Ford Inside News banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another new MKZ Hybrid "review" online (which like the prior ones seems to be by someone who sat in but did not drive the car at an event) mentions being told by the Lincoln reps something I suspected but which I don't think we've heard formally announced - that the new trick panoramic roof weight penalty costs the hybrid 3 MPG, from 45 to 42 MPG overall. I wonder what the performance penalty is as well...

So let the great debate begin...

Do you think the new, large panoramic retractable roof is worth 3 MPG hybrid buyers? :confused:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
That's a good question. On the Hybrid, this might be a concern to some people. Would be interesting to know what the impact will be on the V6 - I guess far less.

The Pano-roof is an amazing feature on this car but after all, it is also quite expensive and therefore, it has to be a perfect fit to become a success. The "package" has to be right.

Although it's somewhat OT, but I would really like to know if the power rear sunshade could be retro-fitted once you order the car with the pano-roof since you can't order both features at once. I hope all MKZ's will be pre-wired for it. I guess many readers might be bored by now by me pointing out this ordering-conflict - but I think it might be quite important.

The availability of the sunshade may only be a minor issue for some potential buyers, but some might consider saving some $$ and going for the sunshade and regular moonroof instead. I realy hope that Lincoln finds a way to offer both at some point in time because if they really want customers to opt for this pano-roof, they certainly shouldn't deliver any arguments to them to NOT opt for it by excluding other features in return. In the luxury market, "either..or" doesn't sell too well.

I understand that the lower MPG-rating probably is a result of simple physics so I won't blame Lincoln for it - but it's an additional factor that might lower the number of ordered pano-roofs. Assuming the development of this roof was everything but cheap, I guess they want to sell as many as possible. That's why they shouldn't exclude any other options in return and and prevent it from becoming less desirable.

My 2 cents..:thumb:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imho the panoroof as is
is a seriously compromised feature
- way darker than nec.
- flashy one-piece design rather than good (2-pane) design imho
&
if its weight can ding the mpg that much
I hate to think what it will do to the handling

(would love to know the weight difference between the pano and the Edge/MKX's BAMR-Vistaroof, too)

...I guess many readers might be bored by now by me pointing out this ordering-conflict - but I think it might be quite important...
nah, don't worry LincolnFanFl
how will FoMoCo ever learn if you don't teach them? ...over & over &...
besides
FiN has a time-honored tradition of us(me) 'testifying' & promoting pet peaves/beliefs whenEVER possible

·
Registered
45 Posts
I heard this about the roof and mpg as well from my test drive rep. Can it really be that heavy to make such a difference. If so, everyone riding in this car better get on a diet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Huh, I'd think the opposite would be necessary(occupants put on weight) in order for the center-of-gravity to remain at a reasonable height...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I don't see anything on Lincoln's website about it. I wonder if it will get posted?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I don't see anything on Lincoln's website about it. I wonder if it will get posted?
hmm
I figure it's possible to have well-over $10,000 in features on a vehicle between basic-engineering & topLux (not counting materials upgrades)
& all that stuff has gotta weigh it down

maybe just a matter of time before the gov'mint mandates specific MPG numbers for every variant?
('course imho the Mfgs already have all those numbers)
wait for it
THAT's IT!!
the reason LincolnFanFL can't get the rearwindowshade WITH the pano-roof is that the Z would be so top-heavy it'd flip over just shutting the door!

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
I'm going to just go out and say it...

If this roof has rattles and squeaks like the Vista Roof in the MKX/MKT/Edge...it won't be worth the MPG penalty.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
THAT's IT!!
the reason LincolnFanFL can't get the rearwindowshade WITH the pano-roof is that the Z would be so top-heavy it'd flip over just shutting the door!
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Reminds me of a discussion I had a while ago on BlueOval Forum. I was quite disappointed that the Fusion Hybrid was only available in the SE trim (that was before they announced the Titanium will be available as a Hybrid, too) and therefore, you couldn't get the Sony-System. Somebody suggested that the reason for that might be the additional weight of that speaker-system. I first thought he was joking but he wasn't.

A week later the same member was complaining that the Hybrid SE wasn't available with keyless start/stop. Boy, that was funny when I suggested to him that the start/stop button was obviously to heavy for the Hybrid..:thumb:

·
Registered
997 Posts
So I guess the Hybrid can't offer the Pano-Roof?? The competition will play on this lower MPG and only explain in ultra fine print that you can't see in the advertising.

Could there be some kind of compensation(s) done somewhere with the body/structure etc to get the MPG back up to 45? I'm not an engineer so that's why i'm asking.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...Could there be some kind of compensation(s) done somewhere with the body/structure etc to get the MPG back up to 45? I'm not an engineer so that's why i'm asking.
I've been thinking...for a Lincoln Energi model specifically (since the price ceiling could be much higher) that
alloy/composite sheetmetal panels and other parts could be used for weight reduction...which equates to higher mpg *&* performance

no idea why afaik! no Lux Mfg has come out with an ultralight OPTION?
the Jaguar XJ has had STD aluminIum construction for all its trim-levels
& iirc some Mustang models/trim-levels have had lt.wt. parts not found on the base trim
but not aware of any checkbox specifically to get the weight out:
[x] JennyCraig edition

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So I guess the Hybrid can't offer the Pano-Roof??
Oh, I'm sure that won't be an issue. We know too well that manufacturers always brag about MPG-numbers using the most fuel efficient version available. The fine print is reserved for the exclusions..

Not offering THE most promoted feature of the MKZ on the Hybrid would be a desaster - considering Lincoln's advertised philosophy of offering "all the luxury there is" on a Hybrid.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts