Ford Inside News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford 'working very hard' on F-150 hybrid.
Autoblog
By: Sebastian Blanco
December 4, 2014

The lighter, aluminum-bodied 2015 Ford F-150 gets (at best) 26 miles per gallon. That's not bad for a truck that size – and we should always remember that improving gas guzzlers can make a big difference – but what if the popular truck came with a gas-electric hybrid powertrain? How efficient would that be? We heard Ford talking about such a vehicle last year, and now we learn that Ford is still "working very hard" to make a F-150 hybrid happen.

You want details? Well, we all want details, but those will not be coming for quite some time. Last year, Ford's global product development chief, Raj Nair, said that the company was planning to have hybrid pickups and hybrid SUVs on sale by 2020. With fuel prices dropping, Nair is now saying that a hybrid F-150 makes more sense, financially, than a diesel, but Ford could make both options available, depending on customer demand. The diesel wouldn't require all that much work, Nair said, since "we've got diesels in the portfolio."

To date, the only hybrid F-150s we've seen have been conversions, often PHEVs, like this example from HVET or this one from Quantum. Pickup trucks from other manufacturers haven't been greeted with huge sales numbers. General Motors stopped making its big two-mode hybrids and cancelled the next-gen program.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see both come to life. If Dodge's Ecodiesel and the diesel coming to the Colorado spike much more interest, I'd expect that Ford would have a response, because they'll need to keep mid-displacement diesels in development for the Transit, anyway.

As for a hybrid, this will be the 3rd (4th, maybe?) set of rumors that has involved a system for the F-series. I hope recent technological strides make it a reality, soon...but I imagine they're having to get enough torque and economy to make a truly special drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I can see it now, an F-150 Energi. 30+ EV miles, 40mpg, electric AWD. Run equipment and lighting onsite with no need to run the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
With the amount of trucks Ford sells, they can afford both a diesel and hybrid.
True....as the volume leader, Ford should cover all the bases so there is no reason for a consumer to look anywhere else. They offer 4 gasoline engines for the F-150, so why not at least 1 diesel, 1 hybrid and 1 plug-in. Ranger also with EcoBoost, diesel and hybrid.

Overwhelm the competition with the 'power of choice'.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Nair also told the aforementioned daily newspaper that “if we see demand, we've got diesels in the portfolio.”

Ford won't just do diesel for the sake of diesel. A Built Ford Tough Diesel will have to offer the most torque, be the most fuel efficient, the quietest and be the cleanest.

But i am sure Ford is watching the lease returns and trade-ins on the Ram diesel to see if that consumer is willing to get into another diesel, or did the consumer quickly realize the cost outweighed the expected benefit.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
^ I agree but I don't believe the plug-in is a reasonable reality for the forseeable future especially with no market for it. Ford could implement the diesel in months if they wanted too, and the hybrid seems about 2 years away.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If it's intelligently built, it can be a 'turn the tap on or off' on the production line according to demand. Obviously they need a minimum of sales to pay for the required investment, but for the consumer it is simply another fuel-efficient offering, and I think it is a very smart addition to the F-150 lineup.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ I agree but I don't believe the plug-in is a reasonable reality for the forseeable future especially with no market for it...
just-imho
'''plug-in''' is where it's at for electrification today and the near future;
plain-hybrid is passé & pure-BEV isn't ready for primetime
+ working towards systems where the petrol/electro can be equally powerful or either more-so will encourage even greater strides
also
have a hunch that tho the report is True regarding developments for the F-150,
the immediate target is the nextgen F-150-based AluNavigator (& the PlatTanium Ford version...)

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
If Ford can do diesels cheap and easy maybe...
But they have a bad rap for a reason and the world wide leader (France) in diesels has come out and said they made a mistake and our going to try and get rid of diesels...
http://gas2.org/2014/12/03/france-moves-away-diesel-cars/
Ford understands the trend away from diesel around the world. And it is those global automakers who spent so many years depending on dirty diesel to increase fuel economy, that are now pushing dirty diesel onto the US for the same reasons. But unlike other countries where diesel fuel is cheaper than unleaded, it's the opposite here in the US.

But as I look at growing pile of used 2014 and 2015 Ram 1500 diesel trucks online, it seems consumers who actually have to pay for diesel fuel, are quickly figuring out that an additional $20+ dollars per fill up each week adds up quickly, and the unnecessary debt continues to grow as long as they own the full-size diesel truck.

However, clean hybrid technology costing less than the lowest diesel engine premium, will offer immediate and long term quiet operation and financial savings for the consumer.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would think a hybrid truck would be for those who just like to drive around. Would you really get the actual MPG claimed? What about if you had a heavy load in the back? I know Ford wants to do alternate type power to 1 up the competition. This concept could work on a Ranger-sized truck perhaps?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I would think a hybrid truck would be for those who just like to drive around. Would you really get the actual MPG claimed? What about if you had a heavy load in the back? I know Ford wants to do alternate type power to 1 up the competition. This concept could work on a Ranger-sized truck perhaps?
Around here the water dept and electric dept are two big companies that put a lot of city/neighborhood miles on F-150 regular cabs. Some have gone CNG, but if hybrid was available, they could save thousands a year in fuel costs per truck. At a fraction of the cost of going CNG. I would think the plug-in hybrid would be the workhorse for business with the ability to run and charge up equipment on site without burning gas. Along with the truck becoming an emergency power supply when needed. While at the same time benefiting from hybrid mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts