Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RUMORED: FORD TAURUS X TO BE CANCELLED AFTER 2009 MODEL YEAR

Jalopnik Auto Insider has dug through its rumor mill and consulted with the stars. The result, they are declaring that the Ford Taurus X will be cancelled after the 2009 Model Year. Whether this is of little concern or a sign of the appocalypse, this is still a sign that the impending Taurus for 2010 will be completely new and Ford is freeing up space in its buldging portfolio of CUVs for the Flex.

So here is the whole report courtesy of AutoBlog.com and Jalopnik.com.

Rumormill: Ford Taurus X cancelled after MY 2009
Posted Feb 19th 2008 3:54PM by John Neff
Filed under: Crossovers/CUVs, Ford

After a quick consult with some tea leaves and a few supplier sources, Jalopnik's Auto Insider is calling it: the Taurus X will be dead after the 2009 model year. While not a revelation to make you run out and stock up on bottled water, this possible early demise of the Taurus X is the latest example of how far off the mark the original Five-Hundred sedan and Freestyle were with consumers, and how Ford was ultimately unable to correct its aim.

The original 2005 Five-Hundred and Freestyle debuted to a slow sales start and were around until 2007, when then virgin CEO Alan Mulally made the decision to resurrect the Taurus nameplate on the refreshened 2008 models. Along with their new names of Taurus and Taurus X, each got corporate faces with three-bar grilles as well as the automaker's new 3.5L V6. Ford must've thought sales would pick up in earnest as the 2008 models were both more interesting to look and more powerful than the vehicles they replaced. But sales didn't pick up and Mulally recently announced another major change for the Taurus: a completely new version for next year that he calls, "the one we should have made originally." According to Jalopnik's informed insider, the Taurus X model is apparently not included in those plans.

It may be sad to see a vehicle cancelled that was supremely competent in most respects, but Ford's CUV lineup is already overflowing with product that overlaps, and soon the seven-passenger Flex will muscle in and demand some marketshare. Ford, of course, has not officially commented on the fate of the Taurus X, but if the tea leaves turn out to be true, we say farewell to the four-year-old CUV from Ford.
As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If Ford does cancel the Taurus X might I suggest they send it over to Mercury put a waterfall grille on it and a Sable front end and call it the Mercury Meta-One or Mercury Magellan. :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's such a shame that a good vehicle like this never caught on... I'm still finding it hard to figure out why. The price is right on, it looks better than any other wagon with 3 rows of seats and it has class leading build quality and power.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have a 2006 Freestyle. One of the best cars I have ever owned. And I have owned A LOT of cars. It does everything we ask of it and then some.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I orginally posted this on Autoblog but made a few revisions here:
FORD: Good job for getting rid of the Taurus (that even you made fun of) and Taurus X(Though it seemed like a nice car-It never did catch on). Now step two: Retool the plants to make the Mondeo (FWD) and the Falcon (RWD- As a Crown-Vic replacement). Bring over the Territory (extensive redesign akin to that of the Falcon first) to replace the Taurus X Nee Freestyle. If Mulally thinks its that good then why deprive us of your wonderful products? The Crown-Vic is waaaaaaaaaay overdue for a replacement and the Taurus is just shameful. Scrap them both. People who think the Mondeo isn't big enough can get the Falcon, and people who think the Falcon isn't big enough can buy a Flex or go loose some weight(-sorry that was mean). Scrap the Fusion aswell, it's been out long enough and it's not that great looking when you take away the grille and lights. Or just keep it and let it compete with the Mondeo. Three words: Mondeo, Falcon, Territory. C'mon, don't be afraid, you can do it! "Mondeo. Falcon. Territory!" "Mondeo! Falcon! Territory!". Oh yeah, and they should bring over the V8 Supercar tour to America aswell, it'd be good publicity. You could ship over the Falcon Ute if you wanted too. No? Okay, I tried. Wait- I have a REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! Make a "Falcon concept" (Basically you have the outside of a Falcon XR6/8 with Concept head and tail lamps, you do a "concept" interior (LHD), and concept wheels. Get public reaction- it'll sell!! If it doesn't then you can't say you didn't try. Then maybe try the same for the mondeo (I'm thinking the IOSIS, it's already done c'mon!).
Seriously, get some common sense Ford. I'll stick with GM for the time being as they seem to know what they're doing.
Also forgot to mention: Merge the Territory with the Explorer for the next Gen.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The fate of the X has already be made when the new Flex enters the X is gone but I wonder why dont Ford send the X to mercury as this

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I orginally posted this on Autoblog but made a few revisions here:
FORD: Good job for getting rid of the Taurus (that even you made fun of) and Taurus X(Though it seemed like a nice car-It never did catch on). Now step two: Retool the plants to make the Mondeo (FWD) and the Falcon (RWD- As a Crown-Vic replacement). Bring over the Territory (extensive redesign akin to that of the Falcon first) to replace the Taurus X Nee Freestyle. If Mulally thinks its that good then why deprive us of your wonderful products? The Crown-Vic is waaaaaaaaaay overdue for a replacement and the Taurus is just shameful. Scrap them both. People who think the Mondeo isn't big enough can get the Falcon, and people who think the Falcon isn't big enough can buy a Flex or go loose some weight(-sorry that was mean). Scrap the Fusion aswell, it's been out long enough and it's not that great looking when you take away the grille and lights. Or just keep it and let it compete with the Mondeo. Three words: Mondeo, Falcon, Territory. C'mon, don't be afraid, you can do it! "Mondeo. Falcon. Territory!" "Mondeo! Falcon! Territory!". Oh yeah, and they should bring over the V8 Supercar tour to America aswell, it'd be good publicity. You could ship over the Falcon Ute if you wanted too. No? Okay, I tried. Wait- I have a REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! Make a "Falcon concept" (Basically you have the outside of a Falcon XR6/8 with Concept head and tail lamps, you do a "concept" interior (LHD), and concept wheels. Get public reaction- it'll sell!! If it doesn't then you can't say you didn't try. Then maybe try the same for the mondeo (I'm thinking the IOSIS, it's already done c'mon!).
Seriously, get some common sense Ford. I'll stick with GM for the time being as they seem to know what they're doing.
Also forgot to mention: Merge the Territory with the Explorer for the next Gen.

The Taurus is not going away and it is certainly not shameful. It is a solid family sedan value that remains the best value out there. It was scheduled for a 2010 makover years ago - NOTHING MORE. Ford has not said they are doing away with the X either. Don't believe every rumour you hear.

And if you are happier with Chevrolet, then enjoy.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts