Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^

:joyous:

or....
swiped from Mustang6g

& for a bit of heresy
bringing back an old idea,
wondering if it'd be possible to have 2 modular front-end structures?
one = smaller/lighter for 4cylEB & n/a 2.7v6
other = bigger/stronger for turbo-6(s) and a v8
?
with more models built off the architecture (speculation), think it might be feasible...for ROI/volume too

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Copying this from a post i did on another thread.What are the expectations for the next Stang? Any chance of aluminum being used or more composites? We know the Mustang is getting the 10-speed before the next gen so likely no changes their. What about the dimensions of the car, will they change? The new Camaro is the same exact length, but will nearly 3 more inches in the wheelbase, it's also around an inch short and and inch narrower. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see some changes under the hood. Maybe go the same route as the Camaro and have the 4cyl as base (310hp) a V6 is mid level, but maybe like the 3.5 Ecoboost with close to 400hp, and a revised Coyote with DI and using some bits off the Voodoo(heads, cams,intake all fit) pushing around 475-500hp. I do expect most of the suspension goodies including the fancy shocks to trickle down to the GT as well as the brakes. Looks wise I think they will just need to be an evolution as the current S550 is gorgeous. Just spit balling here though.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
What are the expectations for the next Stang?
Here's mine:

Drop between 150-200 lbs, the more the better.

And yeah, that's it, nothing wrong with the current 'Stang that a little less weight and a little more power (coming this gen IMO) couldn't fix.

Regarding S650 itself, I like pretty much every other human being on this planet hope it's more more flexible allowing for specifically a small Lincoln sports sedan/coupe/convertible and possibly the return of the Falcon, though not just for those damned Aussies!

I really think that flexibility is pretty much a design requirement in order to justify the continued existence of a Mustang platform. They need to have more vehicles on the platform to help amortize the development expense which in turn will allow them to be little more generous with their budget resulting in better vehicles all around. Of course they need to be able to do so without driving the price of a Mustang out of Pony car territory like Chevy did with the Camaro.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I know most of us have been more than a little shocked not to see an S550 based Lincoln, even if only in coupe/convertible form. I now believe they felt there were too many limitations with S550 for what they wanted to do on a Lincoln version so they focused their attention on S650. I believe a more flexible S650 is being developed with Lincoln as an equal with the Mustang and it is with this in mind that S550's life span has been shortened.

I think taking two years off of S550's life was because they want to get the Lincoln on the road sooner and they can't run an S550 based Mustang down the same production line as an S650 based Lincoln.

Maybe I'm just dreaming here, but the math works in my head!

:)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Drop between 150-200 lbs, the more the better.
I hope to see the S650 lose some weight as well, but 150-200 lbs is a lot, not sure how they would do it. Even if they went to an all aluminum body I doubt hey could drop that much. I mean the GT350R is 160 lbs lighter and thats with no backseat, radio, or air conditioning. Plus carbon fiber wheels.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I hope to see the S650 lose some weight as well, but 150-200 lbs is a lot, not sure how they would do it. Even if they went to an all aluminum body I doubt hey could drop that much. I mean the GT350R is 160 lbs lighter and thats with no backseat, radio, or air conditioning. Plus carbon fiber wheels.
Odd, the Camaro is the same basic size and base 4cyl to base 4cyl you're looking at about 200lbs difference. Not saying the need to get all the way there, but there is clearly room for movement.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Base GT is 35lbs heavier than all new base SS. Very competitive.

Relative to the immense cost (to customer) of reducing weight, bumping power is free and will help to make an few extra lbs feel non existent. Adding 10 speed will help immensely as well.

Mustang is a success because of the value option. I hope Ford is careful with their strategy here. Upgrade options works pretty good, and I hope they continue that path.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think we are finally seeing fruits of the Mark Shields era. The product development light has been turned on at Dearborn. Lincoln (and Ford) must offer more variety in the marketplace and they can only do it with modular platforms. I can't wait to see what's down the pike.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
^

:joyous:

or....
swiped from Mustang6g

& for a bit of heresy
bringing back an old idea,
wondering if it'd be possible to have 2 modular front-end structures?
one = smaller/lighter for 4cylEB & n/a 2.7v6
other = bigger/stronger for turbo-6(s) and a v8
?
with more models built off the architecture (speculation), think it might be feasible...for ROI/volume too
Just make a strong structure period. :D

That rendering above looks like a Corvette-ized Mustang.

Let me revive this old chop of mine.
Making the Mustang more compact by trimming the overhangs (mostly at the rear) to bring it close to the 1967 Mustang's length of 183.6 inches while keeping the same passenger area dimensions as the current model (it's still a 4 seater).

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
My expectations for the next Mustang are the same as I hope to find in the MCE:

More power for the 4 and 8 cylinder engines, maybe a bump with a touch of refinement for the V6.

Some chassis/steering upgrades, as the current setup is one of the only universal issues I've read about with the current car.

Some weight relief, though I expect evolving safety regs to continue to slap pounds onto every vehicle.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, at least one chassis-mate, something to both spread out the R&D costs and to keep RWD a priority for the company in general. I think that a single model will always suffer more bean-counter-caused compromises than a platform that has to satisfy a few needs.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Odd, the Camaro is the same basic size and base 4cyl to base 4cyl you're looking at about 200lbs difference. Not saying the need to get all the way there, but there is clearly room for movement.
The New Camaro & ATS's GM Alpha platform is completely unrelated to the old Holden GM Zeta platform. They didn't make a Version 2.0 Zeta, they started with a clean slate. The all-new platform had the concept of light-weighting at its core.

The S550's platform although "all-new" is more of an evolution of the S197's platform. Same wheelbase, similar hard-points etc. The biggest changes have more to do with how to fit an IRS and improving safety.
Perhaps the S650 will have a further evolved (light-weight) platform.

More power can compensate for added weight, but less weight can improve a vehicles agility.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My expectations for the next Mustang are the same as I hope to find in the MCE:

More power for the 4 and 8 cylinder engines, maybe a bump with a touch of refinement for the V6.

Some chassis/steering upgrades, as the current setup is one of the only universal issues I've read about with the current car.

Some weight relief, though I expect evolving safety regs to continue to slap pounds onto every vehicle.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, at least one chassis-mate, something to both spread out the R&D costs and to keep RWD a priority for the company in general. I think that a single model will always suffer more bean-counter-caused compromises than one that has to be impress more than one audience.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think we are finally seeing fruits of the Mark Shields era. The product development light has been turned on at Dearborn. Lincoln (and Ford) must offer more variety in the marketplace and they can only do it with modular platforms. I can't wait to see what's down the pike.
I'm probably the only person here who prefers the Mulally approach of fewer models.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts