Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Revealed: Ford Police Interceptor Utility
Ford shows the second and final Police Interceptor for their lineup.
www.fordinsidenews.com
September 1, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

Today Ford Motor Company revealed its first-ever police interceptor utility vehicle. The new cruiser is obviously based on the all-new 2011 Explorer, but Ford promises that this is a “purpose-built” utility vehicle for police work.

The new interceptor follows the recently announced interceptor sedan that Ford revealed earlier this year, which is based off of the Taurus. The utility is based off of Ford D3 platform that underpins the Taurus.

Under the hood of the new pursuit vehicle is Ford’s familiar 3.5-liter V6. In this application the engine is rated at 280 horsepower and will be capable of consuming E85 ethanol. Mated to the engine is a six-speed automatic with lower initial gears and higher gearing for highway cruising. It will be available in both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive configurations.

Ford states that they consulted their own Police Advisory Board prior to building the new Police Interceptor utility. The board consists of law enforcement officials who serve the purpose of providing Ford feedback on what works best for their profession.

Both the Police Interceptor sedan and utility are designed to pass a 75-mph rear-end crash test. Currently only the Crown Victoria Interceptor is the only police vehicle to meet this test.

Also upping the safety ante is Ford’s new curve control technology. This system senses when the vehicle is taking a curve or turn too fast and can slow the vehicle down up to 10-mph to avoid an accident. The curve control system will be unique to the utility vehicle only.

In keeping with Ford’s trend of technology-laden vehicles, law enforcement officials will also enjoy Ford’s SYNC system, BLIS (Blind Spot Information System), Cross-traffic alert, a rear view camera, reverse sensing system and remappable steering wheel buttons.

Both the Police Interceptor sedan and utility will launch immediately following the end of production of the Crown Victoria next year. Both will be manufactured at Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I like how the Ford release was posted at GMI before FIN.
That is bound to happen a lot. The Ford section in GMI should be the blue print to this site growth.

If half of the guys there start posting here the future of FIN is assured.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am so looking forward to this vehicle. If Ford is smart, they will keep the price as close as possible to that of the PI sedan. Many agencies will likely step up to the Explorer over the Taurus for at least some of their fleet. This was a very smart move, making an SUV based on the Taurus. Maintenance, repair, and training costs will go down having two different vehicles that are mechanically identical. The only other pursuit rated SUV available is the overpriced, overweight, fuel inefficient Tahoe, which is RWD only.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is this really pursuit rated? I see in the PR they state that it is a "pursuit vehicle" but is that marketing guff or an actual qualification?

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Is this really pursuit rated? I see in the PR they state that it is a "pursuit vehicle" but is that marketing guff or an actual qualification?
Actual!

It does everything the Taurus PI can. Got over 7 inch crubs at 40mph, get hit in the rear at 70 mph, etc.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You know, if one didn't know better, they would think that there is a small faction, on this site, that is trying to incite trouble.

Hmmmm..................

Of course, I am sure I am incorrect. I am sure that the above comment was made with the upmost regard to thread integrity.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
You know Extreme I got the same vibe

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You know, if one didn't know better, they would think that there is a small faction, on this site, that is trying to incite trouble.

Hmmmm..................

Of course, I am sure I am incorrect. I am sure that the above comment was made with the upmost regard to thread integrity.
Very very small though.

Funny, because it was written just a few post below my post praising the Ford Discussion section at GMI, where I said that it should be the blue print for growth for FIN (see post #4)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts