Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

"...a simply magical V-8 that brings the caviar thrills of 8250-rpm performance to a beer-and-burgers demographic. If you could summon some sort of...magic to combine the best parts of the other seven cars in this test—the Bentley's on-road poise, the Cadillac's vivacious chassis, the Merc's bluff-nosed retro charm, the Cayman's accessible limits, the Ferrari's auditory drama, the Corvette's wide-hipped machismo, and the Viper's sense of purpose—then what would appear in the swirling mists would be, not Cthulhu the Great Old One, but Shelby the Baddest Mustang. Our winner by a runaway vote, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R is, quite deservedly, the Road & Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year."

Dean Smith, Matt Tierney & Andrew Trahan | Road & Track | Nov.9,2015

and much Much MORE...

- - - - - - -

Yep, the GT-350R got invited. It made a more-than-decent showing in a field with a Viper, a Ferrari, and and others....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27194/road-track-2016-performance-car-of-the-year/

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Thanks Zana.
There are so many great quotes from that article. One of my favorites,

"So I open the throttle, following Webster in his beloved Ferrari up a series of sharp hillside hairpins that seem designed to test second-gear acceleration and broken-asphalt traction at the same time, and the moment the tach hits about five grand, I hear The Sound. I firmly believe that when human civilization finally collapses and our descendants are nothing but hipster-bearded cavemen on a quest for fire, stories of The Sound will still be told every night, to frighten children and preserve all that is worth preserving of Western civilization. From generation to generation. "What an engine! What a noise!" says Chilton, in much the same way that human beings will ten, twenty, fifty thousand years from now."

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
12.3 sec quarter time is decent. In the article they mentioned that even after a day of driving it, they still kept shifting about 2K below redline, out of sheer habit. I suggest that even faster times are possible, if they replace journalists with people who know how to drive that engine.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Congratulations Ford and the Mustang Team. This is a well deserved award, great job!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Where is the Camaro guy at FIN? Voice of Doom lost his voice when riding this article?

Mustang overcame Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Corvette, Bentley, Viper, Cadillac-V in a performance comparo. Is not small achievement.

:grin2:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The problem is...Camaro wasn't in this shootout...but the Caddy was.
No, the problem is this shows that ultimate performance numbers are just a piece of the puzzle. This test wasn't about which car wins at the track, if it were the Mustang doesn't win, this test was about which car put the biggest smile on the testers faces.

I don't feel this diminishes just how great a performance car the SS truly is, but only illuminates how much more their is to being a great car. The SS or Z28 just may end up being that car next year, but until then who cares?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think that is exactly the point some of us were trying to make to VoD when he claimed Chevy "wanted it more." The fact is, they took two very different approaches. GM focused on getting weight out of the platform, bumping power, and tightening up the handling. It turned out a great car.

Ford went the route of creating another level of Mustang. Bespoke front bodywork, including even having new fenders and hood, essentially new suspension, brakes, and a bespoke motor that sounds like everything a serious gearhead wants.

So, GM elevated the whole line, but slapped a big price increase on everyone. Ford elevated the brand, and only slapped the price penalty on the gear heads who will line up to buy the GT350 for years. And all that bespoke stuff makes the top-o-the-line Stang feel very special in a way that checking off SS on the order sheet for a Camaro doesn't.

Like I said, I think Ford picked the right path, here. The GT350s will be legend. Guys will nod approvingly when you pull up in one. It is special. Good job, Ford.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
I think that is exactly the point some of us were trying to make to VoD when he claimed Chevy "wanted it more." The fact is, they took two very different approaches. GM focused on getting weight out of the platform, bumping power, and tightening up the handling. It turned out a great car.

Ford went the route of creating another level of Mustang. Bespoke front bodywork, including even having new fenders and hood, essentially new suspension, brakes, and a bespoke motor that sounds like everything a serious gearhead wants.

So, GM elevated the whole line, but slapped a big price increase on everyone. Ford elevated the brand, and only slapped the price penalty on the gear heads who will line up to buy the GT350 for years. And all that bespoke stuff makes the top-o-the-line Stang feel very special in a way that checking off SS on the order sheet for a Camaro doesn't.

Like I said, I think Ford picked the right path, here. The GT350s will be legend. Guys will nod approvingly when you pull up in one. It is special. Good job, Ford.
That is so very well said, mooseman. Elevating the whole line and making everyone pay more, including the casual camaro driver who simply wants a capable V8 without the near-bespoke level pricing, is what GM has done. It's what I have been saying as well, that customers deserve a gradient of performance levels in this segment. Mustang is getting up there in price too, but at least it's many thousands less than a camaro V8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts