·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spied: Ford S-Max testing in Dearborn
By Nat Shirley
Dec 27th, 2011
LLN

Our spy photographers have managed to capture a number of images of a S-Max mule undergoing testing within Ford ’s North American Product Development Center in Dearborn, a development that could mean Ford’s lineup will once again feature a minivan sometime in the future.

Though the mule is based on the Grand C-Max, an extended wheelbase and a larger rear cargo area suggest that the vehicle is a test bed for a next-generation S-Max. Ford nixed the idea of bringing the Grand C-Max to the states from Europe back in October, and the existence of this mule on our shores would certainly account for that decision – as a true seven-seater (the Grand C-Max is more of a 5+2), the S-Max would be better sized to suit American tastes.

Full text at link

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesn't make sense to me that a nextgen S-Max could have anything to do with a G.C-M
esp. when that's already stretched from the regular C-Max
_wlb___ovl___w_
112.2 - 187.7 - 74.2 - current S-Max
109.8 - 178.0 - 72.0 - G.C-M
104.2 - 172.4 - 71.8 - C-Max
Its just for the mule body. Im sure CD4 is still under it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That might be fine for small, young families but what about those with bigger families? The Flex should be replaced by a minivan on the same platform. With the Expedition, Explorer, Edge, Escape, and C-Max (goofy name), the crossover and SUV markets are covered. I love the name Galaxy for their minivan.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Its just for the mule body. Im sure CD4 is still under it.
I'm still ruminating about this testcar (...until NAIAS dis-embargoes anyway)
&
I'm CONVINCED this is NOT a S-Max NOR CD4

imho it's just a new GrandER C-Max
believe Fomoco decided the G.C-M wasn't big enough for the U.S. and that even Yurps wouldn't mind a skosh more room
so
this 'OneFord' that started out too-euro & is getting 'Mercan'plussized/McDonaldized
hope they make styling changes too
@ MKII(who likes it)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts