Ford Inside News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche CEO hints at Macan GTS, expects brand sales growth to 200K+

Porsche is expecting big things from its little Macan, with CEO Matthias Mueller announcing that not only is a sportier GTS model being considered, but that the CUV will almost certainly help push Porsche beyond its 200,000-unit-per-year sales goal three years earlier than expected.

"We're transferring the genes of the Porsche brand into a new market segment," Mueller said during a speech to kick off Macan production, according to Automotive News Europe. Macan demand should push the brand past 200,000 sales, Mueller said, confirming what we reported back in August. And if Porsche really has a hit on its hands, it is able to boost production of the sporty crossover beyond its initial capacity of 50,000 units, according to the brand's CEO.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
There is a reason that Porsche is the most profitable automaker on planet earth, and its uncanny ability to enter a size class, and price their vehicle one or two price classes above is absolutely masterful.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
There is a reason that Porsche is the most profitable automaker on planet earth, and its uncanny ability to enter a size class, and price their vehicle one or two price classes above is absolutely masterful.
It is masterful, though I cannot for the life of me understand the attraction that Porsche holds. The 911, Cayman, and Boxster all make sense to me, the rest of the lineup I see people buying them simply because of the Porsche name. The Panamera may well be the ugliest car I've ever seen. I remember back when I was still relatively young the car magazines had images of four door 928's and Porsche was thinking of building them. Now all these years later they've done it, people buy it, and I still don't get it.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Interesting how when Porsche/Audi/VW, Mercedes, and BMW went small cuv, they went low riding sport wagon.

Which is why a Focus Hatch based Lincoln MKA Hatch at the $30k end, along with a LincStang Hatch at $40+, that can run with the Germans is a really good idea.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It is masterful, though I cannot for the life of me understand the attraction that Porsche holds. The 911, Cayman, and Boxster all make sense to me, the rest of the lineup I see people buying them simply because of the Porsche name. The Panamera may well be the ugliest car I've ever seen. I remember back when I was still relatively young the car magazines had images of four door 928's and Porsche was thinking of building them. Now all these years later they've done it, people buy it, and I still don't get it.
The Panamera is actually quite notable aesthetically in person (from the front perspective), and somehow the quite dreadful rear 3/4 view in pictures is not as absolutely grotesque in person. The allure of the Porsche name is simply that their vehicles are the absolute most dynamic vehicles in each segment, and that a Porsche owner is seen as someone who expects excellence.

Interesting how when Porsche/Audi/VW, Mercedes, and BMW went small cuv, they went low riding sport wagon.

Which is why a Focus Hatch based Lincoln MKA Hatch at the $30k end, along with a LincStang Hatch at $40+, that can run with the Germans is a really good idea.
Just how much differentiation do you think Lincoln can provide in a vehicle like the MKA which will by default have to be not utterly divergent in price from Titanium level Focii? The interior is easy because they can use the Focus Vignale interior from Europe but the exterior will certainly not work as an upscale Lincoln product.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Just how much differentiation do you think Lincoln can provide in a vehicle like the MKA which will by default have to be not utterly divergent in price from Titanium level Focii? The interior is easy because they can use the Focus Vignale interior from Europe but the exterior will certainly not work as an upscale Lincoln product.
This would be a proper Lincoln based on the focus hatch 'frame', like the Fusion/MKZ and Escape/MKC. The Vignale concept will really only work in the UK, and that's just a placeholder until it becomes viable to offer the Lincoln brand in the UK. UK has had Titanium level for so long, they needed an even higher trim level. All eyes should be on the US and China for what's possible for Lincoln, as what's offered there should be launched in other markets.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see anything reported yet but still checking. But do remember this.....

"IHS Automotive projects MKC sales in the United States will total 22,490 in 2014 and 25,546 in 2015."
thanks for the info Bloggin, I think that they can sell more tan that, maybe 35k+ at least.......22k in 6 months is it ok IMHO

·
Registered
428 Posts
The Panamera is actually quite notable aesthetically in person (from the front perspective), and somehow the quite dreadful rear 3/4 view in pictures is not as absolutely grotesque in person. The allure of the Porsche name is simply that their vehicles are the absolute most dynamic vehicles in each segment, and that a Porsche owner is seen as someone who expects excellence.

Don't forget Porsches are rock solid vehicles.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Don't forget Porsches are rock solid vehicles.
Rock solid yes, and their maintenance requirements as well as their reliability say that if you do not pay utmost attention to their care that you will soon own a vehicle that is as useful for transportation as a rock.

;)

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
It seems the Focus ST brings Ford into the higher income bracket with performance hatches.

"When considering the demographics of typical Ford (NYSE:F) buyers, it’s interesting to note that the average income breaks six figures. In the case of the compact sport-hatch Focus ST, that number reaches a stunning $127,000 average income, according to a statement by Ford. Even more encouraging for the automaker is the rate at which the Focus ST is making Ford buyers out of carowners who are new to the brand."

Which means Ford knows they need to offer performance models for Lincoln to hold on to that younger affluent consumer.

"For Ford, that may translate to Lincoln sales down the line if they can hold the attention of Focus ST buyers through the years."

Here is the complete article: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...-cornering-wealthy-car-buyers.html/?a=viewall

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Quite simply there is a reason that Chevrolet offers so many performance cars, and that the Corvette remains with the Chevrolet brand. Lincoln moving forward will need at least a one if not two tier performance sub brand to truly attain a notable level of conquests.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Quite simply there is a reason that Chevrolet offers so many performance cars, and that the Corvette remains with the Chevrolet brand. Lincoln moving forward will need at least a one if not two tier performance sub brand to truly attain a notable level of conquests.
So true. I think a powerful Mustang based Sedan, Coupe and Convertible would do it. Under the Lincoln Red Label brand. There should really be a Red Label Performance version of each new Lincoln model. Down to the MKC. The MKZ already looks like it has a performance package, but Red Label can take it further.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that a two tier performance sub brand approach works best, and Lincoln could use Red Label and R Label.
agree, I would love to see something like AMG and M sport do..........R Label - like AMG package, M package and Red Label - like AMG, M sport

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
SP1966 said:
...The Panamera may well be the ugliest car I've ever seen...
I thought it was horrible in photos
but in person; esp. after sitting in its wonderful interior, even the rear compartment;
suddenly it's girth/mass started looking "impressive" or "imposing" to me

Bloggin said:
...Focus Hatch based Lincoln MKA Hatch at the $30k end, along with a LincStang Hatch at $40+,..
my LinStang starts at $50k - for a 2.7EB+minor electrics on the front wheels for anti-slip Awd
&
the Grand-Cmax-based MKE starts at $40k for an Energi with twice the Focus's 7.6kWh batteries & a 1.5EB ... maybe with the e-motors in the rear for on-demand Awd

Jose said:
Bloggin View Post I don't see anything reported yet but still checking. But do remember this..... "IHS Automotive projects MKC sales in the United States will total 22 said:
thanks for the info Bloggin, I think that they can sell more tan that, maybe 35k+ at least.......22k in 6 months is it ok IMHO
imho Lincoln will sell every MKC they make
*BUT*
they can't sell more than they make no matter how high the demand
(tho the dealers CAN charge more for them
)

&
re: two-tier performance editions
yeah - s'ok - fine - go ahead an do it
just
(since I HATE [redticket])
I'd find it ever-so refreshing and UN-pompous if they did NOT name them
Ooooo idea!!
along the lines of my fully customized/bespoke [WhiteLabel] (as the ONLY other "label")
what IF
the had a (literally) a red portfolio in the dealerships which had all the details about their performance editions??
Lincoln reps could even talk about the "red portfolio" BUT NO badging or package nomenclature would appear on the vehicle or even the OrderGuides
...tho maybe the owners would have a mini red "insert" (or lining?) in their Owner's Manual :thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I never liked CUV s personally but that Macan is gaining my consideration.

I like it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts