Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PSA (Peugeot/Citroën) in the USA

I am not a huge fan of foreign manufacturers simply because many that I have driven (including the car I own now) have been underpowered, and overly safety sensitive. (I had to disable the lane beep and smart trunk in my 2015 Sonata.) I also find the materials quality to be quite cheap for the work Asian manufacturers put in to make the cars look expensive. (notice I didn't say good *cough* Toyota *cough*)

One of my more favorite European car companies is Audi. But Audi can get into expensive territory.

However my all time favorites in the foreign market have been Peugeot (more Citroën). I have always loved their quirky, but good looking designs. I have even responded to some of Toyota's recent designs saying that they could use some design help from the French if they want to be different. As much as I love Ford (and the FIN community), Ford comes 2nd after Citroen. Though in my future car buying journey (maybe ten years from now) I would definitely still keep one Ford and one PSA in my garage.

Do you want Peugeot and Citroen in the US? What do you want to see from them?

http://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/psa-is-already-working-on-vehicles-for.html

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re: PSA (Peugeot/Citroën) in the USA

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/peugeot-citroen-us-return-dealer-profits/

However, according to Automotive News, the PSA group thinks it has a solution to this that would reduce the dealer's startup costs, keep profit margins high, and make the buying experience simpler for US consumers. A large part of this plan would likely include an app and various other digital means to smooth the buying process. We imagine it would function something like Hyundai Shopper Assurance.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Wow, top looks just like a Fusion.
By the way, that 508 above is an old Photoshop edited image, here's the actual 2019 Peugeot 508.

-burlappcar.com

Higher trim with bigger wheels.

-honestjohn.co.uk

That Citroen C6 you posted was developed for the Chinese market. Citroen currently has no big car for the rest of the world.

The DS 5 from Citroen's DS premium sub-brand.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Very beautiful design as expected. The rear is very A7-like. Peugeot knows how to keep the sedan alive as many other companies (including Ford) don't. I'd be happy to buy one in my usual brown-on-brown or brown-on-beige configuration if only it was sold in the US. 2026 sounds really late, which means PSA will need to push themselves a lot harder by then, which I don't doubt they will. I'm interested to see what they come up with in 8 years.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

More 2017/18 C6 Pictures:

That, along with the likes of the C4 Cactus, Aircross, DS5, and the DS7 SUV are the most likely candidates for US arrival.

I do hope Citroën has more common sense than Ford to follow the short term 'Crossoverpocalypse', and will bring us a variety of styles and sizes.

on the peugeot side, the 508, 3008 and 5008 seem the most likely

I've actually seen a couple of these running around where I live in San Antonio, Texas. I believe Mexico gets them, so once in a while I'll see one of these or the 208 driving around.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

If Mitsubishi had a Buick equivalent, these would fit right in.

·
Registered
316 Posts

When/if they return, I wouldn't be surprised if it's with the DS brand. The Numero 9 concept from a few years back was gorgeous. It would fit into that "white space" quite nicely.

Sedan or not, the Metropolis concept was sexy as well.

Of course the DS7 would be the volume model.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

hmm... More Colors! ...in the U.K

also checked the French configurator
didn't see that color I called Marron .....the lighter tan is "Brun";
it's cute they use areas of Paris as 'theme' Names

edit:
found it in a .Pdf...called..."INSPIRATION DS OPERA - ART RUBIS"
& it's only available in a limited edition, [La Premiere] with
only 3 paints: Silver Met. and black or white pearl
re-edit - not sure which theme:

notes:
- President Emmanuel Macron got a preproduction DS7 for his official ride
- DS7s are only 180" long, 107.8" wlb

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

is this off-topic?

France Thinks It Can Return to U.S. Auto Market On a Shoestring Budget
TTAC
- Matt Posky - May 16, 2018
Since acquiring Opel and Vauxhall from General Motors, France’s PSA Group has dropped not-so-subtle hints that it wants back into the American market. Chief executive Carlos Tavares said the group is already engineering upcoming models to meet U.S. regulations. “That means that from three years down the road we’ll be able to push the button, if we decide to do so, in terms of product compliance vis-a-vis the U.S. regulations,” he explained during the Frankfurt Auto Show.

That means Citroën and Peugeot should have a few vehicles ready for export after 2020...

...“We see the high cost of doing this business; we see the challenges that exist in profitability for dealers and OEMs,” PSA North America chief Larry Dominique told Automotive News last week. “We believe with the new tools, the new technology, the new customer expectations, there are leaner, more agile ways to do this.”

Establishing a dealer network of one’s own is ludicrously expensive. PSA doesn’t want to gamble on it...

...As for the cars, PSA hasn’t said much. We know it wants to minimize set-up costs wherever possible, swapping to digital solutions without alienating customers. However, we haven’t really heard anything about tangible product. That should change by winter.

“At the end of this year, we are going to make things a lot clearer relative to [product] timelines,” Dominique said. “By early [2019], we are going to be working more toward the next phase of selling retail, not just planning.”

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I find it funny they're developing US-spec models with the help of Opel.....as if any of the imported Opels have done well here.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I find it funny they're developing US-spec models with the help of Opel.....as if any of the imported Opels have done well here.
Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover seem to be doing quite well under their new roofs. No reason Opel can't ... except that their new roof is Peugeot/Citroen who know even less about the U.S. market than Fiat.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Aside from unfortunate FWD proportions - especially Citroen - I always found French designs quirky and attractive. I remember Peugeot, Citroen, Simca, Facel-Vega and Deutsche-Bonnet as making some of my favorite cars. A former client owned a Citroen SM which he let me drive; it was way ahead of its time. A classmate of mine in flight school actually owned a Deutsche-Bonnet. One of my all-time favorite cars was the Simca-Abarth racer designed by Zagato; it was a bigger, badder design-mate of the Fiat-Abarth 750 (the original "double-bubble").

I often wondered why the French never tried to enter the U.S. market since the '80s. I understand that some French laws put them at a disadvantage but they were repealed decades ago. It finally must have gotten through to them that every other major auto manufacturing nation has made inroads here but now the climate is more hostile than ever to new marques breaking in. Their purchase of Opel gives them some experience in meeting U.S. regulatory environments so that must be a factor in their thinking.

There is no compelling reason for me to consider a Peugeot/Citroen especially since all of their sedans appear to be FWD-based. I wish them luck if they do tackle the U.S. market. What's good for customers (more choices), however, may not be good for Ford.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Seeing the new Peugeot's rear lights I keep mistaking them for Mustangs

Attachments

Reactions: pffan1990
1 - 20 of 26 Posts