Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read a tid-bit from a fairly old article on LLN that the Navigator is being worked on for a next-gen version... is there any substance to this?

While we're at it, how do you guys think it'll stack up against a next-gen Escalade?

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Thanks for posting on FIN, sfbreh! I think the next gen Navigator will be better because the Escalade will still have a rear live axle which means no powerfold for the Escalade. A luxury SUV should have powerfold 3rd row. It takes two people to take the roe seat out. Also, the next Navi will probably have best in class fuel economy.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Thanks for posting on FIN, sfbreh! I think the next gen Navigator will be better because the Escalade will still have a rear live axle which means no powerfold for the Escalade. A luxury SUV should have powerfold 3rd row. It takes two people to take the roe seat out. Also, the next Navi will probably have best in class fuel economy.
Where did you get that the next-gen GM SUVs will have a live rear axle?

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
I recently read a tid-bit from a fairly old article on LLN that the Navigator is being worked on for a next-gen version... is there any substance to this?

While we're at it, how do you guys think it'll stack up against a next-gen Escalade?
Lincoln has promised to continue the Navigator, so we will have to see.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

I'm sure Fomoco is working on a Navigator...
...'course I want it to break from the nextgen Expedition/F-150 and be on the GRwdP as an extended version of a GRwdP Aviator & Territory
(co-platformed with the Continental & Falcon)
IF
they do ^that^
imho
the Lincolns will be global leaders
(I don't have a specific opinion about the Escalade)

·
Registered
112 Posts
According to this article from Motor Trend, http://http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-next-gen-2014-chevrolet-tahoe-spotted-on-the-streets-223931.html, the next gen Tahoe has been spied (with a fake oval on the grill) and will retain the solid rear axle.

From its side and rear profiles, we can tell the next-gen Tahoe will be boxier and more sharply styled than its somewhat-rounded predecessors. The 2014 Tahoe will get a new rear spoiler with an LED center-mounted stop light, and a tailgate that’s more square-cut than before. A glimpse at the rear also reveals this body-on-frame behemoth will likely retain its solid-rear axle.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-next-gen-2014-chevrolet-tahoe-spotted-on-the-streets-223931.html#ixzz1z3yGokoR
Of course, Motor Trend has been wrong many times before. And to me, the pics look like an Avalanche if you look at the pics of the rear.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
According to this article from Motor Trend, http://http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-next-gen-2014-chevrolet-tahoe-spotted-on-the-streets-223931.html, the next gen Tahoe has been spied (with a fake oval on the grill) and will retain the solid rear axle.

Of course, Motor Trend has been wrong many times before. And to me, the pics look like an Avalanche if you look at the pics of the rear.
Truck Trend also reported the same thing. I'm pretty sure it will still have it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I expect we'll see IRS this time around. The last ones were supposed to have it if it weren't for the push-ahead in 2005.
The Escalade is probably getting IRS or the Navigator?

I don't fully understand the lack of attention to the Expy and Navigator. They have refreshed every other product a dozen times, yet those two get neglected every time.
Yeah, the Expedition is more than a little bit dated looking at the very least; meanwhile, across the lineup, the Mustang gets updated yearly. The Navigator used to be great in like 2003-2005ish (we had 3), but then it just totally fell off in the next gen. It had much better competition from the Escalade, but brought nothing more to the table.

I even liked (like) the grille, but the rest of the excess and poorly placed chrome... just :yikes:

I'm sure Fomoco is working on a Navigator...
...'course I want it to break from the nextgen Expedition/F-150 and be on the GRwdP as an extended version of a GRwdP Aviator & Territory
(co-platformed with the Continental & Falcon)
IF
they do ^that^
imho
the Lincolns will be global leaders
(I don't have a specific opinion about the Escalade)
Interesting. You're suggesting the Navigator be unibody? Pardon my understanding otherwise, I'm not well-versed in Ford. GRwdP is the Global RWD?

The Continental should have a separate platform, for it to compete it'll need to be too expensive for a Falcon.

I don't see any reason why the Escalade can't get IRS, though.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
The Escalade is launching in January 2014, which is quite a bit further out from the rest of the lineup. This leads me to believe it will have IRS.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
The Escalade is launching in January 2014, which is quite a bit further out from the rest of the lineup. This leads me to believe it will have IRS.
What if the Escalade gets IRS but the Tahoe and Yukon retain their live rear axles? Is that a possibility?

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
That's what I'm thinking will happen.
It really makes the most sense. I'm afraid if the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon gets IRS the sales could decline. A live rear axle is way better for towing. I asked my neighbor would he rather have a Suburban with IRS and he said no way in ****! It wouldn't be the Suburban anymore with IRS.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
the Expedition is more than a little bit dated looking at the very least ... The Navigator used to be great......

...Interesting. You're suggesting the Navigator be unibody? Pardon my understanding otherwise, I'm not well-versed in Ford. GRwdP is the Global RWD?

The Continental should have a separate platform, for it to compete it'll need to be too expensive for a Falcon...
imho the "experiment" of sticking the crossgrid Kennedy-Continental grille on the Navi (& MKX) was understandable (if not exemplary) AT THE TIME
but
abandoning the Navi to be an Antique-Orphan with a grille that bears No Relationship to ANYthing done since is INEXCUSABLE!!

unibody like JEEPS? uhhhhhhhhh YUP
& the Falcon & Territory** share architecture/platforms
don't see why Lincoln can't
AND
*IF* Lincoln is to have any chance at success
imho
Fomoco has to be willing to engineer platforms which Lincoln will "access" to Lincoln-global-leader standards
THEN
decontent them for Ford Brand vehicles

(&

you got it:
GRwdP = Global Rwd Platform)

**ps
I can't verify it first hand but
I keep reading online how both the Falcon & Territory are (& have to be) super-tough to stand up to the Outback
(which afaik goes hand-in-glove with my rationale of the Lincolns being somewhat larger;
the Aussie vehicles thereby getting slightly over-built 'condensed' versions)

pps
for further heresy

I suggest Aviator/Navigator look for styling inspiration to HUMMER
for "Brutal Elegance"

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Navigator is begging for new engines... it needs it!

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
It really makes the most sense. I'm afraid if the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon gets IRS the sales could decline. A live rear axle is way better for towing. I asked my neighbor would he rather have a Suburban with IRS and he said no way in ****! It wouldn't be the Suburban anymore with IRS.
Yeah. With the way the market is segmented today, I suspect those buying large vehicles for passenger and cargo space are already opting for the Traverse/Enclave/Acadia versus the full-size SUVs.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Yeah. With the way the market is segmented today, I suspect those buying large vehicles for passenger and cargo space are already opting for the Traverse/Enclave/Acadia versus the full-size SUVs.
I remember the Expeditions without IRS were the most popular. Suvs today aren't workhorses like they were 10 or 20 years ago. Things need to change for Suv's. I would love to see the Bronco make a comeback. It has to be similar to the 1966-1977 generation. I think those would sell like hotcakes.

In your opinion, do you think IRS has improved enough to where it could make Suburban owners confident enough?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts