Ford Inside News banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
With how computerized transmissions are now you can have the same exact transmission in a sports car and a touring car but they will both feel totally different in shifting.
Shift tuning is everything. Apparently GM absolutely hit a home run with the 10 speed auto shift tuning in the ZL1. The 8L90E in some ways left much to be desired compared to the ZF 8HP.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Primary engineering for 10 speed was led by Ford, and GM for new 9 speed. Both companies develop their own case and controls, respectively, but save money in the massive tooling and development costs of guts.

My good friend and coworker was high on the controls development pecking order regarding the new 10 speed, and claims to have lost his hair during launch in F150, LOL. It appears that 10 speeds across several vehicle combinations and 6 or 7 user modes (hill, sand, snow, etc)….makes for one heck of a large task to tame.

I guess that a ZL1 application must have been quite a bit easier.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I see GM has announced the 10 speed for the '18 Chevy Tahoe and Suburban, so a good bet the high end 1500 Silverados' will get it also. On another note it has been 3 months since NAIAS, has anyone seen hp/torque numbers for the '18 F150 5.0? Any rumours on the '18 F150 5.0 getting factory dual exhaust? As Ram has had for years already and new Silverado 1500 pics all show duals on the new Chevy. Does anyone know if Ford has a power train site like GMs' power train site that shows complete HP/Torque curves?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Still no announcement of the Escalade receiving the 10 speed auto. Who is doing the product planning announcements over at GM? They should be tarred, and feathered.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Still no announcement of the Escalade receiving the 10 speed auto. Who is doing the product planning announcements over at GM? They should be tarred, and feathered.

They're using their 8-speed so I doubt they're in quite the rush Ford was.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
GM is only "leapfrogging Ford on transmissions" because that's how the agreement was worked out. Ford and GM worked together on both the 9-speed and 10-speed. Ford got first access to the 10-speed (and has used it in the trucks and now full size SUVs and Mustang), while GM got first access to the 9-speed (and they're putting it in a variety of models). In another year or two, we'll see Ford get the 9-speed, and GM get the 10-speed.

Also keep in mind, some of the products most likely to receive the 9-speed are about to be redesigned, so it wouldn't make sense for them to add it a model year before a redesign.
I don't believe that's the case. Ford and GM launched the 10-speed simultaneously this year with the Camaro ZL1 and Ford Raptor being the launch products. Ford's roll-out is more aggressive however.

For whatever reason this is not happening with the 9-Speed since 10 GM vehicles are getting it by the end of this year and no announcements from Ford. It may just be poor timing since GM is undergoing a massive ground-up product overhaul while Ford is midway through their last one. The next launch candidate for Ford might be the next-generation Escape which should be here in less than 2 years. The Focus and Fiesta obviously won't be using it. Lincoln may get the transmission for the first time with the MCE of MKX. It's possible this will just be plugged into existing products once Ford is happy with it, doesn't necessarily require a major update. I believe Ford is also still updating its plants for new transmission production. Ultimately I think Ford was right to prioritize 10-speed considering the significant benefits to their most important seller and the lack of 8-speed interims like GM.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
You've apparently missed the world famous designer right next to him who also counts VAG as a former employer. Luc himself is quite famous, and his designs are well respected.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Am I the only one to think that Ford hasn't done much lately for making people want to buy their new cars?

The fusion gets minor refreshes, even the recent refresh is light.

The Focus is getting a minor update which doesn't seem to me that I want to run out and buy it more than the current.

Their talking about a lot of new things in the pipeline, yet their not showing anything.

Do I think the new hybrid f series is going to be good....omg yes.

A hybrid cop vehicle is amazing as well.....saving gas and making us less dependent on a pipeline is awesome.

I want to see a new electric that's going to make GM seem like it's boring.

I'm getting off my soap box now.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Part of the boredom at Ford right now is that they seem to be in the middle of another turnaround effort to reconfigure their manufacturing and global product development strategy. I think we would be more excited if they were selling more cars which is another part of the problem, things look a little bleak unless you're an F-Series and Ford has some of the oldest products this side of FCA. I think Ford knows that the market is starting to see them as innovation stagnant with very little movement on interesting new product categories, technologies, and especially electrification. And Ford is sorta stuck in a PR situation where they are very successfully servicing the truck, van and fleet categories while coasting on aging cars and peaked out SUVs. Ford has never been positioned so low in the car business in its history, I don't think people realize how much they've lost in that business in just the last 16 months. In either case it was going to happen regardless but they have got to do something to replace those customers and I'm sure they'll get there when they have to. This is a company still learning the pitfalls of OneFord and I get a sense that these shifts in the market are causing some problems for that model and they are finding it very hard to run profitably with so many shrinking businesses.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts