Ford Inside News banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porsche has just announced that it is filling out the remainder of its Panamera lineup with the addition of a V6-powered model that will be available with either rear- or all-wheel-drive. Starting price for the RWD V6 Panamera will be $74,400 while the AWD Panamera 4 will begin at $78,900 (plus destination).

Wondering how that compares with the V8-powered Panamera S? Let's look at some numbers. The 3.6-liter V6 puts out 300 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque, which is a decrease of an even hundred horses and 74 lb-ft from the 4.8-liter V8. Each buyer will have to decide for themselves whether those hundred extra ponies are worth a $15,400 surcharge.

Porsche's seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) dual-clutch transmission will be standard equipment in the V6 Panamera, along with such necessities as an electric moonroof, power liftgate and the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system with navigation.

According to Porsche, the V6 puts 66 fewer pounds over the front axle, resulting in an overall weight of 3,880 pounds. Auto Stop/Start technology ought to help the V6 Panamera eke a few more miles from each gallon of gasoline, and though official EPA numbers are not yet available Porsche says the car will not be subject to a gas guzzler tax. Check out the gallery of high-res images below and hit the jump for the official press release.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/porsche-announces-panamera-with-300-hp-v6-starting-at-74-400/

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
only 300 horses? A Cadillac from 3 years ago has more. Mustang V6 pumps out more, Camaro also pumps out more out of its v6.
Boys, I think America is in charge in powertrains again.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Starting price for the RWD V6 Panamera will be $74,400 while the AWD Panamera 4 will begin at $78,900 (plus destination)...
the Panamera doesn't look too bad in person - just kind of massive - has a Very nice interior tho...

...hmmm
that sounds a LOT like the Taurus - for 2x the price
_________________seriously_________________
imho the Taurus is a VALID Alternative to the Panamera

unless one really NEEDS to throw money away

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
the Panamera doesn't look too bad in person - just kind of massive - has a Very nice interior tho...

...hmmm
that sounds a LOT like the Taurus - for 2x the price
_________________seriously_________________
imho the Taurus is a VALID Alternative to the Panamera

unless one really NEEDS to throw money away
Seriously, I would say MKS. The interior technology and amenities. leather wood, craftsmanship etc...

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
imho the sportier Taurus is closer IN FEELING to the Panamera than the MKS
Taurus is more like Panamera than MK S. But Taurus is more practical than Panamera. Of course, the prestige of Porsche cost a lot of money....almost double than Taurus.

Any way, give me a Taurus SHO and i will be happy!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
imho the sportier Taurus is closer IN FEELING to the Panamera than the MKS
I have driven the Taurus, and a 911 S. trust me, nowhere in North America's Fords stable outside of mustang, does anyone get close to Porsche in handling.
In terms of amenities, I will grant you that, materials..not really.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
ahhh, sorry Mbuku
I meant the styling-feel in-&-out
tho I've been able to sit in both the Taurus/Taurus-SHO and Panamera,
I haven't driven either one
& didn't mean to imply the Taurus handled like the Porsche
...tho doubt the Panamera is that close to the 911S ;)

...&altho I'd seriously question how many Panamera buyers would push to it's limits. Think those Porsche customers would be getting more 'traditional' Porsches.
(& yes, have the same opinion about most Cayenne owners)
((how often can any Porsche-daily-driver actually push them that hard during a commute? without getting a ticket??))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts