Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R&T: Z06 Leaves GT_R in the Dust to Quarter Mile
Matches GTR- 0-60

It kept pace with the others to 60 mph, and then managed to set the fastest trap speed at the quarter-mile mark (123.7 mph), besting the 911 Turbo by 2.5 mph and the GT-R by 7.2. This just goes to show that although the Corvette couldn't get off the line as quickly as its awd competitors, once it got going, nothing here could touch it.​
Road & Track Link

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did you read the intro?
Here we discovered that not only did the GT-R measure up to the hype, it sliced it to pieces with a samurai sword.
Oh please! It's ugly....really ugly. It's faster only on one particular track. The GT-R is slower in the quarter. I'd take the "vette any day over it, hands down.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you read the intro?

Oh please! It's ugly....really ugly. It's faster only on one particular track. The GT-R is slower in the quarter. I'd take the "vette any day over it, hands down.
I read the intro. I think the GT-R is an exellent car, like you I got to take into account that the track they tested them at is favorable to the GT-R and Porsche with AWD, Had the straight lines been just 1 mile longer, the Z06 would leave both these cars in the dust.
The Fun part will be those Utube videos where guys honk and race each other while the cars are already doing like 60 miles.. The Vette is going to spank the GT-R every time, assuming they are both stock...becouse, nothing has more tourque at hire revs than the Z06, add GT-R weight and lower power, it does not stand a chance...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yup :) don't think anyone could seriously not acknowledge the Corvette as deserving of its icon status
(even people like me who generally prefer all-purpose small cars)
I agree. I only wish Ford would come up with a cheap American car like the Corvette, though at this time, the Corvette Engineering team has serious expirience with RWD, V8 application.
Does Ford have any pushrod V8 left in its stable?

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Ford already has a cheap American car. Think stang.
The vette may best it on a track, but far more fun can be had with my kids in the back seat cruising Woodward and watching the expressions on their faces...then I ever could have with a 2 seater. That is called value to me, much more so than a few 1/10 on a track.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The vette may best it on a track, but far more fun can be had with my kids in the back seat cruising Woodward and watching the expressions on their faces...then I ever could have with a 2 seater. That is called value to me, much more so than a few 1/10 on a track.
The Mustang competes aganist the likes of G6 Coupe, BMW 3 series and GTO and the upcoming Camaro, Challenger..
The Corvette is another class. Think Porsche 911

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree. I only wish Ford would come up with a cheap American car like the Corvette, though at this time, the Corvette Engineering team has serious expirience with RWD, V8 application.
Does Ford have any pushrod V8 left in its stable?

Cheap
in this catagory is relative. LOL Especially when the cars mentioned are $70K to $135K. The Ford GT (40) was faster. While they got $175,000 they listed for $140K.

On the lower end the Shelby GT500 is somewhat comparable to the regular Corvette, although it doesn't handle as well. Seems a shame Ford couldn't make a budget GT also.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Mustang GT is a modern muscle car....not an ultimate sports car! Big difference.
And I'm not knocking it.....I have one. A friend has a new Vette. Very different cars!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Mustang GT is a modern muscle car....not an ultimate sports car! Big difference.
And I'm not knocking it.....I have one. A friend has a new Vette. Very different cars!
A am well versed in the difference between a stang and a vette. I have owned both.

I was pointing out my preference for a fun "affordable" car. Ford sells far more stangs and the reason is that many feel the same way. You are too limited with a vette.
A vette and a Mustang are very different vehicles.. Its like comparing a Ford Edge to a Minivan.. or a a F150 to a pontiac G8 ute.
Both are very successful at what they do. But they are not competitors.
The only thing I can think they have in common is the Detroit makers

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
The vette and the stang have far more in common than just source location.
They both began as muscle cars and their names still continue as classics. They both sit low and are defined by their performance.
They both have 6 speed transmissions.
They both are RWD and can burn rubber on a dime.
They both have powerful V8's.
They are both a blast to drive.

I am fully aware of the vettes capabilites and it is a very capable sportscar, but as a middle aged man with young children, I can't help but think how selfish I would have to be to own one. That means I could only take myself or one person along with me anywhere I go, which is why I have no practical purpose for one. That is why I would rather have a stang. And if I desired far more performance than I needed, then there are stangs for that too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts