Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I didn't think this was coming to the US from the mundane fact that none of the prototypes sported the US-spec design. Looks good though!

If we don't get an announcement around Chicago or New York for a US Raptor, than it won't be coming with the 2019 Truck.

Ford usually likes to save things like this for a mid-cycle update to reinvigorate interest instead of front-loading everything so that might happen here.

It's also a non-trivial matter to develop this product with different engines so the fact that this Raptor is diesel significantly complicates the possibility that they've made one for the US.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This would really work as a halo for the Ranger nameplate, and I would see it helping sales of the regular models as well.

Reactions: falcon lover

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I didn't think this was coming to the US from the mundane fact that none of the prototypes sported the US-spec design. Looks good though!

If we don't get an announcement around Chicago or New York for a US Raptor, than it won't be coming with the 2019 Truck.

Ford usually likes to save things like this for a mid-cycle update to reinvigorate interest instead of front-loading everything so that might happen here.

It's also a non-trivial matter to develop this product with different engines so the fact that this Raptor is diesel significantly complicates the possibility that they've made one for the US.
If they don't bring it to NA then I'd guess it has more to do with the Bronco than anything else. A four door Ranger Raptor and four door Bronco cover a lot of the same ground and would surely compete for sales in the same showroom.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
(prolley just to be contrary)
I'm thinking a ThaiRRaptor is kinda like re-sizing/morphing what the USRaptor role is into RotW-speak (drivetrain could/might vary by market?)
while
for the US I can kinda see 2 (TWO) Rangeros: 1 offroad powerful, 2 light-&-nimble
but neither using the Raptor nameplate

still wondering about a non-squinty (square-ish) Bronco face on some USRanger ... eventually
:toetap:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

Everything that was made US-spec (bumpers, fenders, etc.) has changed for the Raptor version, so I don't understand your " they didn't have US specs " comment.

Reactions: HotRod

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Everything that was made US-spec (bumpers, fenders, etc.) has changed for the Raptor version, so I don't understand your " they didn't have US specs " comment.
The rear light fixtures, tailgate, rear glass, and CHMSL are all elements redesigned for the US Ranger which are not present on the global Raptor which use the existing components instead. None of the Raptor prototypes were updated with the US spec designs which would incorporate things like the redesigned aluminum tailgate, wider LED light fixtures with Radar modules, electronically controlled rear window opening (like F-150) and more.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The rear light fixtures, tailgate, rear glass, and CHMSL are all elements redesigned for the US Ranger which are not present on the global Raptor which use the existing components instead.

All the parts you just mentioned are super easy to interchange, especially when you consider they will be manufactured in different factories. US Raptor will have the US-Spec parts.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
All the parts you just mentioned are super easy to interchange, especially when you consider they will be manufactured in different factories. US Raptor will have the US-Spec parts.
My point isn't that it can't be done, it's just that there isn't evidence from the prototypes that it has been done.

And unless they use the international Ranger's halogen rear light fixtures, they will need to redesign the fender for the US light fixtures which have a different shape and size.

US ranger also has a different bumper mounting system for frame mounted steel bumpers and tow hooks and it looks like this Raptor is still using that plastic fascia mounting system with the tow hooks set further under the bumper. So this would probably mean a different fascia design for the US Raptor.

I think a Ranger Raptor will happen, but perhaps not for another 2-3 years to kick off an update. And there is no reason to launch the Ranger Raptor globally and actively exclude the US when they just launched the Ranger last month and should have talked about it then. Essentially Ford has no problem telling people that the Ranger Raptor is not for the US which is something they never do unless the vehicle is indeed not coming to the US. And considering how fundamentally different this truck is from the US spec Ranger (engine, transmission, frame, design elements, features), I see no reason to believe it's coming here at this stage and there were likely no plans to do so.

Anyway, just my deduction on the situation (which has been my thinking since we saw the US Ranger last month). Things could change over the next few months.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I hate JollyPop (or what it USED TO BE, avoided for years) appreciate this sacrifice...

The 2019 Ford Raptor Ranger Is Your Diesel Off-Road Performance Truck Dream Come True
JollyPop
- Patrick George - Today

The new Raptor Ranger was unveiled today at a press conference in Thailand, and Ford took pains to say that what you’re seeing is the Asia Pacific market version of this truck, which makes me assume the one North America will get could be slightly different somehow. (At the very least, our steering wheel will be on the left.)

But! This baby Raptor packs an all-new twin-turbo 2.0-liter diesel inline four (yes, two turbos) with 210 horsepower and a whomping 369 lb-ft of torque. That’s a decent amount more power and torque than the 3.2-liter turbodiesel five-cylinder the Ranger uses across the globe, and that much torque should get it moving nicely.

But power’s only part of the equation. The Raptor Ranger has an assortment of improvements for off-roading, including Fox Racing Shox dampers, dent-resistant composite fenders, an integrated tow bar with tow hooks, BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires, the F-150 Raptor’s off-roading modes, and a new 10-speed automatic transmission...

No Body believes ANYthing on the Twitterer anymore, DO they??

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is absolutely a 2.7L Ranger in the cards, that much I can promise. Diesel is being considered, but no way for Raptor in NA. I would expect almost no customers for it.
A 2.7L is what you're getting in NA anyway, or do you mean the Asia-Pacific market?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I don’t think the US will get this, and if they do they won’t go backwards from the 2.7 to a 2.0.

There’s quite a backlash on social media due to it only having a 2 litre diesel, and I think that criticism is warranted. For the life of me I can’t understand how Ford missed the opportunity to use the V6 Powerstroke. VW Amarok has a 600Nm diesel that easily outdoes this top of the line’s milk bottle.

As a total package though it won’t have many competitors. They would have hit a home run had they used the V6.
I think they hit a home run already with this Ranger Raptor.
In Asia-Pacific, the Ranger is not worried about the Amarok (It's actually absent from many markets in the region).

21 - 40 of 78 Posts