Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed a generous oil leak in my 95 ranger 2.3 liter 4cyl manual, that dripped down onto all parts under the motor mount. After spending a couple hours under the hood and under the truck inspecting everything the source of the leak seems to becoming from the motor mount. Due to regular and a recent oil change the engine oil is clear and clean but the oil that's leaked is dark and dirtier. I still have adequate oil in the motor the same as before I noticed the leak so I'm 99% sure that it is REALLY leaking from the mount but I've never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else ever come across this? Or does anyone know about it or can provide information? I'm flabbergasted!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I had a 96' explorer that had an overflow hose which would spew out some gunky looking oil/grease. It may be the same thing. I can't remember what it was for, but it could be the same thing.

·
Registered
2015 F150
7 Posts
Seems to be an old post, but oil related though.

I am due for a change oil and I have 2015 F150 2.7 v6. Normally I would put 5w-20 but now my job requires me to visit inter-states and sometimes I would tow a trailer. With that in mind, I am thinking of replacing to 5w-30 with a high mileage type of oil. I tried to do my own research and found a good article that gives comprehensive review on what is the best oil for F150. Here is the link. It helped me narrow down my options and I am leaning towards Valvoline brand. I wonder what type of brand other guys are using for a high mileage use. Does it really matter? I found it is also quite cheaper to buy at Amazon compared to the local store.

What brand of oil do you suggest for high mileage and good for towing, and why? Thanks. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I once had a Ford Ranger. As the mileage increases, its oil slowly turns black. My guess is that the seal is aging or the car parts are malfunctioning.

·
Registered
2015 F150
7 Posts
I once had a Ford Ranger. As the mileage increases, its oil slowly turns black. My guess is that the seal is aging or the car parts are malfunctioning.
I read that there are oils that has an additive seal conditioning agents to prevent oil leak. Probably even if I have a high mileage type of oil, I have to check the dipstick every now and then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read that there are oils that has an additive seal conditioning agents to prevent oil leak. Probably even if I have a high mileage type of oil, I have to check the dipstick every now and then.
Never heard such oil with additives that prevents a leak. We dealt with leak on buddy's 1997 Ranger before. The lower intake manifold gasket was replaced and we installed the new exhaust system from 4Wheelonline. No more leak and a noticeable difference in engine response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts