Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something that was brought to my attention to spark some good debate. Some on here used to debate that the LS was nothing but a failure for Lincoln since it was RWD only and was a huge money pit and that the MKZ was worlds better in every measurable aspect HOWEVER this is something interesting to see:

in 7 years the LS sold 245k cars
in 9 years the MKZ sold 235k cars

Granted the MKZ will most likely pass the LS this year but it was very telling to see this chart. I still think the DEW98 project and the LS had A TON of untapped potential. Imagine one stretched for a new flagship Continental and a coupe based one for a new Mark IX. Those projects would have helped pay off the platform... **** Jaguar is still using this platform and by now it must be a cash cow for them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The LS was a bright spot in a boring showroom at that time, and is still at least as interesting as anything currently in Lincoln dealerships.

I really hope that Ford takes rwd seriously going forward, and acknowledges that it's not just for Mustang and truck buyers.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Andrew said:
...Some on here used to debate that the LS was nothing but a failure for Lincoln since it was RWD only and was a huge money pit and that the MKZ was worlds better in every measurable aspect HOWEVER this is something interesting to see:
the LS wasn't a failure imho
tho FORD failed IT by
-- making a platform that was too expensive
-- PROBABLY not making it (or the factory) flexible enough...to build other variants on it
-- DEFINITELY not upgrading the LS or (presumably iirc) marketing it well

^ just off the top of me head^

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Time and the art of building cars has moved on. Even so the LS was better in it's time compared to the competition it faced than any current Lincoln is in comparison to it's competition.

I agree with 2b2, the LS itself wasn't a failure, Ford failed to take advantage of what they had in the LS! Another example of why having many different brands is a dead end, Ford limited the LS so it wouldn't step on the S-Types toes.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
SP1966 said:
...Another example of why having many different brands is a dead end, Ford limited the LS so it wouldn't step on the S-Types toes.
this part^ (naturally) I disagree with

imho if FoMoCo/FLincMoCo/FML/etc is as STOOPID as it was back then (1990-onwards?)
imho they'll (intercourse) even just the Ford Brand
otoh
if they stay as smart as the Mulally-years have been so far,
IMHO they can easily handle 3 or 4 Nameplates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note:
imho it's crucial to differentiate between a Nameplate (beloved of fans) and a "BRAND" which is imho an obsolete illusion
(tho maybe that opinion was forced on me by reading GMI for so long?)
:angel

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think Lincoln will be concentrating short/mid term on FWD/AWD.
They need to make sure the MKS and MKX, and MKT replacements are the best they can be.
Long term is still a toss up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts