The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Generation Ford Edge Losing V6s
Production to stay in Oakville
FordInsideNews.com
July 5, 2011
By: Austin Rutherford

The Ford Edge has proved to be a major success ever since its debut for MY07. It is currently the best selling mid-size CUV in the United States. Though the face-lifted Edge is just a little over a year old, Ford is hard at work on its next generation.

FordInsideNews has learned through its source within Ford that the design for the next generation Edge has been finalized. This new design has already been shown to a small group of employees who will be working on the engineering preceding its introduction.

Like the 2013 Ford Fusion/ Mondeo and Lincoln MkZ, the next Edge will switch to a derivative of the CD4 platform. The current Edge is on a derivative of CD3, which is featured under the current Fusion and MkZ. Through a supplier source, FIN can also tell you that the Edge will stay in its current facility in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.

The biggest news that we can share with you about the next generation Ford Edge is that it will not offer a V6 engine. Our source within Ford has informed FIN that it will use two inline-4 EcoBoost engines. The first of these engines will start to be offered, before the all-new generation comes out, for MY12. This engine is the 2.0 I4 EcoBoost. The other EcoBoost engine that launches with the new model will most likely feature a higher liter, possibly that of the recently rumored 2.3 or 2.5 EcoBoosts. Could this mean the 2013 Ford Fusion will be I4 only?

Unless future information says otherwise, FIN believes that the next Edge will be Ford’s first retail turbo-only vehicle since the RS200 was produced in Europe back in the 1980s.

With Ford promising weight reductions throughout their lineup, we can expect a decent cut in weight, this coming in part thanks to the lighter engines. One of the problems with the current Edge has been its rather porky engineering.

The next-generation Edge should be expected in dealerships as a MY14. As FIN obtains more information, we will bring it to you.

Related Articles:

Ford Planning Product Blitz for Q1 2012
Ford to Show New Lincolns to Employees in July
2013: The Year of the New "D" Cars
SVT: 2013 GT500 and Fiesta ST

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I wonder if the Lincoln MKX will retain the V6. If so, then I would think a V6 is possible in the Edge for a "Titanium" model.

·
Registered
414 Posts
So Edge-mini (Verscape) and Edge-Normal will both be I4 only? Seems hard to differentiate them. Wonder if Explorer will become Edge-XL when it eventually (a way out I assume) moves away from D3.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I would give the 2.0 and 2.3 I4 Ecoboost to Edge. I'd also give the2.3 I4 Ecoboost to MKX replacement, but also add a 2.3 I4 Ecoboost Hybrid as Lincoln exclusive, giving it a nice HP boost along the way.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I would give the 2.0 and 2.3 I4 Ecoboost to Edge. I'd also give the2.3 I4 Ecoboost to MKX replacement, but also add a 2.3 I4 Ecoboost Hybrid as Lincoln exclusive, giving it a nice HP boost along the way.
2.3 base with the exclusive Lincoln V6 maybe?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Some of you need to start to understand that the days of an all 4-cylinder powered automobile lineup is just a few years away. When you look at the repugnant and punitive MPG standards that the party that hates automobiles (and loathes anything bigger than thoses) has heaped upon the automakers, you will have nothing but 4 cylinder engines standard in base vehicles of every sector.

As to the 4-cylinder Edge, I note that these are turbo-charged; the new Escape likely will start with non-turbocharged versions so there is a big difference already there between the two. And Ford does not build mediocre 4-cylinder products like Government Motors does with that boat anchor 1.4 turbo - which can't get out of its own way even at full throttle.

The author of this thread is consistently well informed and is appreciated. He's not some Chevrolet sycophant that fails to post informed Ford articles. What a breath of fresh air - and I doubt Rutherford will ever try to use an Explorer to snowplow through a snow bank and then whine cause it won't. Rutherford has common sense. Kudos!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Will the Edge be twinned with the European S-Max/Galaxy?
"twinned" ... don't think so, even if they (probably) share the new platform, cuz the S-Max/Galaxy (or at least the Galaxy) will have to stay 3-row.

it will be interesting to see how they allocate the engines, Ford Brand vs Lincoln - see EcoBoost Predictions thread

edit
was reminded elsewhere that it's also possible that some differentiation may wind up being whether either of both or ___ models get a specific (higher hp) EcoBoost engine in Fwd or Awd-only or both

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm... I kinda Like this idea It might give Lincoln something to boast about. Well... at least if they get a V-6 engine.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
So I wonder what will power the Edge Sport or IF there will be a sport.
saw someone (evidently not here) speculate that the Edge could be Ford's first ALL turbo-powered vehicle
so my speculation would be
Sport = 2.3/2.5EB 280/300hp Awd-only
mid = 2.0EB 240-250hp Fwd-or-Awd?
base = 1.6EB 180hp Fwd-only (assuming the new one will be lighter)((or maybe for an MPG model with a hybrid booster pack?))

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
saw someone (evidently not here) speculate that the Edge could be Ford's first ALL turbo-powered vehicle
so my speculation would be
Sport = 2.3/2.5EB 280/300hp Awd-only
mid = 2.0EB 240-250hp Fwd-or-Awd?
base = 1.6EB 180hp Fwd-only (assuming the new one will be lighter)((or maybe for an MPG model with a hybrid booster pack?))
Adding a Hybrid powertrain to the Edge would help. But would it be too much overlap with the Escape if the Escape keeps its hybrid model?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
^ most recent web stuff leans toward there being NO Escape Hybrid :yikes:
& anyway
imho hybrid should just be a drivetrain choice on every vehicle
("plain" gas or diesel could-&-will be optional tho :wink:)
But is there enough of a demand to do a hybrid version of every vehicle?

·
Registered
414 Posts
My guess on the hybrid front is it's a matter of supply. If ford can only make X hybrids due to parts (batt/trans) it makes sense to focus on the CMAX until component suppliers can support the volume of additional vehicles, including the Kuga.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^^ imho, unless hydrogen progresses much faster than I expect, or some other miracle occurs, I doubt they'll have a choice, Andrew

what I'd hope to see a modular-ization of the hybrid power pack so it'd be a lot easier to plug it into each model.

speaking personally, the Focus or Focus-based cars are less attractive without having a hybrid model - so hoping the Lincolnette "MKE" will get one even if the Focus itself doesn't

edit
knew I forgot something specifically about the Edge
the whole reason I mentioned "a hybrid booster pack" was
I'm not sure the 180hp 1.6EB would be enough ...OPINIONS?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I see a future problem for Ford here. The next Escape and the next Edge, both, will not have a V6 option... so, what set apart an Escape from an Edge? Both have 2 seats rows, both will have only 4cyl engines... i dont understand why 2 vehicles in the same market niche.certainly, the edge is more "midsize" crossover and the next Escape is a "compact" crossover. But for the public, this will be almost imperceptible. Maybe Ford could give a V6 engine option to the Edge in order to differentiate it from the Escape. Or, maybe, a 3 rows of seats....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm OK with only 4 cylinders, but hopefully they will continue to keep getting more refined. There are some pretty good 4 cylinders out there now (with respect to power/HP), but they still don't seem to run close to as smooth as a V6.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I see a future problem for Ford here. The next Escape and the next Edge, both, will not have a V6 option... so, what set apart an Escape from an Edge? Both have 2 seats rows, both will have only 4cyl engines... i dont understand why 2 vehicles in the same market niche.certainly, the edge is more "midsize" crossover and the next Escape is a "compact" crossover. But for the public, this will be almost imperceptible. Maybe Ford could give a V6 engine option to the Edge in order to differentiate it from the Escape. Or, maybe, a 3 rows of seats....
F.L., imho there's (been) a major difference in size between the Escape & Edge.
I'm only interested in small vehicles ... so guess which one I'd never consider buying or even renting...

then there's also MPG and cost-per-mile(which in the long run is only going up imho)
&
every little bit of weight difference means less engine is needed for the same feel of power

here's some speculation of just how many 4 cyl engines Ford could have in the near future
2.5EB ... 300HP
2.3EB ... 280
2.0EB ... 250
2.5 i4 ... 200-212
2.3 i4 ... 184-195
1.6EB ... 180
2.0 i4 ... 160-170
1.3EB ... 150
1.6 i4 ... 128-136
1.3 i4 ... 104-110

1 - 20 of 35 Posts