Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S550 SVT Mustang GT350 Engine Confirmed (5.2L NA V8)?

The “Voodoo” engine of the next SVT / Shelby Mustang GT350 has long been rumored to be a 5.2L naturally aspirated V8 engine. A big discovery on Ford’s official parts website may have just confirmed it — along with many other interesting tidbits we reported earlier.

Digging through parts available for the 2015 Mustang, Mustang6G members spotted items related to different quarter panels and brakes equipment that have been marked for: “MOD 5.2L-TiVCT PFI NA HP1 GAS, With SVT Performance Pack.”

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=2516

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Flat plane cranks tend to have a very different, almost four cylinder sound to them, go listen to Ferrari V8 videos on Youtube. The GT-350 mules that have been caught on video still have a very V8 sound. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Flat plane cranks tend to have a very different, almost four cylinder sound to them, go listen to Ferrari V8 videos on Youtube. The GT-350 mules that have been caught on video still have a very V8 sound. Interesting.
Not all of them sound like four cylinders. I am on mobile or else I'd give you some links, but YouTube some Audi flat plane crank V8s and it's strangely similar to the SVT we've been hearing.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Not all of them sound like four cylinders. I am on mobile or else I'd give you some links, but YouTube some Audi flat plane crank V8s and it's strangely similar to the SVT we've been hearing.
I know what you mean, the Lotus Esprit V8 for example somehow still sounds like a V8, and multiple sources mention that its 3.5 liter turbocharged V8 has a flat-plane crank.

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
510 Posts
Ford Parts Website Leaks Mustang GT350 Details

New information that could pertain to the upcoming 2016 Mustang GT350 leaked online through Ford’s own parts website.

Originally spotted by members of enthusiast forum Mustang6G, the captured images are pulled from a page listing replacement brake master cylinders. Juicy details like horsepower and torque are absent, but the page indicates that the GT350, if that is indeed what the engine is meant for, will use a naturally aspirated 5.2-liter V8. The engine is rumored to be internally codenamed “Voodoo” and is also said to use a flat-plane crankshaft, although none of that was confirmed in the posting either.

Ford will begin delivering the sixth-generation Mustang later this year in time for the 2015 model year, but at that point the 5.0-liter GT version will be the highest-performing model. In that guise, the car will make 435 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed manual transmission.
For more information about this story, Ford Parts Website Leaks Mustang GT350 details please visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking at the abbreviations, it has PFI (Port fuel injection) for the 5.2, similar to the 3.7. While the 5.0 had DI (Direct Injection) similar to the 2.3.

So I guess their is something else with this information. No way would a pfi 5.2 be that much more powerful than a 5.0 with direct injection. Note that both have NA (natural aspirated).

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Looking at the abbreviations, it has PFI (Port fuel injection) for the 5.2, similar to the 3.7. While the 5.0 had DI (Direct Injection) similar to the 2.3.

So I guess their is something else with this information. No way would a pfi 5.2 be that much more powerful than a 5.0 with direct injection. Note that both have NA (natural aspirated).
5.0L never had DI, only PFI.
DI by itself is more of a problem than a benefit. Different story with GTDI altogether.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts