Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
WTF? Edge not profitable in Europe? In Spain, the Edge start at 46K €, before any option! For that money, you can buy another medium size crossover of a premium brand (Land Rover Discovery, Jaguar E-Pace, BMW X3, Audi Q3...) If Ford can´t make money in a 50K$ crossover in Europe, maybe is time to close it business here.

IMO, the Edge is too expensive and compete with the best of Europe and Asia here, at the same price . Is not competitive...

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
"DETROIT — Ford Motor Co.'s U.S. sales fell 4.1 percent in May, extending the automaker's streak of sales declines to four consecutive months, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

Ford's venerable F-series line of pickups also had lower sales for a fourth-straight month. Sales were down for most cars and for the Lincoln luxury brand, too. But May was the best month in nearly two years for the Ford Fusion and in almost four years for the Fiesta.

Notable nameplates: F series down 0.3%; Explorer down 40%; Escape down 0.6%; Fusion up 38%; Mustang down 17%; Expedition up 38%; Ranger, 7,748 units; Lincoln Nautilus/MKX up 16%; Lincoln MKC down 19%; Continental down 23%"

Greed is reversing the trend as consumers not willing to be overcharged or just can't afford to pay $6k to $8k more for an SUV, are sticking with or going back to more affordable cars. Toyota May sales were also boosted by higher than expected Camry demand.

Unfortunately, and as usual, Ford is so slow at implementing their plan, that the SUV trend will be in full reverse by the time Ford kills off their high volume sedans/hatchbacks, with nothing in the pipeline.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
"DETROIT — Ford Motor Co.'s U.S. sales fell 4.1 percent in May, extending the automaker's streak of sales declines to four consecutive months, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

Ford's venerable F-series line of pickups also had lower sales for a fourth-straight month. Sales were down for most cars and for the Lincoln luxury brand, too. But May was the best month in nearly two years for the Ford Fusion and in almost four years for the Fiesta.

Notable nameplates: F series down 0.3%; Explorer down 40%; Escape down 0.6%; Fusion up 38%; Mustang down 17%; Expedition up 38%; Ranger, 7,748 units; Lincoln Nautilus/MKX up 16%; Lincoln MKC down 19%; Continental down 23%"

Greed is reversing the trend as consumers not willing to be overcharged or just can't afford to pay $6k to $8k more for an SUV, are sticking with or going back to more affordable cars. Toyota May sales were also boosted by higher than expected Camry demand.

Unfortunately, and as usual, Ford is so slow at implementing their plan, that the SUV trend will be in full reverse by the time Ford kills off their high volume sedans/hatchbacks, with nothing in the pipeline.

My opinion of your post Bloggin? :lmao:

F series lower for the fourth month? 0,3% Maybe 2000 units less? The units that Ford produce in half an hour? :lmao:

Explorer down 40%? Of course! is in the middle of the launch of a new model!

MKC down 19%? see Explorer....same case
Escape down 0,6%? See Explorer and MKC....same case

And about your comment: "Ford is slow at implementing their plan... ...with nothing in the pipeline" Really? Really? Nothing? Maybe you are not informed:
New Explorer rigth now
New Aviator rigth now

New Escape rigth now
New Corsair rigth now

New EV crossover in the next 6 months
New Bronco in the next 12 months
New Puma compact crossover (Europe and maybe US) in the next 6 months

About the Camry demand higher than expected, the rise is 20%, compared with the Fusion's sales rise of 38%... so... Ford win.

It's good to enter FIN and have a good time laughing with your post, Bloggin ... thanks for that.

0:)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My opinion of your post Bloggin? :lmao:

F series lower for the fourth month? 0,3% Maybe 2000 units less? The units that Ford produce in half an hour? :lmao:

Explorer down 40%? Of course! is in the middle of the launch of a new model!

MKC down 19%? see Explorer....same case
Escape down 0,6%? See Explorer and MKC....same case
F-series was down 0.34%, or 284 units for May. Yes, 284. Down 2,962 on the year. Hardly a blip on F-series volume.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Great news for Ranger! - Though I still hope they add a sunroof option and make the back seat 60/40 spit and lay down flat for the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Great news for Ranger! - Though I still hope they add a sunroof option and make the back seat 60/40 spit and lay down flat for the 2020 model year.
Highly doubt it.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Right now? More like in 6 months and a PHEV some time next year.

That’s exactly why I had to go buy a new PHEV somewhere else.

Ok. I want to see the pictures of that PHEV from "somewhere else". :wink2:

P.S.: if you want a PHEV and don`t want to go to "somewhere else", you can go to a Lincoln dealer and buy the spectacular new Aviator Grand Touring. But, maybe, it is too much car for you... and for your pocket.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
"detroit — ford motor co.'s u.s. Sales fell 4.1 percent in may, extending the automaker's streak of sales declines to four consecutive months, according to the automotive news data center.

Ford's venerable f-series line of pickups also had lower sales for a fourth-straight month. Sales were down for most cars and for the lincoln luxury brand, too. But may was the best month in nearly two years for the ford fusion and in almost four years for the fiesta.

Notable nameplates: F series down 0.3%; explorer down 40%; escape down 0.6%; fusion up 38%; mustang down 17%; expedition up 38%; ranger, 7,748 units; lincoln nautilus/mkx up 16%; lincoln mkc down 19%; continental down 23%"

greed is reversing the trend as consumers not willing to be overcharged or just can't afford to pay $6k to $8k more for an suv, are sticking with or going back to more affordable cars. Toyota may sales were also boosted by higher than expected camry demand.

Unfortunately, and as usual, ford is so slow at implementing their plan, that the suv trend will be in full reverse by the time ford kills off their high volume sedans/hatchbacks, with nothing in the pipeline.

lol

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
F-series was down 0.34%, or 284 units for May. Yes, 284. Down 2,962 on the year. Hardly a blip on F-series volume.
and he fails to mention that Camry sales are down for the year, Accord sales tanked BIG TIME, Civic was down. The Explorer sales were due to the line being down until the 2020 model comes out this summer. If he is going to pick and choose, he could at least show a little credibility.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
New Puma compact crossover (Europe and maybe US) in the next 6 months
Is there a possibility the Puma will be sold in the US?
If it will only be manufactured in Europe, I have a feeling they won't bring it over.

WTF? Edge not profitable in Europe? In Spain, the Edge start at 46K €, before any option! For that money, you can buy another medium size crossover of a premium brand (Land Rover Discovery, Jaguar E-Pace, BMW X3, Audi Q3...)
According to Ford Spain's website, the base Edge Trend AWD (somewhere between SE & SEL trim of the US Edge) starts at 38,112€, while the Titanium AWD starts at 41,112€.

The base BMW X3 sDrive20i (2WD) starts at 45,850€
The Jaguar E-Pace and Audi Q3 you mentioned small C-segment SUV/CUVs.

In Europe, a small vehicle with a luxury badge will most likely win over a larger lower-priced vehicle without a luxury badge. My guess, extra size is not a selling point over there unlike the US.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Is there a possibility the Puma will be sold in the US?
If it will only be manufactured in Europe, I have a feeling they won't bring it over.

According to Ford Spain's website, the base Edge Trend AWD (somewhere between SE & SEL trim of the US Edge) starts at 38,112€, while the Titanium AWD starts at 41,112€.

The base BMW X3 sDrive20i (2WD) starts at 45,850€
The Jaguar E-Pace and Audi Q3 you mentioned small C-segment SUV/CUVs.

In Europe, a small vehicle with a luxury badge will most likely win over a larger lower-priced vehicle without a luxury badge. My guess, extra size is not a selling point over there unlike the US.

The Edge in Spain ( i live here) cost, in the basic trim , 46125 €. If you get some special discounts (stock vehicles, some kind of financing) you can get it for 38112 €. I know it very well because I´m searching for a car and I´m consulting many brands.

For example, a loaded Focus Vignale and a tech loaded new Mercedes-Benz A Class compact can be purchased with the same down payment and leasing plan at 48 months! (arround 8000€ of down payment and 300 € of monthly payment) What would you choose in this case?

Ford have a problem in Europe with its marketing and prices schemes.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The Edge in Spain ( i live here) cost, in the basic trim , 46125 €. If you get some special discounts (stock vehicles, some kind of financing) you can get it for 38112 €. I know it very well because I´m searching for a car and I´m consulting many brands.

For example, a loaded Focus Vignale and a tech loaded new Mercedes-Benz A Class compact can be purchased with the same down payment and leasing plan at 48 months! (arround 8000€ of down payment and 300 € of monthly payment) What would you choose in this case?

Ford have a problem in Europe with its marketing and prices schemes.
Depends whether you need to space of the Edge or if something smaller will work.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Ford Media noise prior to launching Edge in Europe - August 05, 2016 Automotive News Europe article.

Ford is targeting premium rivals with its new European flagship, the Edge.
"We see the competition as the Volvo XC60 and Audi Q5"
In Europe, the Edge will be sold only with a diesel engine
Executives say that all trim levels of the SUV are aimed at winning premium buyers.
Ford has raised its annual sales predictions for the Edge in Europe to 25,000-30,000 from 20,000 when it first showed the European production model in 2014, citing booming SUV sales.
What's good: Quiet, spacious and among the best in its class for driving dynamics. It also looks good.

What's bad: Poor fuel economy and high CO2 emissions.

Launch date: May

Base price: 29,995 pounds (UK)

Where built: Oakville, Canada

Lowest CO2 emissions: 149g/km

Main rivals: Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, Nissan X-Trail, Hyundai Santa Fe

https://europe.autonews.com/article/20160805/ANE/160729933/ford-makes-edge-its-european-flagship

The dealership here in Tallinn still have the same Edge's in inventory since it was launched.
I have seen 1 on the streets here without dealer plates.

Link shows the inventory and discount pricing of 8,000+ euro's https://ford.infoauto.ee/kampaania/laokarussell/Edge&any&any&any&any&any&any

IMO limiting the powertrain choice of diesel only was a major bad decision at a time when consumers were moving away from diesel.

Too bad because prior to the face lift the Edge is one of the better looking high riders.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
The glut of overpriced cuv/suvs and slower model sales is having an impact on profits across the board and globally, and it will just get worse. Automotive news expects in the next few years the price war between the 240+ cuv/suv models will drive the margins below what sedans are today. Brands what have 'desirable' compact and midsize sedans will do well, but those betting everything on cuv/suvs will struggle.

Looking at the Edge, the Fusion sedan on the same platform outsold it by over 11K units for 1st qtr, and that lead keeps expanding each month.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Once again, volumes is not the goal, but profit is. Even if price wars break out, there will still be much higher margins than sedans with huge incentives on already pathetic margins.

Nice try bloggin, pretending that the huge demand for CUV's will somehow hurt Ford' emphasis on them. Between an all new Escape, Explorer, Bronco and mini Bronco alone will generate massive profits -- completely ignoring the Lincoln factor. Further profit will come from not wasting billions on upgrading low margin sedan products, while allowing for deeper capital investment in their high margin products and new tech. I see no downside here whatsoever.

Keep up the comic relief though

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Between an all new Escape, Explorer, Bronco and mini Bronco alone will generate massive profits -- completely ignoring the Lincoln factor. Further profit will come from not wasting billions on upgrading low margin sedan products, while allowing for deeper capital investment in their high margin products and new tech.
I guess the other question is: Will the global market benefit from these new Ford SUV models, particularly the much anticipated Bronco and baby Bronco?

I recall when a Ford Australia executive was asked about the upcoming Bronco, the reply was there will be no right-hand drive version. In other words, it won't be a global model like the Wrangler.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Between an all new Escape, Explorer, Bronco and mini Bronco alone will generate massive profits -- completely ignoring the Lincoln factor. Further profit will come from not wasting billions on upgrading low margin sedan products, while allowing for deeper capital investment in their high margin products and new tech.
I guess the other question is: Will the global market benefit from these new Ford SUV models, particularly the much anticipated Bronco and baby Bronco?

I recall when a Ford Australia executive was asked about the upcoming Bronco, the reply was there will be no right-hand drive version. In other words, it won't be a global model like the Wrangler.
Likely not...as we speak, markets outside NA are starving for new models.

As the environment gets more challenging abroad, I predict Ford will exit some markets as competition figures out how to squeeze more profit out of sales and Ford can’t keep up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts