1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review: 2011 Buick Regal CXL
Badge Engineering Is Alive And Well At The New GM
Autoblog

Haven't we seen this play called before? Take a well-regarded European model, tweak it for the U.S. market, slap on a badge from a beleaguered North American brand, and hope for a touchdown. Indeed, the Buick Regal conforms to what has become General Motors' version of the spread offense. Never mind that this wasn't a winning strategy for Saturn, which tried selling various derivatives of Opel models from The General's European operations before its demise – GM is back at it with the Regal.

Dredging up a name from the past is a curious move for a brand that wants to reinvent itself to appeal to a younger audience. (Even more curious is that the Regal moniker has dubious value, having been hung on all manner of mediocre and mostly badge-engineered cars over the past four decades.) Yet for all the skepticism inherent in the "new" GM going back to its old playbook, the Regal might actually be the car that makes this offense click.

Full text at the link

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Buick gets all the Euro models now that Saturn is gone.

This basic model looks like it will compete with the Fusion and Malibu 4 cylinder engines.

The turbo sems more impressive, and might have lead to a Milan with a 1.6 or 2.0 EB, if Mercury wasn't going away.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I like the styling of the Regal.. but its a sales flop, I still have not seen a single one on the road to this date. Also the engines are sub par which is un-fortunate

·
Registered
306 Posts
Government Motors is a mess.

Buick is a morass of concepts and shapes- the only thing consistent is bad taste and baleen whale grills. The only reason Buick lingers is because the Chinese dig Buicks. Chinese also dig eating cats and dogs.

The Regal would have been an awesome Saturn Aura because it fit in the new direction of Saturn. It would have been easier to hide the maladies of this product, based upon Government Motors NA's decisions to cheapen its power plant offerings. And the one thing that Government Motors can ill afford to do is to cheapen the product on re-launching this brand in the United States.

Ultimately the Regal was precisely the half-arsed effort I was expecting - give enough promise in the product and then inflict lethal misjudgments to save pennies on a product that is laughably trying to be peddled against Lexus and Acura models. Those consumers are complete snobs and can spot pretenders a mile away and unfortunately Government Motors stabbed the Regal in the heart. The engine had to deliver superb performance and all-wheel drive would have really given it some credibility.

Buick Regal. Same old name. Same old game.

·
Banned
204 Posts
I like the styling of the Regal.. but its a sales flop, I still have not seen a single one on the road to this date. Also the engines are sub par which is un-fortunate
way to early to declare that...I understand the Regal has gotten off to a slow start, but I don't think you can call the Regal a flop when it only has one trim and one engine available at the moment...the 2.0 T and different trim levels should increase sales, we shall see. Not saying the Regal won't flop, I just think its too early to judge.

Government Motors is a mess.

Buick is a morass of concepts and shapes- the only thing consistent is bad taste and baleen whale grills. The only reason Buick lingers is because the Chinese dig Buicks. Chinese also dig eating cats and dogs.

The Regal would have been an awesome Saturn Aura because it fit in the new direction of Saturn. It would have been easier to hide the maladies of this product, based upon Government Motors NA's decisions to cheapen its power plant offerings. And the one thing that Government Motors can ill afford to do is to cheapen the product on re-launching this brand in the United States.

Ultimately the Regal was precisely the half-arsed effort I was expecting - give enough promise in the product and then inflict lethal misjudgments to save pennies on a product that is laughably trying to be peddled against Lexus and Acura models. Those consumers are complete snobs and can spot pretenders a mile away and unfortunately Government Motors stabbed the Regal in the heart. The engine had to deliver superb performance and all-wheel drive would have really given it some credibility.

Buick Regal. Same old name. Same old game.
hahha Hmmm you sure you aren't describing Lincoln? Baleen whale grilles are their speciality...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts