Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scoop: New Ford Galaxy is the S-MAX's Roomier and Squarer Sibling

Ford has more or less given on up on the idea of big minivans in the States, leaving the segment to Japanese brands like Toyota and Honda and even Korea's Kia, but that's not the case in Europe where it plans to launch the successors to the sportier S-MAX and the more utilitarian Galaxy.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/scoop-new-ford-galaxy-is-s-max-roomier.html

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
that doesn't look bad
(hmm... maybe I *am* into black poly-ethyl-urethane...)
but
that looks like the same old 112.2" wlb
& imho they need to do 115.2 + 118.2" wlbs anyway........
The S-MAX and Galaxy already shared the same 112.2" wheelbase/platform, so it looks like that will continue to be the case.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
2b2 said:
...that looks like the same old 112.2" wlb
& imho they need to do 115.2 + 118.2" wlbs anyway...
The S-MAX and Galaxy already shared the same 112.2" wheelbase/platform, so it looks like that will continue to be the case.
that was my point, Bloggin

I don't personally know the EuroMarket
so can't say a long wlb (not nec. longer length) would benefit the Galaxy
tho even in tiny old-city 'streets', I doubt 3" more length(-only) would interfere
but
for the RotW, I just don't see 2 vehicle with the exact same footprint but using completely different tophats AND interiors making any sense
so I want to see CD4+3 & CD4+6

(granted THIS camo-photo suggests sharing more with the S-Max might be happening - like front-to-B-pillar)

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
112.2"____________
S-Max, Edge, MKX

115.2"____________
Galaxy, Explorer/Interceptor, Aviator-Sport

118.2"____________
--- , Explorer/Interceptor-XL, Aviator, ¿Flex?

Then we have the c-segment platforms:

104.3" - Focus, C-MAX, Escape

109.8" - Grand C-MAX, ?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
B platfrom(s)
98.0"____________
EcoSport, B-Max

99.6"____________
EcoSport-China (afaik)

C platform(s)
104.3"____________
C-Max, (Focus)

105.9"____________
Escape, MKC

109.8"____________
- - - - (Grand C-Max)

CD4 / CD4+
109.2"____________
MKX-Sport

112.2"____________
S-Max, Edge, MKX

115.2"____________
Galaxy, XedgeL (China), Explorer/Interceptor, Aviator-Sport

118.2"____________
- - - - , Explorer/Interceptor-XL, Aviator, ¿Flex?

now to spam this in the L.X.C. thread

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
So the Galaxy will share more with the S-Max than before, at least in design and packaging.

It's a small minivan next to the popular competition in the US market, but won't be any cheaper (or more) I'm assuming. Seems like the minivan is quite dead to GM and Ford, unless the Chinese begin to want the American type minivan, ha.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
So the Galaxy will share more with the S-Max than before, at least in design and packaging.

It's a small minivan next to the popular competition in the US market, but won't be any cheaper (or more) I'm assuming. Seems like the minivan is quite dead to GM and Ford, unless the Chinese begin to want the American type minivan, ha.
They will share about the same. The 2007 S-Max and Galaxy shared everything B-pillar forward and the floor plan/interior. This will continue this.

What would end up being a good idea would be to let the next Galaxy become the Flex.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^^...the Flex offers a lower riding crossover alternative for a big high riding 7-passenger SUV with it's long 117" wheelbase. These are consumers that have already rejected anything that looked like a minivan. Which would include the shorter 112" wheelbase Galaxy, that in U.S. standards, it's really a 5+2, with the 3rd row seats for children. The Flex however offers full adult/teenager size seats in all 3 rows.

What I would like to see is the Flex move to the new lightweight/longer D4 platform to be used with new Taurus/MKS. Maintain it's retro-techno-cool boxy wagon style and with the massive space for batteries, and add an Energi version.

CA is driving Flex sales with it being the #1 Full Size SUV with 27.2% of the market and growing, followed at a distance by the Tahoe at 20% and Expedition at 17%, Yukon at 13.7% and Suburban at 8.5%. Nationwide the Flex is up 1.2%.

I think the Flex is a good formula, it' just needs to be light weighted/updated.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The S-Max and Galaxy have a very distinctive minivan design which I doubt will be popular in the US with that wedge shape and the large forward greenhouse. In a market that favors SUVs and Crossovers, van that scream out 'minivan' is probably a non-starter.

The Flex, even with favorable data in California, is still selling in microscopic numbers and fewer each year. It's very doubtful a new one is worth the non-trivial investment in a US-only vehicle. The Flex has its fans, but it arrived before the new Explorer existed based upon an existing platform that underpinned the FreeStyle and Taurus X, which was similarly unsuccessful but better selling than the Flex (and priced the same). The Next Taurus platform will be very different, much lower and more compact so a new Flex would either have to be heavily modified or based upon the taller-next gen Edge/Explorer...so it's increasingly likely new Flex would actually not resemble the current vehicle in anyway, or would require substantial platform investments to retain the taller wagon idea. I just don't think Ford will even have a platform for Flex going forward.

I have been told that Ford is not developing a new Flex but will be adding new 7-seaters (this is before Transit Connect Wagon was announced here), I take that to mean S-Max or Galaxy...but we'll see. It's REALLY easy to replace the Flex customer and it's not like the Flex is part of a major cultural change at the company, the Flex is very much a customer anomaly and since it's not likely funding it's own investment, I bet Ford can find much more efficient ways of retaining customers that eventually buy other Fords and not just a Flex.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts