Ford Inside News banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford has been releasing a ton of information on their next generation of vehicles, but what about the Explorer Sport Trac? What will Ford do with this vehicle over the next few years? I would really like to know, thanks. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm pretty sure Ford is going to just continue producing a slightly revised version of the current Sport Trac after the new D4 Explorer comes out and then killing it off shortly after, probably getting replaced by a T6 Ranger, as mentioned before. So the Sport Trac name will probably die, but a 4-droo compact p/u still might be in the cards.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this next generation Ford Ranger also sounds interesting but it seems to me the Ranger would be positioned below the Sport Trac in price and content.

Wescoent over at GMI said a few months ago that there is a next Sport trac again based off the D4 Explorer. Kuzak kinda confirmed this also in an interview with MT, when he said that a Ridgeline like truck was "not inconseivable."
This sounds promising, do you still have the link Aus? I would like to read the thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ford has been releasing a ton of information on their next generation of vehicles, but what about the Explorer Sport Trac? What will Ford do with this vehicle over the next few years? I would really like to know, thanks. :)
Hi PA Dweller, this is Christine with Ford. I can tell you that production for the 2010 model year Sport Trac begins on June 15th. That's the only next gen info I can provide right now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi PA Dweller, this is Christine with Ford. I can tell you that production for the 2010 model year Sport Trac begins on June 15th. That's the only next gen info I can provide right now!
Thanks for the information, but can you tell me if the Sport's Trac will exist once the Explorer is redesigned? :confused:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
HI CHRISTINE!!
Great to see an official presence once again :)

may I ask if 'fomocona' your personal ID or whether other Ford reps use it too?
(think I saw your (first) name mentioned in a thread here a year ago or so -
wondering if you're the same Christine)

please forgive me if I'm being too nosey...
...just excited to see a direct response

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I personally can't wait to see the new explorer. Based on what I have seen out in the wild it appears that the mules with the next gen snout have gone into hiding but I'll keep my eyes open for them (prototypes should be out in the open late summer into early fall). And it's also nice to hear from a official Ford rep on this topic

·
Registered
282 Posts
I personally can't wait to see the new explorer. Based on what I have seen out in the wild it appears that the mules with the next gen snout have gone into hiding ...
All of the mules are based on Taurus X with some sheetmetal changes to the nose (to insure that the powertrain is getting proper cooling). You don't need to cobble up the rear of the vehicle in order to do powertrain testing. I doubt that you could tell from these whether there is going to be a Sport Trac or not.

You likely won't see any pre-production (body-in-white) vehicles for another year or more.

My Sophisticated Wild A$$ Guess (SWAG) is no Sport Trac off of the new Explorer chassis; 4 door Ranger/F100 off of the new T6 chassis.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
From what i heard, it was actually suppose to come out this year but got pushed back due to Fields not likely the design.
That's what I've been hearing as well and I guess they must be working on prototypes because as i mentioned before the Mules with the new schnoz seem to have completely gone off the radar recently so I would expect prototypes to begin hitting the streets in late summer or early fall

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
just a word on behalf of Mr. Fields (anyone notice I stopped calling him MkF quite some time ago?)

considering how strongly he's spoken about The Plan
and following The Plan,
imho it's not all that accurate to say a big change is happening because HE didn't like something
(tho that could easily happen at other Mfgs imho)

I'm sure there's a number of criteria encoded into The Plan, having not been met by the first version of the new Explorer, that are the real reasons for any further improvements deemed necessary before production.

re: the timing
think that's another case of multiple criteria
cuz
imho they could have begun production at Chicago just about any time they wanted to

·
Registered
282 Posts
Any delays on ANY vehicles are likely to be for monetary reasons or some major functional deficiency (I think this is what bit the Transit) in making the vehicle truly "world class". (Can you imagine the Transit in the US without a 3.5L EcoBoost, which will not fit in the current chassis ?)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts