Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ign-studio-engineering-moray-callum/27131883/

In the basement of Ford's Product Development Center in Dearborn, in a room formally used to store foam, the Ford GT super car grew from sketches to clay models to prototypes now being tested on the track in preparation for sale in the second half of 2016.

Ford allowed reporters into the secret lair Monday. Down dingy stairs and into long-forgotten hallways that saw little life before the project pulled together a few select executives, designers and engineers to build the automaker's most expensive car.

"We needed a small barricaded space, away from traffic," said Moray Callum, Ford's head of design.

The team was small and handpicked to include a mix of young talent with fresh ideas and seasoned employees with the experience needed to pull off a new GT in a record 14 months.

Only a handful of people had access to the GT design studio initially. The project grew to a core team of about 15 and only about 20 people had access, said Callum.

The small team faced a monumental task: develop the most modern and sophisticated car to bear the Ford nameplate - a car expected to cost as much as $400,000. Pricing has not been announced.

The car had to go from idea to show car in 14 months for a global debut in January at the 2015 North American International Auto Show.

"Very impressive timing, With a small team and upper management support, it shows what you can do," said Dave Sullivan, analyst with AutoPacific. "We have not seen anything like this from Detroit and it was all done in Michigan.

"And they did an excellent job of keeping it secret," Sullivan said. "It is impressive that a company can develop a global car in a room that small in a company that big. The auto industry usually can't keep secrets like that."

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Was this an all-Fields affair, or did Mulally green light it?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I am still amazed at how well they kept this under wraps same with the Continental. Ford is doing a great job on keeping secrets.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I am still amazed at how well they kept this under wraps same with the Continental. Ford is doing a great job on keeping secrets.
Ford just shouldn't give secrets to Neil Young.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
What other goodies could Ford (for Lincoln) be doing in secret that we don't know about? There has to be something(s) else to compliment the Continental Concept to round out the mix.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What other goodies could Ford (for Lincoln) be doing in secret that we don't know about? There has to be something(s) else to compliment the Continental Concept to round out the mix.
I would think & hope so.....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I can't take anymore" __ 3rd Eye Blind __ 'How's It Going To Be'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts