·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
This car is what a sedan needs to be in the future. Is the Volvo XC40, with a trunk and a shape of a sedan. A tall sedan. A very tall sedan! The exterior is very simple, clean, not bad, but not particularly atractive.

The interior is very disappointing. Is too spartan, too simple. No luxurious materials, no an atractive design. Looks like the Tesla model 3, and that is bad enough. If Volvo...ahemm..ahem.. Polestar try to ask for a lot of money for this vehicle, it will be difficult to sell it. The interior:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I really like this. It also fixes one of my main complaints about EVs (Model 3 in particular), no stupid looking interior! The interior looks great and designed really well without some giant tacked on afterthought looking screen.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

The return of the 2010 Dodge Avenger...inside and out at $40k to $65k.

Building a desirable EV is more than putting an electric powertrain under what looks like an old, bulky, heavy looking ICE design. Then there is the idea of asking premium/luxury car prices for a consumer brand design that's unfortunate as well.

I expected more from Volvo that has done so well with the interior/exterior design of the newest cars and suvs.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I really like this. It also fixes one of my main complaints about EVs (Model 3 in particular), no stupid looking interior! The interior looks great and designed really well without some giant tacked on afterthought looking screen.
...and it will only cost you $20k more for the interior. Tesla killed it with the new model releases yesterday. They have everyone covered from 220-240-264-310-325 miles including performance numbers. Polestar has a tough row to hoe.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Tall-ish sedans makes sense today. Back before there was advanced tire materials and dynamic suspensions and CAE for weight distribution and lighter materials, etc. you needed that CG as low as possible. Not any more. You don't have to lay down low with difficult egress/ ingress to have dynamic sedan. and then there is the whole visibility thing, where if everyone is in a truck or SUV, you can't see ****e. I am all for this.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tall-ish sedans makes sense today. Back before there was advanced tire materials and dynamic suspensions and CAE for weight distribution and lighter materials, etc. you needed that CG as low as possible. Not any more. You don't have to lay down low with difficult egress/ ingress to have dynamic sedan. and then there is the whole visibility thing, where if everyone is in a truck or SUV, you can't see ****e. I am all for this.
...not to mention skateboard BEVs have naturally low CG, really, regardless of top hat. I think the Mod3 has a CG of a Porsche GT3 without the low ground clearance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
...not to mention skateboard BEVs have naturally low CG, really, regardless of top hat. I think the Mod3 has a CG of a Porsche GT3 without the low ground clearance.
And a tallish sedan/whatever would typically gain some of the height with decent ground clearance, helping keep your batteries away from some of the things you don't want to run over in a skateboard BEV.

I can't wait to watch the failure videos when IIHS decides it's time to test battery protection...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
...and it will only cost you $20k more for the interior. Tesla killed it with the new model releases yesterday. They have everyone covered from 220-240-264-310-325 miles including performance numbers. Polestar has a tough row to hoe.
I would gladly pay more for a nicer interior. Plus being essentially a Volvo it will have top notch fit and finish like every Volvo I've owned.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I gotta say...as Volvos go, that's one nice looking Kia.
Interesting that this comment would have worked for two decades ago. What with all of the ex-Mercedes and ex-BMW, etc., designers, engineers, & execs flying off to Korea, the designs of Kia cars and SUVs are no longer second class and are not to be dismissed.

This Volvo is clean and well-executed for a tall sedan despite its vestigial FWD proportions. I'm getting tired of all the creases, angles and reflections on vehicles these days.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Interesting that this comment would have worked for two decades ago. What with all of the ex-Mercedes and ex-BMW, etc., designers, engineers, & execs flying off to Korea, the designs of Kia cars and SUVs are no longer second class and are not to be dismissed.

This Volvo is clean and well-executed for a tall sedan despite its vestigial FWD proportions. I'm getting tired of all the creases, angles and reflections on vehicles these days.
I'm pretty sure that the comment holds up just fine, as the Polestar's overall stance and execution remind me of recent Kias...and I never said that was a bad thing. I actually thought Kia got the better styling language while Hyundai tried for far too much surface chaos (even while critics fawned over the Elantra years back). I certainly find the Stinger to be "clean and well-exectuted", and feel similarly about this.

However, I am also stating that the overall impression made me think more of Kia than Volvo, and nothing has changed my mind.

Reactions: glyphics

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love how Volvo's Polestar 2 tries to address all the shortcomings of a sedan, while still trying to be a sedan. It's slightly taller, has a large hatch opening, and upright styling for lots of interior room. + It's an EV.

I honestly think this is how Lincoln needs to go as well, if they want to inject some life back into the sedan. For those who prefer low and sporty, A four-door mustang based Lincoln would do for them.

Do you think Lincoln should compete with Polestar?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Yes, and can win.

With the proliferation of EVs, low cars will die because the automakers need space for the batteries. The Polestar is an example, like the VW ID. But the "3 boxes profile" like the Polestar or the render you made , can survive on these high platforms.

·
Registered
546 Posts
And a tallish sedan/whatever would typically gain some of the height with decent ground clearance, helping keep your batteries away from some of the things you don't want to run over in a skateboard BEV.

I can't wait to watch the failure videos when IIHS decides it's time to test battery protection...
...they would have to raise the test speed. By virtue of not having a giant engine out front, EVs have massive crumple zones. By the time you get to the pack, in an ICE vehicle the engine would be sitting in your lap.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This reminds me of a Saab for some reason.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Remind me again as to the great success of not particularly appealing SUV / car designs along the lines of the Legacy SUS. The Model 3 will continue to lead this segment, and this design quite frankly is one reason why.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts