·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
catching-up/background...
2019 Jaguar XJ: "Stunning outside, luxurious inside" - Ian Callum
AutoCar.co.UK

by Hilton Holloway - 23 April 2016

The next-generation Jaguar XJ, expected to be launched around 2019, will be “something that is visually stunning on the outside and luxurious inside”, according to design boss Ian Callum.

Jaguar Land Rover is believed to have hotly debated the new XJ as it evaluated how to develop a flagship design for the next generation of cars while boosting sales in a class dominated by the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Discussions are understood to have swung as widely as dropping it from the line-up and developing a large SUV, to sticking with an ultra-conventional saloon.

Callum said the next generation could have a higher roofline to improve the rear packaging, but other changes could be more “nuanced”. The decision to stick with a saloon is said to be motivated by it still being recognised in most markets as a key differentiator of premium brands.

“The XJ today isn’t a traditional limousine,” said Callum. “It balances style, performance and comfort in a unique way. It’s a car with many admirers and it’s a car that establishes Jaguar’s credentials in quite a cool way.

“We could address head room, but other changes could be more detailed. We have a cool car. We don’t want to lose that.”

XJ to live on as super-luxury hybrid

After months of debate Jaguar bosses have finally pushed the button on reinventing the XJ as an “indulgent, super-luxury” car.

The new XJ is likely to feature mixed-materials body construction, a new-generation V6 hybrid drivetrain, an entirely fresh look for the interior and much more of the technology needed for connected and autonomous driving.

It’s expected to arrive in showrooms in spring 2019 and a concept version could be seen in 2018, the 50th anniversary of the original XJ. The image above shows Autocar's expectations for the model.

According to inside sources, the debate on how to replace Jaguar’s flagship model was wide-ranging. Some in the company thought the XJ could be remade as a kind of super-SUV similar in concept to the Range Rover Sport.

Others proposed an end for the XJ, believing the investment in a large saloon to take on the Mercedes-Benz S-Class might not make a sound business case. Sales of today’s XJ have risen steadily to 20,000 units per year, but that’s only a fraction of S-Class sales.

It was also suggested that the latest XF had undermined the case for the new XJ to be a conventional big saloon. Today’s XF, which is based on the latest D7a aluminium architecture, is marginally more spacious than the current seven-year-old XJ...

quite a bit more...

- - - - - - -

Jaguar XJ's Future Uncertain (...again?)
Motor1

By: Steven Ewing, Managing Editor - Apr 12, 2017

Stagnant sales and a focus on crossovers could render Jag's flagship XJ unnecessary...

It’s a good time to be Jaguar. And when you talk to David Larsen, general manager of North American product management, he’s positive and passionate about the full line of vehicles. But not necessarily the XJ.

Speaking to Motor1 at the New York Auto Show, Larsen is excited about Jaguar’s growth in the United States. The XE and XF get new four-cylinder engines for 2018, and the XE adds an S model. The F-Pace is the brand’s best-selling vehicle, and that momentum is only increasing – today, in fact, F-Pace was named World Car of the Year. The F-Type continues to captivate sports car shoppers, and adds a 2.0-liter turbo-four engine for 2018, which Larsen says will only “increase [its] attractiveness.” But when we asked about the XJ – and specifically, its future – that’s where the excitement seemed to stop.

“We had a facelift with 2016, so it is approaching the end of its lifecycle,” Larsen said of the flagship XJ. “We’re looking at, you know, future opportunities of where that could possibly go.” When we followed up with a question directly asking if a new generation of the XJ is in the works, Larsen simply told us, “I can’t confirm or deny” anything related to that.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
That rendering is absurd, visually stunning to be sure, but there is nothing luxurious about 5' tall and larger people having to sit with their heads cocked to one side to fit!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm really wondering if there will be a next gen XJ. Jaguar wants to focus on adding more SUV/CUV to the lineup as sedan sales are dropping. A drop in sales for segment is tough when the vehicles doesnt sell in large numbers anyways.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It makes you wonder what the future of large luxury sedans is but China is certainly propping up these type of vehicles. I think the margins and customer will sustain large luxury sedans longer than mass market sedans. Small luxury sedans will probably focus mostly on performance and sport while consumers looking for anything else will move into Crossovers or even Electrics. There will always be room for flagship sporting cars among those flagship marques like Jaguar.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just-imho
I look at the 1percenters of the planet (including their 'spawn')
&
believe they'll want an uberLux sedan (or 10) to go with their exotic sportscar(s) du jour.
And

think the 90-percentile rich-folkers(mis-spelled deliberately) will want to 'ape' them
so
a fluctuating group of panderers/mfgs will supply their 'need'.

but then, I'm a defender of Choice
so hope the occasional, un-herd-like (nonCuv) trickles down
:angel

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
That rendering is absurd, visually stunning to be sure, but there is nothing luxurious about 5' tall and larger people having to sit with their heads cocked to one side to fit!
Agreed about the idea.....I'll go one further and say I really don't think the rendering is that visually stunning either.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian Callum on Jaguar’s future(... ...again)
CarMagazine.co.UK
- Phil McNamara, Editor-in-chief - 27 December 2017

...‘I’ve never worked so hard and there’s no respite coming,’ he admits. ‘If somebody had said I’d be working on Jaguar SUVs and electric cars even seven or eight years ago, I’d have found that difficult to understand. But if you want to survive it’s about managing change.’
Could the next XJ go EV?

Back in summer 2016, CAR reported that Jaguar will use the EV platform for a five-door coupe-cum-saloon, which conceivably could replace the XJ as Jaguar’s flagship. Callum won’t be drawn, but smiles with obvious excitement at a car which is ‘nearly signed off’. ‘We’ve gone through a lot of debate on the XJ and come up with something quite special,’ he adds. ‘I won’t say when it’s coming but it’s not next year.’...
...2018 marks the fiftieth anniversary of the XJ, which Jaguar plans to celebrate in a big way.

The Series 1 XJ was the car that triggered the teenage Callum’s ambition to work for Jaguar. ‘As we work on the next one, I’ll make sure it holds onto the values of the first one and the latest one.’ For Callum, core Jaguar values are about producing cars that are exaggerated, desirable and dynamic.
How does the Project 8 fit into Jag’s brave new world?

With its supercharged V8 shoehorned into the XE’s nose, outrageous carbonfibre bodywork revised for cooling and downforce, and drive split between extended tracks, Project 8 is worlds away from I-Pace. ‘Internal combustion, V8 in the nose, sheer horsepower, mechanical drive: I think Project 8 is the last of its kind,’ muses Callum.
Jaguar Design: an ideas incubator

...‘At Jaguar, design instigates so much,’ the 63-year-old designer continues. ‘Management say “we like that car, let’s have a look at the product plan…”. The F-Type, iPace concept and E-Pace were all created in design, they weren’t in the plan. So was the C-X75 [supercar concept, that was pulled from production in 2012]: one day, one day…!’

But it’s not cars like the E-Pace or XF Sportbrake that are responsible for Callum’s busiest year, but future-gazing the Jags of 2020 and beyond.

‘The whole industry is in a moment of questioning, analysing and experimenting: if we could all jump forward 30 years [to when everything has settled down], we’d all be happy to do that...
... ‘The company makes a lot of money out of SUVs, and money out of sports cars, and you’ve got to protect those bookends,’ muses Callum. ‘If you want a brand to prosper, you need to create extremeties...

·
Registered
750 Posts
I’d be very surprised if it didn’t have an electric powertrain, at least as an option. My guess is we’ll see it late this year.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
electric flagship...

Jaguar Commits To Two (Sedan + SUV) Upscale, Luxury Electric Cars
INsideEVs.com - 1 year ago
by Eric Loveday

...Jaguar has announced that it’ll begin development on a pair of long-range luxury electric cars slated for release by 2018 or so...
...There’s little information on either vehicle at this point in time, but we do know that the X590 will be AWD, meaning that it should be positioned to directly compete with the Tesla Model S...
...According to a source close to the matter, production volume for the X590 could be as high as 30,000 units a year, while production estimates for the electric SUV are up to 50,000 annually.
just a chop of a chop

Jaguar XJ to transform into Tesla Model S rival
MotorAuthority
- Viknesh Vijayenthiran - Jan 22, 2018

Jaguar will turn the XJ into an electric sedan rivaling the Tesla Model S, according to Autocar which on Monday reported that an electric XJ will be revealed in late 2018 to mark this year's 50th anniversary of the nameplate. Sales are said to follow in 2019.

And it won't just be the powertrain that will reportedly be changing. Autocar also reports that the flagship sedan will become more of a hatch than a traditional sedan, something akin to the Porsche Panamera and aforementioned Model S.

Jaguar had been debating whether to return to a more conventional 3-box sedan shape for its next-generation XJ or stick with the current model's coupe-like design. The automaker at one point was even thought to be going with two distinct body styles for the car.

It seems that Jaguar will now focus on a coupe-like design, which is probably a good move as the design will help further distinguish the car from its German rivals. And going the electric route should also keep the car relevant in a segment that's seeing buyers switch to SUVs.

But what about those buyers, especially in China, looking for a roomier option in a flagship sedan? That's where sister company Land Rover will apparently fill the void. The new “Road Rover” model that we heard about last fall will reportedly be developed alongside the electric XJ, and this one should be roomier as it will be something of a blend between a sedan and SUV.

Jaguar already has the powertrain technology for electric cars. The automaker will start selling its I-Pace later this year. At launch, the small electric SUV will feature a 90-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery and a twin-motor drive system delivering a combined 400 horsepower, and its range should be about 220 miles. Given the modular nature of the powertrain's design, utilizing it for a future XJ shouldn't prove too much of a challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Make the next XJ only with electric powerplant could cut some sales from those customers that dont want an electric car. Optional electric powerplant is an smarter idea in this case.

The Range Rover "sedan" is going against the current trends (less sedans, more crossovers) , but maybe Land Rover need this kind of vehicle for those customers that want something different: a Range Rover sedan? Crazy, but different.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Make the next XJ only with electric powerplant could cut some sales from those customers that dont want an electric car. Optional electric powerplant is an smarter idea in this case.

The Range Rover "sedan" is going against the current trends (less sedans, more crossovers) , but maybe Land Rover need this kind of vehicle for those customers that want something different: a Range Rover sedan? Crazy, but different.
My guess is the "Road Rover" will more or less be a lowered Range Rover with a sort of notchback shape.....not dissimilar from the Volvo 40.2 concept:

I actually like the look quite a bit, and think it could be the next 'trend' in design as we see some manufacturers start to move away from the swoopy look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts