Ford Inside News banner

661 - 680 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
@AM222

Full Article on that from paultan.org

https://paultan.org/2018/04/12/new-ford-focus-mk4-wont-be-made-sold-in-thailand/

In Thailand, the outgoing Focus is currently available in a single body-style (hatchback) and grade, powered by a 180 hp 1.5 litre EcoBoost engine. It is priced from over one million baht and is undercut by Japanese C-segment stalwarts such as the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla Altis.

The report’s sources say that the new Focus is unlikely to reach Thai showrooms as Ford has made it quite clear that it doesn’t intend to sell passenger cars in the market anymore, focusing on pick-up trucks (Ranger) and truck-based PPVs (Everest). The Detroit-based carmaker recently cancelled plans to make the latest Fiesta a Thai eco car.
When the going get tough, the tough give up, run away and go cry in a corner...

WAHHHHH!!!! The Japanese are beating me in the car segment!!!!!WAHHH!!!!!! :crying2::(

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Do you not believe in replacing a ruined car with a much better car anymore? Stop blaming the segment! Fight back! Stop surrendering to the Japanese...Giving up is not the solution.

Ford’s retreat from the Japanese-dominated Thai passenger car market mirrors that of fellow American brand Chevrolet. With no Thai-made ASEAN spec Fiesta and Focus, it’s not likely that the models will be offered in Malaysia as well, as sourcing them from Europe will mean uncompetitive pricing.
Ok...?

The bigger but lighter new Focus gets a new look, new variants (Subaru XV-style ‘Active’ is one), a simplified dashboard, fresh tech and new powertrains to take on the market-leading Volkswagen Golf, Renault Megane and Hyundai i30 in Europe. Details and pics here.
A nice, beautiful gallery to make everyone from the area jealous and even more mad at you.

Good job...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The one thing killing me on the new Focus talk is all the discussions of the new RS, even the Motor1 articles talking about the RS when we havent even seen the ST yet. The RS is a long ways away still.

Now as for the ST I'm curious to see what Ford does. Much of the speculation is that it will use a pumped up version of the 1.5 Ecoboost. All I know is if still FWD it better have a real deal mechanical LSD.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The one thing killing me on the new Focus talk is all the discussions of the new RS, even the Motor1 articles talking about the RS when we havent even seen the ST yet. The RS is a long ways away still.
The Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 Focus RS have all appeared after the mid-cycle refresh of the regular range was introduced. My guess is the same will happen with the all-new Mk4 Focus RS (assuming the next RS will push through).

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Now as for the ST I'm curious to see what Ford does. Much of the speculation is that it will use a pumped up version of the 1.5 Ecoboost. All I know is if still FWD it better have a real deal mechanical LSD.
The rumor is 275HP from a 1.5 liter (not even 92CI, there are motorcycles with larger displacement engines!) three cylinder! It is insane the kind of power that can be generated with small displacement engines these days!!!!

Edit: For comparison, my first car was a 1977 Grand Prix with the big Pontiac 400ci/6.6L engine and produced a whopping 180HP! If that engine put out the same power per liter it would have made 1210HP! It would have been a lot of fun!!!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
"...The most interesting part of the new Ford Focus ST comes under the engine, as the company is reportedly going to replace the existing 2.0-liter petrol engine with a revised 1.5-liter turbo unit that, get this, will produce as much as 275hp in a bid to offer more power than the existing model..."

Ford HAS made ~180hp-per-liter with EB BUT Not for a production engine
- test 1.0EB &
- LeMans GT's 3.5EB... [are retail GT's 650hp?? / is that really 'production' anyway?]
imho
if the Focus-ST [FoST pronounced "FAHST"] gets 275hp, part will be electric...Like the FoRS ["Force"]
&
keep real production 150hp or less
imho

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I feel pretty sure that cost-cutting...to-profitability is a Major ComPoNent of all the tech being initiated for the Focuseses
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
mainly for the title:
Ford’s New Focus Platform Is a Cash Saver
TTAC
- Steph Willems - April 16, 2018

Beneath the recently unveiled next-generation Ford Focus is an architecture that stands to proliferate through the Ford ranks, underpinning models as large as the Ford Edge**

While American consumers won’t see the new Focus until the latter half of 2019, well after buyers in Europe and China (where the U.S.-bound model will be built), the unnamed platform, which barely got any type of billing during the model’s reveal, stands to bring Ford’s front-drive vehicles into the third decade of the 20th century.

Speaking to Automotive News, Joe Bakaj, Ford of Europe’s head of engineering, touted the new front-drive platform as the “holy grail.” It’s the first of five planned platforms that will shape the future of the Blue Oval lineup — and one that stands to help the automaker save $4 billion in engineering “efficiencies” in the next few years.

Where will the platform appear? It’s versatile enough for vehicles as small as the Fiesta (not that Americans can expect to see another generation of that model), as well as the Escape and midsize Edge. “It’s very scalable,” said Bakaj.

The current Focus rides atop the automaker’s global C platform, which forms the basis of the Lincoln MKC, Transit Connect, and soon-to-be-completely-dead C-Max. Meanwhile, the Edge utilizes Ford’s CD4 platform, shared with the likes of the Lincoln MKX (Nautilus for 2019), MKZ, Continental, and Ford Fusion. The Chinese-market Taurus — a wholly different vehicle than the aging and endangered U.S. model, also shares this architecture(oh really? ABB=cD4?).

Key to saving Ford money over the near term is the fitting of certain components (like air conditioning systems) that the shared platforms allows. Bakaj references common hard points and dimensions, like the length between the ball of the driver’s foot and the front axle, that makes this setup cost-effective.

“You won’t use every module from the bottom to the top, but you’d try and reuse as many modules as possible,” he said.

The other four architectures in development by Ford include a unibody, rear-drive platform — debuting with the 2020 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator — along with a body-on-frame truck/SUV platform, unibody van, and electric vehicle.

** tho I've seen posts that the Edge will be cD6

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I've never seen the auto mags care so much about what the platform is called.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is all beginning to make sense.

Hybrid DCTs are ready to support future modular ... - GETRAG
http://drivetrainforum.com/media/departments/communications/events_1/dtf/drivetrain/vortraege/20161020_GETRAG_DTF_Blessing.pdf

So.............
The Rumors are
Focus St 275hp from the EB 1.5

and
Focus RS "hybrid" with 400hp

In theory this would make sense if both were hybrids.

these is Getrag's new hybrid DCTs

6HCT200
ICE Max Torque = 170 ft/lbs
Span 8.0:1
Max E-machine power = 80hp

7HDT300
ICE Max Torque = 236 ft/lbs
Span 8.5:1
Max E-machine power =100HP

8HDT500 (unannounced)
ICE Max Torque = ~360 ft/lbs
Span 8.5:1
Max E-machine power = >100hp

sooo.....

In theory:

It would be possible to Attach a 180hp EB 1.5 to a 7HDT300 transaxle With a 100hp E-machine. for a 280 hp Power pack for the Focus ST

For the Focus RS you could See a 250hp Ecoboost 2.0 connected to a 8HDT500 or 7HDT300 transaxle with a 100HP E-machine + A GKN electric rear Axle.

GKN is responsible for the Torque vectoring AWD system on the Current RS
https://www.gkn.com/en/our-technology/2016/focus-rs/

GKN has this product called the "eTwinsterX" with Up to 160hp.
https://www.gkn.com/en/newsroom/news-releases/driveline/2018/gkns-next-generation-electric-vehicle-driveline-now-in-prototype-test-phase/

Even though the combined power would theoretically equal 500hp, it is highly unlikely that power would be sustainable for an extended period of time.

Those Are my thoughts.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
It is all beginning to make sense...

...Even though the combined power would theoretically equal 500hp, it is highly unlikely that power would be sustainable for an extended period of time.
Those Are my thoughts.
:thumb:
&
remember the Hybrids/Energis have had LESS than their theoretical combined total

141hp petrol+e(88kw/118hp)=188hp rating [but 259hp total]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Also the brilliant packaging of the new platform means that larger batteries will have less of an impact on interior room.

Hybrid batteries would still be in the cargo area but it may be possible to replace the spare tire with more batteries.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I noticed the All-new Focus Mk4 has no black cover (trim piece) on the inner portion of the window frames. So the metal portion is visible from the inside of the car. The RoTW Mk2 and Mk3 models have a black cover/trim piece which hides the metal portion.

Attachments

661 - 680 of 710 Posts