·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Price tag for Ford EcoBoost: $700

Amy Wilson
Automotive News
August 18, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will charge a premium of around $700 for its much-touted EcoBoost engine system when it goes on sale in 2009.

A 3.5-liter V-6 with EcoBoost will arrive next year on the Lincoln MKS sedan and Ford Flex crossover.

The V-6 with EcoBoost is slated for the Ford F-150 in 2010, and the pickup application will produce "significantly more" than 340 hp and 340 pounds-feet of torque, said Brett Hinds, Ford's advanced engine design manager. That tops the 300-hp rating of the largest engine -- a 5.4- liter V-8 -- in the current F-150.

EcoBoost technology combines turbocharging and gasoline direct injection. A V-6 with EcoBoost gets as much as 20 percent better fuel economy than a conventional V-8, Ford says. It also improves performance and will enable the company to replace V-8s with V-6s and V-6s with four-cylinder engines.

The fuel savings will enable buyers to recoup the premium paid for EcoBoost technology within two years, Hinds said. When going from a V-8 to a V-6 with EcoBoost, Ford estimates annual savings at $339 when driving 15,000 miles per year with gasoline costing $3.25 a gallon.

continue at the link

·
Registered
246 Posts
So can one assume $700 will go across the board or will there be a price hike for the MKS?

Anywho, $700 is cheaper than I thought it'd be by far.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Much better than I thought too. I assumed it would be offered only on a limited type model, and eek in just under $2,000.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My thoughts too...Even though the engine costs $700...Won't it have to be a package for some vehicles since the MKS will need AWD and supposedly gets new wheels/seats/interior peices?

·
Registered
59 Posts
$700 does seem to be a very reasonable price. Has anyone heard whether it runs on regular fuel or will require premium?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
edit
just read a post by a knowledgeable friend elsewhere say that it has been stated that these engines are designed to run on regular (& she knows her stuff!) so they won't require premium
That's good to know 2b2 thanks for the info.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I saw that article also. Someone likely said something they should not have said.

From Kicking Tires on the MKS EcoBoost
EcoBoost pricing hasn’t been announced, but Lincoln spokesman Mark Shirmer says that it will be competitively priced with other V-8 option packages on the market. Competition includes the Cadillac STS and Infiniti M series. On the 2009 STS with all-wheel drive, V-8 power is a $9,150 upgrade​

EcoBoost will likely only be sold in combination with AWD and $9,000 for the 2 options sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't believe that ecoboost and AWD will be that expensive. Currently the AWD option on MKS & MKZ is priced at $1,890 MSRP which is only $40 more than it is on Mercury vehicles. Do you really believe that ecoboost will cost over $7,000?
The cost to Ford Motor Company is likely close to the $700 that was originally quoted.

I do believe the referenced web page. Ford will market it as an alternative to a V8. with better fuel economy.

If Cadillac can charge +$9,000 for a V8 and AWD why wouldn't Lincoln try to charge the same ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can believe the referenced web page all you like. But that web page does not say that $9000 will be the price. It makes a comparison to a very expensive Cadillac and Infinity. I would bet the farm that Ford will not price Ecoboost this way. The Ford Flex will not be competing with Cadillac so this price would never work as Lincoln will keep pricing in line with the similar Ford offering.
You may be right, but anyone who thinks you can add twin turbos and all of their associated plumbing including wastegates, a special high pressure pump, special high pressure injectors, re-design the cylinder heads, pistons and intake manifold for $700 is crazy.
If you read further in the article you will see it say

"This will be a be a high-volume effort. Ford expects Ecoboost production to be available in 90% of its lineup as standard or optional equipment by 2013"
True. But the vast majority of those vehicles will be 4 cylinder engines which will only have 1 turbo.
How do you suppose Ford will be able to raise the price on 90% of its lineup by over $7,000? You need to remember that GM does not install Northstar V8 engines in 90% of its lineup.
No, but if GM can do it on a Cadillac, why can't Ford do the same on a Lincoln ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, Motor Trend has "muddied" the EcoBoost 3.5L "cost" waters !

...less than $1000 more costly than a conventional V-8...​

So maybe that $700 cost was over the cost of a conventional V8, not the existing 3.5L V6 !!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts