Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PickupTrucks.com
F-150 WINNER of PickupTrucks.com 2008 Light-Duty Shootout

With 61 points (out of the maximum 99 possible), the Ford F-150 earned the title of 2008 PickupTrucks.com Shootout Best Overall Half-Ton Pickup. The only thing this truck is missing is a powerful V-8 — it finished last in two of the three pure-power towing tests — but the rest of its performance and packaging was excellent. It took top spots in both our timed ride-and-handling test and our fuel economy test, and it offers value and features the other trucks couldn’t compete with — like trailer-sway control, which can manage the trailer’s brakes, and excellent road manners when towing.

for the entire shootout CLICK HERE

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was surprised at how poorly the 5.4L did against its competition. I made up for it on fuel economy.

I wonder what the final drive ratio was for all of the trucks ? The F150 4x4 SuperCrew can have 3 different ratios; 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
I was surprised at how poorly the 5.4L did against its competition. I made up for it on fuel economy.

I wonder what the final drive ratio was for all of the trucks ? The F150 4x4 SuperCrew can have 3 different ratios; 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73.
This is what is amazing about the silvarado, it makes more power yet, its relatively economical. Ford has to make do with lower displacement.
But they need more powerful engines.
Ford is still King though. You expect it since their truck is new.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice to see the Ford win. However, Ford would have killed all the other trucks in points if the new powerplants were available.

Can anyone give a rough estiment when we will get the new V8 and EB 3.5L?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks 2b2, I guess I missed the intro page !

Some interesting things I spotted in that chart.
  • 0.4 MPG difference between the Chevy and the GMC which should be twins
  • Ford and Toyota huge lead in towing capacity over the competition (I wonder how they figure out what is a safe trailer towing capacity and how Ford rates theirs so high with the weakest engine in the bunch ?)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Thanks 2b2, I guess I missed the intro page !

Some interesting things I spotted in that chart.
  • 0.4 MPG difference between the Chevy and the GMC which should be twins
  • Ford and Toyota huge lead in towing capacity over the competition (I wonder how they figure out what is a safe trailer towing capacity and how Ford rates theirs so high with the weakest engine in the bunch ?)
Frame has alot to do with towing ratings. I would have been extremely suprised if Ford had not taken this shoot out consindering their truck is new. They obviously looked at the competation, especially GM.
Toyota is nothing more than powertrain. I guess GM needs to do a mid cycle refresh by 2010 to keep up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It was nice to finally see everyones top dog engine in a shootout, and seeing Toyota totally outperforming the Ford and returning almost the same mileage says a lot!
Fords big engine better be coming soon and worth waiting for, and until it does they will be loosing a lot of sales to those with big towing power! They might boast the biggest towing and payload but if you can't get up to safe highway speeds, what's the point. I hope the axle hop was a rare occurance or thier lengthened rear springs will be a bigger problem with more power.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was nice to finally see everyones top dog engine in a shootout, and seeing Toyota totally outperforming the Ford and returning almost the same mileage says a lot!
I totally agree with you. I am tired of hearing excuses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts