·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford to sell most of its Mazda stake -Nikkei
By Bernie Woodall
Oct 15, 2010
www.reuters.com

DETROIT, Oct 15 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) will sell almost all of its remaining stake in Mazda Motor Corp (7261.T) as it distances itself from the Japanese automaker it once controlled, the Nikkei newspaper reported on Friday.

Ford would cut its Mazda stake to 3 percent or less from 11 percent, the Japanese business daily said in its Saturday edition.

Ford denied the "speculation."

"Ford's ownership stake in Mazda remains unchanged," Ford said in a statement. "Ford continues to have a close strategic relationship with Mazda and we cooperate in areas of mutual benefit. We have no further comment on the speculation."

The 11 percent stake makes Ford the largest shareholder of Mazda. It would lose that position if a sell-down occurs.

Some of Ford's share in Mazda, the newspaper said, would be sold to Sumitomo group firms and other companies.

At the end of business in Japan on Friday, Ford held 195 million Mazda shares at a value of 42 billion yen ($516 million).

The newspaper reported that Mazda has asked some of its parts suppliers as well as its primary lender Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corp and Sumitomo Corp (8053.T) to buy the Ford shares.

A formal decision on the sale is to come next month, and will be structured so that the allocation for each buyer will be near 1 percent of outstanding shares, the report said.

Sumitomo Mitsui Banking is likely to replace Ford as the largest shareholder in Mazda, because Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group Inc (8316.T) already has a 2.9 percent interest in the Japanese automaker.

Full text at link

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
this doesn't greatly surprise me
...Ford denied the "speculation."

"Ford's ownership stake in Mazda remains unchanged," Ford said in a statement. "Ford continues to have a close strategic relationship with Mazda...
Ford denied the "speculation."
"Ford's commitment to Mercury remains unchanged," Ford said in a statement. "Ford continues to consider Mercury to be an important part of our portfolio...​
yeah, everybody here ought to know my opinion of Ford's "Nnouncements"

·
Registered
388 Posts
It has been quite obvious for a while, that Mazda does not appreciate having Ford being involved in their business. Even if, in essence, the only reason Mazda is still around, is because of Ford.

Ford would do well to wipe their hands of Mazda, and let those chips fall where they may.

I do very much like Mazda, as I greatly appreciate any company that tries to make appliances fun-to-drive. I guess I just don't get the almost palpable animosity.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't decide what to make of the "speculative" move. On the one had, every company from GM to Renault/Nissan says that due to current regulatory/engineering/technology/competitive pressures, companies need multiple partners to survive.

As for One Ford strategy, how can Ford survive in isolation? Ford is either savvy and holding a great hand of cards or is making a grave mistake. I do not know which is accurate.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Actually, on tech and even things such as mechanicals, Ford is partnering with alot of companies that have the experteese. This makes it much faster in coming out with upgrades, as they are not trying to duplicate what is already out there.

This is a big problem that GM has. If they don't invent it, or develop it themselves, they want no part in it. Look at Ford DCT transmissions, and Ecoboost controls/parts, as an example of leapfrogging their competition due to partnerships.

You pay a little more per unit, upfront, when partnering. However, the time you save, and the long term costs are much lower.

"One Ford" only refers to branding and products, world wide.

·
Registered
282 Posts
as it distances itself from the Japanese automaker it once controlled
Ford never owned a controlling interest in Mazda. At most I think they owned 33%.

Also, Japanese law does not allow non-Japanese companies to "control" Japanese companies.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ford never owned a controlling interest in Mazda. At most I think they owned 33%.

Also, Japanese law does not allow non-Japanese companies to "control" Japanese companies.
From what i understand, under Japanese law if shares are broken up between many different companies (as Mazda is), then if one of those companies has 33.4%, they then have a controlling interest.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I will say this. I think Ford will kill Lincoln. Everything until now indicates that the only thing safe is Ford

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I will say this. I think Ford will kill Lincoln. Everything until now indicates that the only thing safe is Ford
I've said similar things (8/24, 8/27, 9/9, 9/23, 10/5, 10/13) usually phrased more as a question or doubt;
most recently:
"...my doubts about KEEPING Lincoln being Plan-A or Plan-B...
...thinking "OneFord" is much more literal than we've been Led-To-Believe"​
BUT
I was just reminded today by a 'preview' in an AutolineDetroit episode of LINCOLN's biggest plus = Jim Farley,
who was a "debut" product planner with Lexus
hmmm...

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Rigth now, Lincoln is dead.

Is Mr M traying to give PCR to Lincoln? I dont know. The last anouncements could mean some effort to save the division, but i think Mr Mullaly is not very enthusiast with the idea of saving Lincoln.

One Ford is only one: Ford, not Ford and Lincoln...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Ford actually controlled Mazda from 1996, when Mazda's largest creditor the Sumitomo Bank, requested Ford to increase its share in Mazda from 25% to 33.6%, until last year. Mazda's CEO was appointed by Ford and usually was a Ford man and all major decisions has to be approved by Dearborn. Just google the info, its not that hard.

As for Lincoln disappearing, I think that some of you are up for a big surprise . . . .

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Ford is not going to kill Lincoln

it makes no sense, they just gave Lincoln its own product deveolpment, they also outlined 7 new products in 4 years, they have a whole new ad campaign, they have even announced going overseas with Lincoln besides the middle east and south korea

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
lincoln was just given its own engineering and design team headed up by a former Audi exec. Sounds far from dead to me.
Ford executives sayid that Mercury will have a Focus version...... and that car was ready...
Sounds like Ford management dont say the true some times.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford executives sayid that Mercury will have a Focus version...... and that car was ready...
+1
&
the Merc C557 was going to be my next car!!!

AND
with Lincoln apparently Not getting a Focus-based CAR:
2b2 said:
imho the ONLY name for the Focus-Cabrio is CAPRI
then the fixed-roof version would be the CORTINA
(of course these name should be MERCURYS!
Would've made so much sense, esp. since it now seems Lincoln is NOT getting a Focus-based CAR.
AND those^ two would've been fine temporarily as the Only Mercurys...
...until/unless a GRwdP/or/Mustang-based** COUGAR FINALLY came along;
those^ 3 would be a fantastic mini-lineup for Merc!

** a "LincStang" just doesn't reach-high™ enough imho)
LINK
IT'S NOT TOO LATE, Mr.M ! ! !

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Jesus, this thread was about Ford selling most of the remaining stock on Mazda. Does every thread have to be tainted with the bitching about Lincoln and Mercury?

·
Registered
388 Posts
It would appear so.

So, after proving to the world that a non car guy can turn around a giant automaker in record time, in the most challenging economic environment in .................. well................... forever..................... now, nothing he says in regards to Lincoln is true, and he has no ability to do anything with the brand, nor does he want to.

Huh??

Frankly, it is starting to get a bit ridiculous. How about we give Mulally a chance to prove his mettle with Lincoln?? How about we give him a little credit for his managerial abilities?? I realize that some here expect Lincoln to be fixed yesterday, and if not, then Mulally is a complete failure.................. but, most of us are a bit more realistic.

When Mulally said that the Ford brand would be fixed, in 2006 (when he said it, now when it would be fixed), most doubted him, and that was in a fantastic auto market. Yet, he did what nobody thought he could do, and in record time. I think he deserves everyones benefit of a doubt................ as a matter of fact, he has earned it.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Jesus, this thread was about Ford selling most of the remaining stock on Mazda. Does every thread have to be tainted with the bitching about Lincoln and Mercury?
hahahahahaha! You are rigth. I promise not talk about Mercury and Lincoln ...:yikes:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
It would appear so.

So, after proving to the world that a non car guy can turn around a giant automaker in record time, in the most challenging economic environment in .................. well................... forever..................... now, nothing he says in regards to Lincoln is true, and he has no ability to do anything with the brand, nor does he want to.

Huh??

Frankly, it is starting to get a bit ridiculous. How about we give Mulally a chance to prove his mettle with Lincoln?? How about we give him a little credit for his managerial abilities?? I realize that some here expect Lincoln to be fixed yesterday, and if not, then Mulally is a complete failure.................. but, most of us are a bit more realistic.

When Mulally said that the Ford brand would be fixed, in 2006 (when he said it, now when it would be fixed), most doubted him, and that was in a fantastic auto market. Yet, he did what nobody thought he could do, and in record time. I think he deserves everyones benefit of a doubt................ as a matter of fact, he has earned it.
+1 Thank you Extreme. I couldn't have said it better? But I could have said it much worse . . . for which again, I am grateful :)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
that is because its now "cool" to bitch and moan at Lincoln because Mercury got cut. It's funny all these years being a Mercury fan I got the biggest **** everyone used to tell me Mercury is dead its not worth it, then they kill it, so I move on to Lincoln and buy one... now everyone is flaming Lincoln and talking about how Ford should have saved Mercury instead... WHAT?!?!?

That is WAY different than stealing a guy from a rival Luxury car brand and re-creating a business segment that Lincoln has not had since the 70s maybe even later...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts