Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Japanese Manufacturers have traditionally embellished the fuel efficiency of their products to gain a leg up on Detroit?

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Yes they do, even now. But that is nothing compared to their horsepower games.
Anemic cars, yet they claim high horsepower. How do you explain a Camry getting spanked by the Fusion with a better power to weight ratio?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Can anyone explain how they think it would be possible to do this? Do you think the Japanese are paying off the EPA? Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.
Exactly! And as per power claims, they are easily verifiable by a dynamometer test and Mazda painfully learned with the RX-8.

So I voted, NO.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
^^^ Mazda is by Ford, they are not prone to Japanese practices like say Toyota.
And yet they are the only ones that have been caught overstating HP figures.

You said a few posts back that Japanese companies make . . . "Anemic cars, yet they claim high horsepower." as if that was a common practice and a verifiable fact, without of course providing any proof.

What I am telling you is that such shenanigans would be very difficult to get away with as was proven with the case of the 2003 Mazda RX8 when they had to restate their HP claims. Mazda acted in good faith and the wrong claims where product of a big confusion with gasoline grade available in the US, but they acted quickly offering cash back, free service as well as offering to buy back the cars of those customers that didn't want to keep the cars.

I am not aware of Totoya, or Honda, or Nissan going through an episode like that (they may have, I just don't know). But I highly doubt that ANY company would do something so stupid on purpose.

Do you know of any case of companies manipulating fuel economy or horsepower figures? You sound so assured that I think you should know something.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Those are all dated 3-4 years ago. Since the SAE has implemented a new standard for power ratings and EPA has changed the requirements for fuel economy ratings. Can you do better than that? I am all for calling out the Japanese when they screw up but I don't believe this is the case. Show us recent proof that "Japanese Companies Manipulate MPG Rules"
Their current success is based on a belief established by embellishing the facts about their products is based on these innuendos.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I'm not voting cuz would need to re-phrase the question (too much imho):
Do some car mfgs design-n-build "ToTheTest" rather than for real-world results/performance?

imho YES
& that's why when the tests changed some mfgs scores went down (tho a few went UP)
& imho the hybrid tests have a longer way to go before they Approach becoming realistic
(& maybe a hybrid's mpg depends on driving style/habits more than non-hybrids?)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ok I hate getting in the middle of debates. I voted yes but I think I may have voted for the wrong reason. I voted yes because I think Japan likes to push their might around for stricter regulations and terms as is the Chevy Volt debate. If I voted wrong then I am sorry all.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Do some car mfgs design-n-build "ToTheTest" rather than for real-world results/performance?

imho YES& that's why when the tests changed some mfgs scores went down (tho a few went UP)
& imho the hybrid tests have a longer way to go before they Approach becoming realistic
I think we as Americans have very heavy leaded right foots so we do not get the MPG's that they advertise. I went two weeks with not having a heavy right foot and did my usual driving and survived on 1/2 a tank of gas versus 3/4 of a tank. I think a hybrid would be better with a light right foot and no need to be muscle car driven.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts

imho YES& that's why when the tests changed some mfgs scores went down (tho a few went UP)
on HP, all American went up, Japan went down. I remember reading that somewhere.
The two biggest surprises on the list are the Toyota Camry and the Acura RL, whose numbers have be overstated by 10 horsepower on average. While Honda and Toyota are having to lower their numbers, Ford, GM and Chrysler are happy that they’ve been conservative in their calculations, and the test results actually see them having more horsepower than listed.

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
Can you go back and review the title of this thread? I didn't see any reference to HP.
see this one
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/17/A01-283759.htm

here is one on MPG
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-02-19-odometer-usat_x.htm
http://www.hondaodometerclassaction.com/

I hope this settles this.

The lawyer, James Holmes of Henderson, Texas, says he's tested Toyotas (TM) and, oddly, found them to routinely register slightly fewer miles than actually driven. Detroit brands, he says, "by and large are perfect."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts