Ford Inside News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spyshots: Next-Gen Ford S-Max Testing in America
Carscoops.com

The next-generation Ford S-Max, which was previewed by a concept vehicle showcased at the Frankfurt Motor Show last year, is being prepared for a 2015 model year launch as we speak.

Sporting Ford’s new global design language, the next-generation S-Max will most likely look like an enlarged Focus hatchback. Although the latest pics we’ve received from our spy photographers do not reveal the vehicle’s design, we think the S-Max concept is very close to what we’ll be getting.

You might notice that the prototype in the photos below has its rear doors disguised to look like minivan-style sliding doors. Don’t let that fool you, as the S-Max will be fitted with regular rear doors.

There’s no word on whether Ford plans to bring the S-Max to the US next year, but this camouflaged prototype was tested in America. Should we take that as a hint?

Head on over to Carscoops.com for lots more images

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
We don't need the S-Max. We need something more the size of the Galaxy.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The Mazda5 and Kia Rondo were flops, so I don't think the S-Max is well suited for the American marketplace.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Of particular interest to me are the small flaps in front of the entry doors. They are placed perfectly to cover an electric charging port (with a decoy on the passenger's side). Could Ford potentially be planning to continue the C-Max line in the U.S. with S-Max Hybrid and S-Max Energi in lieu of doing an Edge Hybrid/Energi?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ logical or at least consistent, Timf :joyous:
tho imho we're at the stage to expand offering Hybrids/Energis as "just-another-drivetrain" rather than on 'special' models

Dequindre said:
We don't need the S-Max. We need something more the size of the Galaxy.
Dequindre said:
The Mazda5 and Kia Rondo were flops, so I don't think the S-Max is well suited for the American marketplace.
the Galaxy is 2.1 inches longer and less than 2 inches taller than the S-Max
_ovl____wlb____w____ht________
191~~ - 111~~ . 73~~ - 66.5~ - Fairlane Concept (approx dimensions)
189.80 - 112.2 - 74.17 - 66.57 - Galaxy
187.70 - 112.2 - 74.17 - 65.20 - S-Max
180.50 - 108.3 - 68.90 - 63.60 - Mazda5
177.95 - 109.8 - 71.97 - 66.30 - Grand C-Max
173.60 - 104.3 - 72.00 - 63.90 - C-Max

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Replacement of the Flex?
Personally I would like to see the S-Max and Galaxy split relations.

S-Max would stay a mid-size MPV. You could give it another name for the US version, so that it would not be confused as a hybrid-only vehicle like the C-Max.

The Galaxy would then split as a full-size MPV and merge with the Flex.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of particular interest to me are the small flaps in front of the entry doors. They are placed perfectly to cover an electric charging port (with a decoy on the passenger's side). Could Ford potentially be planning to continue the C-Max line in the U.S. with S-Max Hybrid and S-Max Energi in lieu of doing an Edge Hybrid/Energi?
That could very well be the case, because to do the Edge Hybrid/Energi Ford has to have the AWD/RWD Hybrid system, which is not supposed to be ready for a few more years.

With the S-MAX riding on the same ICE/Hybrid/Energi platform as the Fusion/Mondeo, it would be as easy as adding a new S-MAX 'top hat'. Which is what is happening with the Focus, that shares the same ICE(Europe)/Hybrid/Energi platform as the C-MAX, where the 2015 refreshed Focus Hybrid and Energi is expected to be unveiled at the Geneva Auto Show in March.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replacement of the Flex?
I would think the Flex/MKT would need the longer next gen Taurus/MKS wheelbase. Right now the Flex/MKT has a long 117.9 inch wheelbase.

But this body style in Ice/Hybrid/Energi drivetrains would make a good addition to the Ford and Lincoln brands.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is how Ford defines the S-MAX:

"Call it what you will, MPV, people carrier or sport activity vehicle (SAV), the Ford S-MAX is an exclusive combination of premium sports styling and remarkable technology. This 7-seat SAV is also incredibly versatile and spacious, making it ideal for work or play. Its folding second- and third-row seats provide up to 32 possible seating and stowage configurations, giving you a multitude of options when it comes to who or what you want to put in it."

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Since the Edge is developed alongsisde the S-Max and Galaxy, it's possible they are stateside because that's where they are being developed. We may not actually see it sold here, but it's starting to look like it's possible especially with an Energie model. The C-Max has been quite the PR nightmare for Ford and sales have suffered, so it will be interesting to see if the S-Max launches as a Hybrid-only vehicle for the US instead of launching an Edge hybrid.

I doubt we will ever see a direct Flex successor, volume is too low and Ford wants to globalize their portfolio and the Flex is the only one not globalized. However, an S-Max would almost certainly replace the Flex's low volume with a non-traditional large 7-seat crossover that is sold globally. But, tbh, I have a hard time picturing wide adoption of the S-Max in the US, perhaps as a low volume hybrid exclusive nameplate like the C-Max...but a gas variant would likely get eaten up by Edge and Explorer. And it should also be pointed out that the S-Max concept never made the show-rounds in the US.

I don't agree with the comparison to the Kia Rondo and the Mazda 5-Series, they are dissimilar small 7-seat crossovers closer to the Grand C-Max (which I agree should not have been sold here).

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Since the Edge is developed alongsisde the S-Max and Galaxy, it's possible they are stateside because that's where they are being developed. We may not actually see it sold here, but it's starting to look like it's possible especially with an Energie model. The C-Max has been quite the PR nightmare for Ford and sales have suffered, so it will be interesting to see if the S-Max launches as a Hybrid-only vehicle for the US instead of launching an Edge hybrid.

I doubt we will ever see a direct Flex successor, volume is too low and Ford wants to globalize their portfolio and the Flex is the only one not globalized. However, an S-Max would almost certainly replace the Flex's low volume with a non-traditional large 7-seat crossover that is sold globally. But, tbh, I have a hard time picturing wide adoption of the S-Max in the US, perhaps as a low volume hybrid exclusive nameplate like the C-Max...but a gas variant would likely get eaten up by Edge and Explorer. And it should also be pointed out that the S-Max concept never made the show-rounds in the US.

I don't agree with the comparison to the Kia Rondo and the Mazda 5-Series, they are dissimilar small 7-seat crossovers closer to the Grand C-Max (which I agree should not have been sold here).
I don't really want to see any "-Max" vehicles here. To put it simply, they're ugly. Ford doesn't need ugly vehicles in the lineup, it will only tarnish the good name that they're making for themselves. In addition, Americans like crossovers, not MPV's. An Escape Hybrid, as well as an Edge Hybrid, would probably sell a lot better than the "-Max" vehicles.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think this will be Fords most aggressive grab at a piece of the minivan market, especially with offering hybrid and plug-in hybrid that the competition can't match. Remember, the original S-MAX is a real mini van/SAV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts