some OtherWheelDrive :wink:), it could make for a very interesting basis for a Lincoln model.
THAT^s what I forgot to post before...

consider
(since 3"+ length ain't enuf imho)
Taurus 112.9" wlb :: newFusion/MKZ 112.2" wlb
Flex/T 117.9" wlb :: CD4+3 =? 117.2" wlb?
just as a speculation
&
if we apply overall lengths
Fusion.long = 191.7+5" = 196.7" ovl
MKZ.long = 194.1+5" = 199.1" ovl
or
we could do %/factor of wlb-to-ovl applied on a 117.2 wlb
Fusion proportions/long = 200.2" ovl
MKZ proportions/long = 202.7" ovl
which
imho
can give us a idea of the range of probable ovls
ALTHO
as implied (sorta) by that Poll,
imho
the CD4+3 will be capable of broader variations than the CD4
& of KIND not just DEGREE

edit/oops
forgot a 'therefor'...
Therefor
if the Flex is replaced by a CD4+3Explorer-based MPV/minivan
imho it wouldn't necessarily lose ANY interior room
and
may not even be shorter than the current Flex (202.3" ovl)
((kind *now* thinking F-Max = 202" ovl
n.g.Explorer = 197" ovl (current = 197.1" ovl) ))

"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

re-edit
^ almost makes me wonder if for the US the F-Max could actually use (some) Flex sheetmetal/styling on the ALL-New platform
...then make the euro-F-Max with S-Max panels/styling or just (to my eyes) more Generic styling???
Oh Wait...
(last edit, I promise)
the euro"Galaxy" wouldn't be anywhere near as long as the US F-Max -- kinda gives even more reason to re-use Flex sheetmetal if possible
guessing:
"Galaxy" = 197" ovl max! (current 189.8")
then
S-Max would be close to 190" ovl (current 187.7")

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's certainly possible, and if you were going to pick a segment to make such a move within where the Taurus and Explorer play would be it, since rwd isn't typically the liability here it is in some other segments. That said, my personal suspicion is that every near future Ford branded product that is not a truck, truck based suv, or Mustang based car will be front wheel drive. And by near future, I mean products which are currently actually greenlit to move toward production.

Lincoln is another story, but even if a large rwd program is greenlit I think it more likely that it would borrow bits from CD4+3 than be CD4+3. Never know though, anything can happen.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

Spied: Next-Gen Ford S-Max Spied Testing In America - AutomobileMag
Written by: Evan McCausland
on July 18 2012 6:15 AM

Did anyone consider the possibilities that this was actually the test mule of the 2014 Transit Connect?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
B-..........Ka

C3..........Focus.........C Max.........Escape

...if the Flex is replaced by a CD4+3Explorer-based MPV/minivan
imho it wouldn't necessarily lose ANY interior room
and
may not even be shorter than the current Flex (202.3" ovl)

re-edit
^ almost makes me wonder if for the US the F-Max could actually use (some) Flex sheetmetal/styling on the ALL-New platform
...then make the euro-F-Max with S-Max panels/styling or just (to my eyes) more Generic styling???
Oh Wait...
(last edit, I promise)
the euro"Galaxy" wouldn't be anywhere near as long as the US F-Max -- kinda gives even more reason to re-use Flex sheetmetal if possible
guessing:
"Galaxy" = 197" ovl max! (current 189.8")
then
S-Max would be close to 190" ovl (current 187.7")
just thinking...

thinking the CD4+3 Flex2 could just add boot-space behind the Galaxy's 3rd row
so the Galaxy wouldn't have to be more than it's wheelbase-difference longer than the S-Max
&
** not sure about van nomenclature yet
&
"?" I'd like to see combo Cuv/MPV's for the smaller U.S. vehicles

so [copying]...
the CD4.2 platform for the Edge could use the S-Max's ONE inch longer wlb
& the Galaxy use the CD4+3's which might be the same as the current Flex's: 117.9 or there about
with short overhangs for the S-Max & Galaxy and a longer rear overhang for the nextgen Flex but otherwise the same structure as the Galaxy
S-Max 112.2/188
Galaxy 117.9/194
Flex 117.9/200+

also thinking the ng Galaxy might use (some) S-Max sheetmetal or at least style
while the ng Flex could keep (some of) the current Flex's sheetmetal or at least style (as well as the name or something suggestive of it)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts