Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From AutoBlog
It's been years since Lincoln had a credible performance option, but if recent rumblings are true, the situation could be rectified soon.

Nearly every luxury automaker has some kind of branded performance line, be it BMW's M, Mercedes' AMG, Lexus' F or Audi's S and RS models. To compete in that rarified air, Lincoln needs to join the fold. But what form could it take?

With Lincoln buyers snatching up all-wheel-drive models in droves and turbocharged EcoBoost engines beginning to proliferate throughout the line-up, these two technologies could be leveraged to give Lincoln a much-needed injection of excitement. Crank the boost on the turbocharged MKS – something to the tune of the 365-hp engine found in the Taurus SHO – fit a rear-bias AWD system and Lincoln could have a serious sports sedan offering on its hands. Do the same to the MKZ fitted with the EcoBoost 2.0-liter four-cylinder and maybe a revamped dual-clutch gearbox, and Lincoln's off to the races with a fun and fuel-efficient four-door.
Full Text http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/02/lincoln-considering-a-performance-line/

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
oK, PERFORMANCE LINE OF WHAT CAR?? The Mk S??? The Mk Z??? or Navigator?? or the MKT???.. i think Lincoln must give us a decent sedan and coupe, before stablish a performance line ...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
oK, PERFORMANCE LINE OF WHAT CAR?? The Mk S??? The Mk Z??? or Navigator?? or the MKT???.. i think Lincoln must give us a decent sedan and coupe, before stablish a performance line ...
I have to agree with this . . . not that the current line is not decent, but is is hardly the basis for a separate brand, let alone a peformance line

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps on the new vehicles that are coming like the MKC. Imagine a compact Lincoln with the Focus RS powertrain.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I suggested a perfomance line for Lincoln on one of the boards here a month or so ago.
It would make sense if done right.
Giving the MKS 10 more HP, to be even with the Taurus SHO, is not going to cut the mustard though.

The weight disadvantage of AWD is hurting the MPG numbers for Ecoboost (Can no longer claim power of V8 and MPG of V6), so let's see if we could give the performance line a decided advantage, by marketing it for power instead. A 400hp version in the MKS and MKX selling a hundred or so a month would be excellent for marketing.

That would help out until we get a real flagship sedan and coupe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
my "issue" would be will the ST/SHO be "NUTERED" so the LINCOLNS beat them or are they going to be content to let ford be "faster" and Lincoln more "touring-LUX"

·
Registered
997 Posts
LSC anyone? That was a popular performance line for the Mark 7 & 8. If you look at it perhaps the only performance line in the history unless I missed something. Taurus brings back SHO so it only seems fitting that Lincoln returns the LSC.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LSC anyone? That was a popular performance line for the Mark 7 & 8. If you look at it perhaps the only performance line in the history unless I missed something. Taurus brings back SHO so it only seems fitting that Lincoln returns the LSC.
C is for coupe in LSC though, I am not sure how that would work

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lincoln NEEDS a line of RWD performance vehicles. If Ford is bent on continuing to use the silly alpha names, then how about a midsized 5-passenger coupe (LSC) and similar sedan (LSS) and a 4-passenger convertible (LST)? The LS designation would indicate Lincoln Sport as in Lincoln Sport Coupe, Sedan, and Topless.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Lincoln NEEDS a line of RWD performance vehicles. If Ford is bent on continuing to use the silly alpha names, then how about a midsized 5-passenger coupe (LSC) and similar sedan (LSS) and a 4-passenger convertible (LST)? The LS designation would indicate Lincoln Sport as in Lincoln Sport Coupe, Sedan, and Topless.
Topless???....Are you kidding us, of course...

I think this is something serious. Lincoln needs a performance vehicles, but first needs a good line of cars and crossover...

·
Registered
997 Posts
But you have to be careful if using the LS name with other letters such as LSS, LSC, LST etc. Then you have the same mess as with the MK naming and we all will be back here complaining about it. LSC could be Lincoln Sports Car or Lincoln Sport Craft. 1 name only please for the performance models. The performance models could be marketed as a different series so you don't get the LS this and that confusion.

The LS name does mean something to Lincoln as the car that could have brought Lincoln higher if only updates were done when they were needed. The LS started life with all the potential but fizzed out due to neglect because at the time PAG got all the $$ and attention. The LSC Line could market performance in all the models by dropping the MK part by not adding letters on top of letters. For example, MKZ LSC is even more confusing because you need to first remember which MK you have then which LSC. Lincoln Z LSC or Lincoln S LSC sounds better but of course other suggestions are welcome here. LSC Line: S, T, X, Z, C and drop MK being that is part of the regular lineup. Another name could be the "Enhanced Engine Performance" or "Enhanced Performance Tuned". Anyone?

Ads could feature the 3/4 rear of the vehicles as a blur (with blur streak of red taillight in the travel line) of course because that's what the driver of the other vehicles will be seeing when they get passed by the Lincoln...the ad would draw attention to the driver of the V-Series saying "WOW! What?" Another ad features the front-end of the Lincoln (Performance model modified to be different from the regular MK's front end) right in the middle rear view mirror of the car (BMW perhaps for this ad) it's about to pass....(headline at the top>>"I've been waiting for You....."

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
from a couple posts elsewhere ( 1 -- 2 )
"...
a stretched AWD MKS with a 400hp 3.5EB or
a stretched AWD MKS with a 400hp 5.0v8 (LINK) OR
a slightly larger MKZ (AWD) with the 400hp 3.5EB or
a slightly larger MKZ (AWD) with a (upto) 350hp 2.7EB OR
an AWD Focus-based MKE with the (upto) 350hp 2.7EB OR
that RWD Lincoln Zodiac you 'saw' with one of the above engines or
a RWD Lincoln Zodiac with a 600hp 5.0EB OR
a RWD Lincoln Continental with any of the above engines
?"

imho Fomoco has LOT to do with/for Lincoln still
but the above engines (with the exception of 'my' 2.7v6) are already IN Production in one form or another

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If they keep the silly MK_ names, they should at least give the performance line a proper name. Name it after a track, a racer/tuner, or just something that can easily be associated with ultimate performance.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only 2 Performance lines I can remember are LSC from the Mark Series and LSE from the LS series

Both begin with LS

instead of MKZ perhaps LSZ? MKZ-LS would sound funny

damn these alpha names

·
Registered
997 Posts
Not sure how InTec (previousely used on the V-8 Continental and Mark8).

H.O. sounds too general and basic not fitting in with the Lincoln level of performance. Whatever the name, I would assume Lincoln will be involved in some kind of racing program to back it up. How about a naming contest......?

Back in the '40's-'50's, Lincoln used a Coat of Arms emblem. Perhaps this could be used for the perfomance line instead of the Star??

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

H.O. sounds too general and basic not fitting in with the Lincoln level of performance. Whatever the name, I would assume Lincoln will be involved in some kind of racing program to back it up. How about a naming contest......?

Back in the '40's-'50's, Lincoln used a Coat of Arms emblem. Perhaps this could be used for the perfomance line instead of the Star??
How about the greyhound?

·
Registered
997 Posts
That could work as well. Promots swiftness, grace and stamina. 3 powerful items in a high performance vehicle.

This was used during the 20's and 30's when you could say Packard, Cadillac, Lincoln and Rolls Royce in the same sentance. Perhaps this mascot should be reserved for someday if ever Lincoln competes in the upper upper segment with Rolls Royce again.(after the core models are fixed first and sales soar and the brand is recognized as true player in the field)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

a naming thread sounds like fun, TurboS40

&
I like the idea of the coat of arms logo - is this the one you meant?

Barry Wolk's ^ Continental MkII
(hope you don't mind my rehosting your photo, Barry, couldn't find your post)
re-interpretations:

click ^either^ for bigger

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Though I like the greyhound, too many people would be making smart comments about the bus company..I could just see Motor Trend's article now!

The shield would not be a good idea, as people would believe they were trying to copy Caddy's idea!

I was thinking since Mercury is gone, in homage to the brand they could call the performance line Quicksilver...as the element mercuy was once called.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts