Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think Chevy may have just unwittingly given Ford an "out" in the Fuel Economy wars.

Ford said it wanted to have the best standard fuel economy in each class where it competes. (I don't have a source for that quote at the moment.) The key word is "standard".

When GM seemed to be saying that all 1.4L equipped Cruzes would get 40 mpg there was as assumption that Ford would have to match it with the Focus. NEVER did anyone at Ford say the Focus would get 40 mpg, just that it would be best in class. Now that we know the 40 mpg is "optional" for the Cruze it's unlikely that Ford will feel obligated to tune the Focus to reach that target. It makes sense when you realize the the Focus has a naturally aspirated 2.0 and the Cruze is a turbocharged 1.4.

I suspect the most common Focus models will get 25/37 EPA mpg.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I think Chevy may have just unwittingly given Ford an "out" in the Fuel Economy wars.

Ford said it wanted to have the best standard fuel economy in each class where it competes. (I don't have a source for that quote at the moment.) The key word is "standard".

When GM seemed to be saying that all 1.4L equipped Cruzes would get 40 mpg there was as assumption that Ford would have to match it with the Focus. NEVER did anyone at Ford say the Focus would get 40 mpg, just that it would be best in class. Now that we know the 40 mpg is "optional" for the Cruze it's unlikely that Ford will feel obligated to tune the Focus to reach that target. It makes sense when you realize the the Focus has a naturally aspirated 2.0 and the Cruze is a turbocharged 1.4.

Bottom line, Toyota and Honda are not even in this game anyomore. They lost this battle a while back.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

Mulally reportedly let it slip on CCn that the Focus gets 41 mpg with the 2.0 DI.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

I for one I am glad this is a battle between Ford and Chevy. The Focus is going to probably be as good if not better from a mileage stand point. That Said, GM could always toss a BAS II into the Cruze and just kill the focus for about $1000.00 more, and I suspect the cruze is going to have a price advantage over Focus.

Anyways, Focus is now moved on into perhaps Astra territory, its not a fair comparison for the focus to match it to the Cruze, unless you are talking of the lower trim levels. Though a fully loaded Cruze is probably going to be in the Astra price range. I like the RS package. I could get our daughter into one base models with the RS package.

I guess we will see where this goes.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This is nice looking, but kinda bland next to the new Focus.

It looks a little like a shrunken Ford Five Hundred with Chevy's design signature from the side.

The same old Chevy front end on everything is getting old.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This is nice looking, but kinda bland next to the new Focus.

It looks a little like a shrunken Ford Five Hundred with Chevy's design signature from the side.

The same old Chevy front end on everything is getting old.
I have not seen the focus, but the cruze is very nice in person, at least in the LTZ trim I saw, fully loaded, its like an LTZ Malibu type luxury look, not a design triumph like Mustang or Camaro, but sort of right proportions, like the last generation acura TL.
The interior is where it really kicks ass, especially since the seats are two tone, a very well intergrated dash, with none of the "insert here stuff" really upgraded electronic suite (think Equinox) and Onstar, XM, etc, etc, USB ports, voice activated phone service...

also the materials are at the mid 20's import level, no hard plastics anywhere you will be touching, think VW type materials...

Rear independent suspension... quite cabin....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts