Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could they show an aviator concept?

I read that someone was told from a dealer that they are expecting the Aviator late 2018/early 2019

So concept now, production at NYIAS?

Aviator is much farther out, the updated MKX and MKC are in that time frame. Explorer/Aviator are early next decade, we should see it around 2020, maybe a concept at the 2019 AutoShows. I actually think it's farther out than people are expecting (it usually always is), I'm placing it as a 2021 MY product. That would fall in line with the Lincoln product schedule that leaked a few years ago.

Lincoln usually does not do any major product announcements at the Concours. I'm sure they'll have their Navigator present.

Wasn't the MKX concept unveiled at Concours?

·
Registered
866 Posts
My guess is that the reason manufacturers show off at concours events is to:

1. Exhibit the talents of their design studios;

2. Test consumer reaction to designs and proposed design directions;

3. Create buzz for the brand.

They do that by designing and exhibiting cars that explore new niches or are not committed to production. Lincoln once did it; the last, iirc, was the MKR. So the idea that you don't want to show a concept that won't get produced doesn't hold water.

Clearly, Ford does not have those kinds of ambitions for Lincoln anymore since they show no signs of forward thinking when it comes to Lincoln concepts. Just more Ford-based pre-production stuff. That makes Pebble Beach irrelevant for us until Ford/Lincoln really shows us something.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Could they show an aviator concept?

I read that someone was told from a dealer that they are expecting the Aviator late 2018/early 2019

So concept now, production at NYIAS?

Aviator is much farther out, the updated MKX and MKC are in that time frame. Explorer/Aviator are early next decade, we should see it around 2020, maybe a concept at the 2019 AutoShows. I actually think it's farther out than people are expecting (it usually always is), I'm placing it as a 2021 MY product. That would fall in line with the Lincoln product schedule that leaked a few years ago.

Lincoln usually does not do any major product announcements at the Concours. I'm sure they'll have their Navigator present.

No, the MKX concept debuted at Beijing auto show (china)

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
"EOP for Ford Explorer (U502) has been moved back to December 2018 from September 2018. This results in a timing shift for the Ford Explorer (U625 having an SOP in January 2019, a facelift for January 2022, and an EOP for December 2025)."

Aviator should be on the same schedule as Explorer.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
No, the MKX concept debuted at Beijing auto show (china)
just in case I'm not the only one bordering on confusion...

the original Concept that eventually became the MKX was the Aviator Concept from the 2004 NAIAS

the Concept for the current gen of the MKX debuted at the 2014 Beijing Autoshow

- - - - - - -

thinking back (& googling)
"...At the 2012 Concours, Lincoln unveiled its 2013 MKS..."** (an MCE)
and
they debuted [BlackLabel] on the MKZ & C for (just before) the 2013 Concours (tho don't remember the MKC [BL] AT the PBC)

re-edit:
btw, that first Link **, (up)dated 12/28/16, still shows a pic of the Z

that makes me wonder if the article's author MIGHT have thought Lincoln was still sponsoring WHEN he wrote it...
:surprise2:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My guess is that the reason manufacturers show off at concours events is to:

1. Exhibit the talents of their design studios;

2. Test consumer reaction to designs and proposed design directions;

3. Create buzz for the brand.

They do that by designing and exhibiting cars that explore new niches or are not committed to production. Lincoln once did it; the last, iirc, was the MKR. So the idea that you don't want to show a concept that won't get produced doesn't hold water.

Clearly, Ford does not have those kinds of ambitions for Lincoln anymore since they show no signs of forward thinking when it comes to Lincoln concepts. Just more Ford-based pre-production stuff. That makes Pebble Beach irrelevant for us until Ford/Lincoln really shows us something.
First, I think MKR debuted at NAIAS. I went that year and was able to see it. Lincoln was also heavily panned by the public and Mulally himself, as he was ready to green light it, only to find out if was made off some one-off platform with no chance of being made. The public wanted it but Lincoln didn't deliver.
"EOP for Ford Explorer (U502) has been moved back to December 2018 from September 2018. This results in a timing shift for the Ford Explorer (U625 having an SOP in January 2019, a facelift for January 2022, and an EOP for December 2025)."

Aviator should be on the same schedule as Explorer.
Right which is about what I said timeline-wise.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the MKR design but at least Lincoln was putting out a future design language for feedback. I'm probably wrong about this impression but I always thought that the MKR was floated as a potential successor to the Lincoln LS which would have put it on the DEW98 platform. Perhaps Mulally thought of that Jaguar/Ford platform as a "one-off" since it was deep-sixed by Ford as being too expensive.

If Lincoln is going to present a pre-production concept that we all know about at Pebble Beach, it will likely be greeted by a collective yawn. Steak, no sizzle. My fingers are crossed, hoping for a surprise but ...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
...at least Lincoln was putting out a future design language for feedback...
I don't believe that^ anymore
not just that Lincoln did NOT use the MKR mods on the MKS - ever
but
I remember seeing Acura's grille-BEAK on a concept in L.A, same 'era'...
...that they've finally gotten rid of it
imho
by the time a style is presented to the Media/public in any official form,
it's locked in for a full cycle
&
the sales (or LACK thereof) will be the feedback that execs/suits(/beancounters) can understand - eventually

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
just in case I'm not the only one bordering on confusion...

the original Concept that eventually became the MKX was the Aviator Concept from the 2004 NAIAS
Actually @2b2 the 2007 MKX originally debuted as the Aviator and got a name change at the last second. There were even press shots with the Aviator name:

Reactions: Assimilator and 2b2

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the MKR design...

I don't know what's not to love? Maybe dial back the grill a bit, but to me this would have been a classic Lincoln! I love that it's a sedan with the rear doors blending in to give it a more coupe like appearance. Heck, redo the front end with today's Lincoln nose and ship it already, S650 like!!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
...to me this would have been a classic Lincoln! I love that it's a sedan with the rear doors blending in to give it a more coupe like appearance. Heck, redo the front end with today's Lincoln nose and ship it already, S650 like!!
that ^ could well be close to what will replace the MKZ :thumb: @SP1966

I don't know what's not to love? ...
just-imho,
as an example of ALL 7 Lincoln style themes the MKR didn't work that well;
looked more 'particular' as a 'specific' model,
& the themes were never directly transplanted to CARs, imho

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think Lincoln debuted Black Label at the Concours, which I know was over a year before it would actually become available and many things changed before the final release.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the MKR design but at least Lincoln was putting out a future design language for feedback. I'm probably wrong about this impression but I always thought that the MKR was floated as a potential successor to the Lincoln LS which would have put it on the DEW98 platform. Perhaps Mulally thought of that Jaguar/Ford platform as a "one-off" since it was deep-sixed by Ford as being too expensive.

If Lincoln is going to present a pre-production concept that we all know about at Pebble Beach, it will likely be greeted by a collective yawn. Steak, no sizzle. My fingers are crossed, hoping for a surprise but ...
IIRC, they put MKR (and the Ford Interceptor concept of the same year) on some modified Mustang platform that wasn't realistically feasible.

I don't know what's not to love? Maybe dial back the grill a bit, but to me this would have been a classic Lincoln! I love that it's a sedan with the rear doors blending in to give it a more coupe like appearance. Heck, redo the front end with today's Lincoln nose and ship it already, S650 like!!
I might have to make a chop of that.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

...I might have to make a chop of that.
:thumb: :toetap: > :thumb: :toetap: :toetap: > :thumb: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: > :thumb: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: > :thumb: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:
:nerd:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Infiniti reveals 'what if' Prototype 9 1940's (style) grand prix racer ahead of Pebble Beach
MotorAuthority
- Kirk Bell - Aug 12, 2017

...for a flight of fancy what might have been grand prix racer, this thing is pretty cool...
...Soon, many on the design team were giving their input, and then word got out beyond the design team to production, who volunteered to build it...
...When Nissan Motor Corporation's powertrain engineers heard about the project, the Prototype 9 took a left turn. Instead of a period internal combustion engine, they went with a modern electric powertrain. In fact, this powerplant has yet to be used in any Nissan or Infiniti car. It consists of a 30-kwh battery teamed with a prototype electric motor that produces 148 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
That Z4 looks really good.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I get the impression that the designers at Lincoln must be bored to death next to their peers overseas. I don't think there is a brand with less imagination than Lincoln at the moment.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I get the impression that the designers at Lincoln must be bored to death next to their peers overseas. I don't think there is a brand with Less imaginative Approvers than Lincoln at the moment.
fixed ^
>:)
:angel

note: iirc, whats-his-name... Max Wolff's replacement (Dave?) was made overall-Fomoco designMucketyMucK recently ... IF Mr. Hatchett doesn't kill Lincoln, maybe some excitement will sneak past him onto the nextgens?
:nerd:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts