Ford Inside News banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070221/AUTO02/702210379/1148 more at the link:D
What is Michigan's first gentleman, Daniel Granholm Mulhern, thinking?

As Detroit's automakers plummet through various stages of free-fall, as home values slide, foreclosures rise and the very fabric of the state is stressed to the breaking point, he uses his weekly e-mail blast on leadership -- "Reading for Leading" -- to extol the leadership of Toyota.

In fact, is he thinking at all?

"Because I am married to the great governor of Michigan, I have had the chance to be a fly on the wall (generally a quiet and unobtrusive one) during meetings with executives from Toyota," he wrote in an e-mail sent Monday with "The Way of Toyota, Great " in the subject line.

"These Toyota execs are like those I have gotten to know from Fortune magazine's '100 Best Companies to Work For,' in that they get totally fired up when they start talking about the culture in their companies. The Toyota folks and the great company folks know that 'culture beats strategy' every time. They have strategies to achieve results."

Yes, they do, witness the competitive tsunami pushing Big Detroit Auto to the brink of all it holds dear -- jobs, plants, profits, market share, its standard of living, survival -- because Detroit waited way too long to rouse itself from its self-satisfied torpor.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My opinion, companies in the US have been written off before. Only to come back with a vegance. Hech in 1990's the whole country had been written off and Japan was supposed to be the new super power. They even bought the Rockerfeller center.
Las I saw Boeing overtaken by Airbus.. and by 2004 everyone pudit was saying how down and out Boeing was, that it was now being sustained by its miritary contracts...
GM had also been written off just last year.. with its stock below $18.00 and Vultures swooping for the spoils. Today no one is talking of GM's death.
Now Ford's situation is grimm.. but.. do not count them out yet..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts