Ford Inside News banner

Poll: Mazda2 versus Ford Fiesta

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Logans Run 
#1 ·
Filed under: Car Buying, Budget, Sedan, Hatchback, Ford, Mazda

In case you missed it, we just published our First Drive of the brand-new Mazda2 today. If your attention spans is anything like ours, allow us to remind you that we've also driven the Ford Fiesta once or twice. Since both cars are built atop the same platform and will be competing for your hard-earned bucks in short order, the natural question is: Which one would you choose?

If you don't have time to read both of our drives, here's a quick glance at some of the more salient details:

2011 Ford Fiesta 2011 Mazda2 Base Price $13,995 (four-door sedan), $15,795 (hatchback) $13,980 (hatchback) Engine 120 horsepower, 112 pound-feet of torque 100 horsepower, 98 pound-feet of torque Transmission Five-speed manual, Six-speed dual-clutch auto Five-speed manual, Four-speed auto Base Weight 2,537 pounds 2,309 pounds Efficiency 27/33 (auto), 29/35 (manual) 29/40 (auto), 28/37 (manual)
Naturally, there's more to the equation than the tale of the tape. For instance, if you're in the market for an automatic transmission, the six-speed dual-clutch gearbox in the Fiesta seems to be a much more attractive option than the old-school four-speed automatic in the Mazda. Also, the Fiesta can store more cargo and has more comfortable seats.

It would seem that the scales are tipping in the Blue Oval's favor. Consider too that the Fiesta is available as both a sedan and a hatchback while the Mazda2 is a hatchback only. Add in an available navigation system, leather interior, SYNC infotainment system and heated seats - none of which are available on the Mazda - and we've got a slam-dunk win for the Ford. Right?

Perhaps not. Our man Steven Ewing, the only member of the team to have driven both U.S.-spec models, tells us that the Mazda2 is notably more fun to drive than the Fiesta. Plus, he claims the 2 looks better in its specific shade of green, if that kind of thing is important to you. So, is the promise of an added dose of driving enjoyment worth the significant loss in comfort, convenience and economy? That's up to you to decide.

View Poll

Poll: Mazda2 versus Ford Fiesta originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 25 Jun 2010 19:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Read more...

See less See more
#2 ·
Even though I am biased towards the Fiesta, I still think it looks the best. Especially when you see them in person, the Fiesta just screams DRIVE ME, while the Mazda2 screams...I am over here..LOOK AT ME!! LOL

#4 ·
Even though I am biased towards the Fiesta, I still think it looks the best. Especially when you see them in person, the Fiesta just screams DRIVE ME, while the Mazda2 screams...I am over here..LOOK AT ME!! LOL
I agree, I was able to compare the two. The Mazda 2 is nice, but the styling looks a bit too early 2000's for me.

Here in the Philippines we get the ASEAN Fiesta which is close to the euro model with the shorter bumpers and bigger lower grill opening (mouth), the new Fiesta is currently going on tour in a giant toy box (to promote the car and the chance to win a Fiesta scale model)

-Autoindustriya

#5 ·
I agree, I was able to compare the two. The Mazda 2 is nice, but the styling looks a bit too early 2000's for me.

Here in the Philippines we get the ASEAN Fiesta which is close to the euro model with the shorter bumpers and bigger lower grill opening (mouth), the new Fiesta is currently going on tour in a giant toy box (to promote the car and the chance to win a Fiesta scale model)

-Autoindustriya
I am jealous about the scaled model. Would love to have one in the same color I ordered, but I guess the thumb drive informational stuff is good.

I see a lot of the similarities like the belt line and the waves in the doors, the size of the headlights, but I like how hip the Fiesta is compared to the Mazda 2. I agree that the Mazda 2 looks already outdated or very bland styling. I think Mazda could have done better.

#6 ·
I saw both at the Milwaukee Auto show, and I think I actually liked the Mazda better. It's a bit more subtle, and I think that's what I like about it.

My tastes, of course, are completely different than the rest of the people in our country so the Mazda will fail miserably. :D

#7 ·
I like the Fiesta better, but think the Mazda has a better looking grill. It blends in well (like the Euro Fiesta), and does not look like some compromise from the early 90's. Fiesta's grill looks tacked on, and just doesn't fit with the image of the car. Other tahn that...Fiesta wins out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.