Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Re: New Focus to arrive by the end of 2018.

Hopefully the US gets the 1.5 Ecoboost as well, drove the 1.0 and the current Focus is just to heavy for it. Hopefully the next get loses some weight though. Not sure why they would drop the 2.0, thats got to be cheaper than the Ecoboost, plus it's not a bad little motor.

·
Registered
528 Posts

good .. about time.well about a year later than I hoped. EOY 2017 was my expectation and hope

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Hopefully the US gets the 1.5 Ecoboost as well, drove the 1.0 and the current Focus is just to heavy for it. Hopefully the next get loses some weight though. Not sure why they would drop the 2.0, thats got to be cheaper than the Ecoboost, plus it's not a bad little motor.
Biggest issue is the transmission. They need to rework the DCT or drop it all together, I think all the complaints and rebuilds in some cases have hurt sales.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

The naturally aspirated 2.0-liter I guess has become redundant that in Asia-Pacific, Ford replaced it with the 1.5 EcoBoost.
Price increase is minimal, but performance has improved and it gets a torque converter automatic instead of the dual-clutch transmission which has gained a bad reputation.

·
Registered
326 Posts

At least in North America, this is Ford's last chance in the C segment. More problems like the current generation's transmission and cramped interior, and the North American Focus will go the way of the Dodge Dart.

·
Registered
511 Posts

At least in North America, this is Ford's last chance in the C segment. More problems like the current generation's transmission and cramped interior, and the North American Focus will go the way of the Dodge Dart.
Meh, the Nth American market is not that resolute, Focus has passed its used by date and is now suffering against newer competitors. Cruze and Focus sales were neck and neck before NG Cruze arrived, we should expect a similar lift in sales when Ford eventually delivers its NG Focus.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts

Product cycle planning for current gen Focus probably goes back nearly a decade. It is a global car with global volumes (I believe still best selling car in the world) and timelines must be carefully planned, executed and not altered (usually at great cost), unless there is an exceptional reason to do so. And I don’t think taking a back seat to Cruze sales in NA would qualify as a reason. From what I am hearing and reading, they are preparing to take a huge leap forward toward reduced costs and complexity and improving quality, and of course, a much improved and very competitive product -- not just a bigger back seat and different sheet metal.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Product cycle planning for current gen Focus probably goes back nearly a decade. It is a global car with global volumes (I believe still best selling car in the world) and timelines must be carefully planned, executed and not altered (usually at great cost), unless there is an exceptional reason to do so. And I don’t think taking a back seat to Cruze sales in NA would qualify as a reason. From what I am hearing and reading, they are preparing to take a huge leap forward toward reduced costs and complexity and improving quality, and of course, a much improved and very competitive product -- not just a bigger back seat and different sheet metal.
Thanks for the very clear explanation ... people reall stuggle to understand "failure" and "planning" in cars

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

I wonder if the Mk4 Focus will still be made in Thailand for markets in Asia-Pacific. The C-segment in Asia, specially ASEAN has shrank dramatically because of better equipped B-segment cars and the growing popularity of CUVs and SUVs.
I wonder if Australia and maybe New Zealand can justify the production of the Mk4 Focus in Thailand.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

I wonder if the Mk4 Focus will still be made in Thailand for markets in Asia-Pacific. The C-segment in Asia, specially ASEAN has shrank dramatically because of better equipped B-segment cars and the growing popularity of CUVs and SUVs.
I wonder if Australia and maybe New Zealand can justify the production of the Mk4 Focus in Thailand.
Well with Ford pulling out of Australia for manufacturing then I think they would have no other choice right?

Reactions: igor2 and wingsnut

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Well with Ford pulling out of Australia for manufacturing then I think they would have no other choice right?
I meant hopefully the demand for the Focus in Australia is still high enough to justify Thai production.
While Ford is very competitive when it comes to SUVs and pickups in the Asia-Pacific/ ASEAN (contributing to the brands growth in the region), its cars particularly the C-segment Focus just isn't as popular.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Too late in America. And very too late in Europe

Too late for what??? We'd all like see 4 year product refresh cycles; however, Focus like most C segment cars is a bit low profit margin. It would have been nice to take advantage of the earlier Civic's problems, as it is the segment volume leader in North America, with a sooner introduction but the redesign sounds spot on to be more than competitive.

·
Registered
157 Posts

They said the Same thing about the 2012 Focus.

If Ford puts a Twist beam on the US Focus, I will have lost hope in this company.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: New Focus to arrive by the end of 2018(cy)

fwiw / AutoBild :angel

Ford Focus: Ford plant den Focus-Nachfolger als Weltauto. Es entstehen diverse Varianten, zu denen erstmals statt des dreitürigen Schräghecks ein zweitüriges Coupé gehören könnte. Weil die Plattform vom Zweitürer bis zum Kuga ein breites Spektrum abdecken muss, hält sich der Gewichtsverlust des nächsten Focus in Grenzen – die Rede ist von 50 Kilogramm.
google-translate:
Ford Focus: Ford plans the Focus successor as a world car. The result is a variety of variants, including a two-door coupé for the first time instead of the three-pitched corner. Because the platform needs to cover a broad spectrum from the second to the Kuga, the weight loss of the next focus is limited - the talk is of 50 kilograms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: New Focus to arrive by the end of 2018(cy)

fwiw / AutoBild :angel

Ford Focus: Ford plant den Focus-Nachfolger als Weltauto. Es entstehen diverse Varianten, zu denen erstmals statt des dreitürigen Schräghecks ein zweitüriges Coupé gehören könnte. Weil die Plattform vom Zweitürer bis zum Kuga ein breites Spektrum abdecken muss, hält sich der Gewichtsverlust des nächsten Focus in Grenzen – die Rede ist von 50 Kilogramm.
google-translate:
Ford Focus: Ford plans the Focus successor as a world car. The result is a variety of variants, including a two-door coupé for the first time instead of the three-pitched corner. Because the platform needs to cover a broad spectrum from the second to the Kuga, the weight loss of the next focus is limited - the talk is of 50 kilograms.
I think "three-pitched corner" means three-door hatch.
This is what Bing translate gives me: Ford Focus: Ford plans the focus's successor as world car. Various variants, which for the first time instead of the three-door sloping Stern a two-door Coupé could include are created. Because the platform of the two-door model must cover a wide range up to the Kuga, abides by the weight loss of the next focus in boundaries - the speech is of 50 kilograms.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
2019 Ford Focus with Production Body

2019 Ford Focus Reveals Its Production-Spec Body

Ford’s next-generation Focus has been spied testing with its all-new body for the first time, bathed in thick black and white camouflage.

Not expected to launch until the latter half of 2018, the new Focus will follow a similar formula to the current car but in its pursuit to better rival the Volkswagen Golf, Opel/Vauxhall Astra and Renault Megane, will be bigger than ever before and adopt a more spacious interior.
Read More: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/2019-ford-focus-reveals-its-production.html

Finally, they got rid of the minivan-style A-pillars that go over the strut towers but I'll miss the quarter windows on the rear pillars which was present on the Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3.

My guess, the Mk4 Focus will be revealed in Europe before the end of 2017, just like how the all-new Fiesta was unveiled in late 2016 (on sale mid-2017 in Europe).

1 - 20 of 710 Posts