Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, my brother and sister both drive Mercury cars, as do I. I'm 32 so as for the demographics, they are not pinpoint. Mercury was launched more than 1/2 a century ago. It is a brand that has been around for about 70 years, and should be around for 70 more. It is easy to make a new brand, it is easy to kill an old brand, it is nearly impossible to make a new brand with legs to last 70 years.
The Mercury line is stale, I can see that. However instead of killing off the brand entirely, why not act like a car company and make it into a successful brand? Killing off the brand is the cowards way to make short term values higher, which come at the cost of long term value.

Mercury has the Milan, which could receive more aggressive styling as well as AWD.

Mercury has the Mountaineer, which should be dropped in favor of a Ranger based luxury sport ute. A shortened F150 chassis could be used as well. Think early bronco meets LR3.

The Mustang platform should be used to spawn a Cougar coupe and convert, as well as a 4 door RWD sedan larger than the Milan.

Perhaps further in the future the Mustang platform could also be used for a smaller 4 door and 2 door sedan with RWD, IRS and a sporty suspension to replace the Milan (stepping up to compete with G37, 3 series, etc).

The Taurus platform could be used for an extended wheelbase awd large luxury sedan. Or with a redesigned front frame and sub-frame system, a RWD large sedan could be built. A large 2 door luxury coupe could be built as well, like a Mercedes CL550.

The flagship would be the Cougar, a 6.2L Hurricane engine and 6 speed trans (as much as I don't like it but it would come with paddle shifters). A special edition with Shelby GT500 suspension and brakes could be built, with carbon body panels and a supercharged hurricane V8 mated to a 6 speed manual. This would be the Eliminator.

With a new design language to help build up a new image, this line up would add to the value of Ford and add a lot of possibilities to the Ford group.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...this line up would add to the value of Ford and add a lot of possibilities to the Ford group.
regardless of different interpretations of specific model recommendations
I really liked your closing, Colvin

made me think of "IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES:
"

&
they've just gotta
FIRE THE JERKS @ FoMoCo Who Don't Have Enough IMAGINATION To Appreciate MERC!!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I like the letter too. I think giving a brand like Mercury or even Lincoln something different from the others will give them something to entice customers to drive that brands vehicles. If Ford was going to make Mercury a "Small Car Brand" then start doing it and stop leaving the brand on the shelf to gather dust and make it into the brand it deserves to be...in my opinion the BUICK KILLER!!

Lincoln is not going to push the numbers like 2b2 posted in another thread and unless FoMoCo gives Lincoln something completely new and different from the other two brands, it will just be what it is. I understand the costs of designing a new vehicle and platform, but my goodness.

I have to believe that FoMoCo would be stupid to kill off Mercury because then GM and Chrysler would have more brands then Ford, and I do see where Mercury would fit. I see Mercury getting the Tracer, a Cougar, MAYBE a Fiesta variant and I could see a Ka variant and Kuga variant. There needs to be MORE to choose from for this brand or open up back to a full lineup with the Sable and a newer Mountaineer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Volume is another part of the problem. Mazda is a long time partner with Ford, they have not sold more than 20,000 units in the US in the past 15 years. Yet it is still a part of their line up. Perhaps they should be talking more with the people at Mazda on how to make a car in lower numbers and still be successful. Which would be part of my plan as well.

Ford could develop a sub frame and IRS system for the Mustang, which would cost hundreds of millions of dollars. It would end up using a center section already in production, brakes which are already in production, and heavy stamped steel center frame and control arms. There are a number of aftermarket companies which could develop a lighter sub frame with tubular steel, a center section already in production and brakes which are already in production, for less than a couple hundred thousand dollars. Instead of buying these companies and dissolving them or ruining them, I would hire them as suppliers.

Therefore, I can state with complete confidence that I could completely turn around Mercury, and develop multiple new vehicles for a much lower cost than Ford would spend to develop one all new model. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with refining or changing existing products. Look at the 1979 Mustang and the 2004 Mustang. Look at pictures of them. They are based off the same platform and you could literally take the entire drivetrain from the 2004 Mustang and bolt it into the 1979 Mustang. However the exterior is completely different. This could also be achieved with Mercury using Ford platforms.

I Do NOT agree with making Mercury a small car brand. Ford has it covered with the Fiesta and Focus and possibly Kuga. Mercury in my opinion is a step above Ford, and a step below Lincoln.

The sports sedan market is hot right now. With a contender based off the mustang platform this could launch Mercury into a whole different arena. The only small car I would even suggest would be a small convertible based off the focus or fiesta, with a strong design theme (think Audi TT or MINI) and great performance. Perhaps alternatively a MX-5 based small coupe with sport tuned suspension and a turbo 4. This would be more of a competitor against the SLK and Z4.

I think Mercury should be aiming for BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes, AUDI, etc. Lincoln should be luxury, pure and simple luxury, aiming for Bentley, without the Bentley price. Such as a large 4 door sedan with a dozen cows worth of leather and supple suspension that can handle turns without rolling on it's side (think Ride Tech air ride systems), comparable to a Bentley Continental Flying Spur, starting in the 60k range. But I digress, Mercury should be a stand alone brand that happens to borrow parts and platforms from Ford and other Ford companies. They should have their own Design team, their own engine development team, their own people. It does not need to be a massive company, but a small company with Ford giving them their budget constraints. Sort of like an experiment in how to make a car company more productive, profitable and nimble.

Any current Ford employees on the site who would like to help me develop a plan and get the attention of the company, are more than welcome to jump in.

The models listed are merely suggestions, if I were to develop a full plan, it would be with a complete team who would help me research all aspects. I left them in because this is the general direction I would propose.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't understand the .8% Ford said about total Merc sales. I looked at May 2010 total sales. Model to model, apple to apple. Ford(Fusion, Escape, Crown Vic and Explorer) 50,733 and Mercury(Milan, Mariner, Grand Marquis and Mountaineer) 9,028. Almost 5 to 1 ratio. That's no .8%. Yes, I'm a Mercury lover. I had 5 Mercurys over the years. I was planning close to retirement to buy a Milan. I guess now I will buy a used Milan. I don't care if Ford comes out with 4 new models of Lincoln. I can't afford one and never plan to have one. The front end is ugly. Ford should try a design around the 1956 or 1957 Lincolns. I don't care for the 3 bar grille of the Fords. The Milan would replace the family car. Ford currently has no car to replace my personal car, a '97 Ford Thunderbird. I want a midsize 2dr couple. I would have been happy with a retro '67 Cougar or a restyled Thunderbird. The only car on the market that fits that bill is the Dodge Challenger. I don't want to go there. I love Mercury. General Motors almost killed Buick, but didn't. I don't understand why Ford should shut down Mercury. Ford should build Merc from this low point and move forward. This problem is entirely Ford fault. Lack of updates, new models and support. If the Lincoln plan doesn't work as planned, Then consider intoducing a car with Mercury name. There is nothing in the Ford line I would buy currently

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ I'm convinced there are NO sound business reasons for murdering Mercury, Djhogie
&
the lunatics there are probably using Global #'s ...but who cares what lunatics think?

Speaking for my own mental health (or lack of it) I've decided that
- Lincoln (the maker of the Continental) obviously does NOT Exist currently
- and Ford (the company Henry founded, maker of the Model T and A) is quickly phasing itself out
- in fact, the only Brand FoMoCo is continuing with Is MERCURY! ! !
the "bit nicer than" brand​
they've merely-finally taken the advice some posters gave them a long time ago and changed the Merc logo... ...to ovals & stars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts