Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Secret Service seeking bids for new presidential limo
Detroit News

Washington— The Department of Homeland Security plans to award a contract for the design of the next-generation presidential limousine by late August, to be ready by the time the next president takes office in 2017.

According to a contract proposal posted last week by the U.S. Secret Service on the government’s contracting site, the administration plans to award the contract by Aug. 29, “based on best value to the government.”

The project is in four phases, the Secret Service said. “Phase 1, armor development, is currently underway. Phase 2 work will include integration of the armor design developed during Phase 1 of the program. Phase 2 requirements will include selection and integration of final automotive components, chassis, interior, exterior, and test vehicle fabrication and automotive component testing. Phase 3 will be focused on automotive validation and Phase 4 production of vehicles,” said the proposal, which was reported earlier by Time magazine.

The contract proposal says bids are “restricted to Major domestic U.S Automobile Manufacturers, who have their primary headquarters located in the United States of America.”

General Motors Co. has built the Cadillac presidential limousine for more than 30 years. A spokeswoman for Ford Motor Co. — which had previously built presidential limousines for decades — didn’t immediately comment on whether the Dearborn automaker plans to make a bid for the project.

The newest presidential limousine, nicknamed “The Beast,” made its debut just before President Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration. It has shiny 16-spoke wheels and a distinctive Cadillac grille complete with the GM brand’s crest. The president on weekends for personal business typically travels around in an armored Chevrolet Suburban.

GM said last year it was proud to work on the car.

“There’s more security around the development of a presidential limo than any of our products,” GM vice president for design Ed Welburn said in a Detroit News interview in September. “It takes a number of years to develop the car. It’s a great project to work on. This particular one, more so than any of them in the past. In the past, they were retrofitting existing vehicles — with this, this is really from the ground up a new vehicle, and we really do it right.”

Read more.....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
couple/few things
-- to be ready by the time the next president takes office in 2017.
Doubt the Conti will be ready in time
-- The current Limo nickname "Beast", is in fact a 3500 truck body made to look like a car.
if that's still nec., imho a nextgen Navi would be better
-- ....Doubt even the Navi will be ready in time
2017 Would be Lincoln's 100th Birthday and it would truly be fitting. Ford could take a similar approach though and use the Super Duty Chassis and build a Continental body or MKS body to fit on it? After all there is no Cadillac sedan that "The Beast" is based off of in the current lineup.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Since this is a ground up vehicle, it's the perfect opportunity for Lincoln to build something that showcases its future. Something iconic and with automotive technology that can be transferred to production vehicles( not the bullet proofing). I hope that Ford consider on making this, I know GM will. That said, GM will probably take the contract.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ true, Andrew

sorta-rethinking...
*IF* they did NOT try to make it look like any current vehicle BUT used it as a CONCEPT for a coming RWD/V-Awd Continental -- kinda, "OK, Max(imum) show us what ya got"
AND
it didn't interfere with his work on production vehicles = maybe/yeah/ok
ESP if it forced the "Approvers" to give in on something Max's wants that They wouldn't otherwise

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
not sure if the Continental will be ready, not sure about the 2017 Navi either, maybe the MKS?? or the 2015 Navi?
Well, Jose, it would be a special one off those models technically don't have to be ready ;)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It would be nice if Ford would bid on behalf of Lincoln, but they won't. Unofrtunately, I doubt we'll ever see another Lincoln Presidential Limo.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
The gov't will continue to beef these things up, and the looks of these cars are just going to get worse. The current limo is something you can't buy in Cadillac showrooms. It does nothing for the brand. Reagan, Bush 41, and Clinton's armored limos were good enough and looked normal.

They might as well ditch the limo and buy a tank.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
This will NEVER happen at Lincoln, this is not GM where vanity projects are heavily funded from the top down.

I'm certain Lincoln has no interest in pursuing a government contract just so it can get it's badge on it, especially at this stage where it doesn't even develop its own cars let alone one-off military grade vehicles...it would be outstandingly stupid for Lincoln to pursue this.

I don't know about you, but the Beast is really ugly, I'm certain a Lincoln variant won't have the opportunity to show-off design or any other recognizable Lincoln.

These are not cars anymore, no need for carmakers to be involved with this.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Since the Fed saved GM, why would they consider any other carmaker?

·
Registered
717 Posts
This will NEVER happen at Lincoln, this is not GM where vanity projects are heavily funded from the top down.

I'm certain Lincoln has no interest in pursuing a government contract just so it can get it's badge on it, especially at this stage where it doesn't even develop its own cars let alone one-off military grade vehicles...it would be outstandingly stupid for Lincoln to pursue this.
Sorry but you are wrong. This isn't some project where FORD has to Pony up ALL the money and try to recoup money thru sales. This is the perfect chance to get the President BACK in a Lincoln. Besides it's not like they have to develop every single system and part used in this vehicle. The Feds will be right there side by side calling most of the shots anyways. Perfect chance for Lincoln.

I don't know about you, but the Beast is really ugly, I'm certain a Lincoln variant won't have the opportunity to show-off design or any other recognizable Lincoln.

These are not cars anymore, no need for carmakers to be involved with this.

It's not even about Style and showcasing a Design. It's about the President riding in a Lincoln again. If you can't understand that something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
All-Or-Nothing

We rarely if ever agree but when we agree we emphatically agree. As much as I applaud Cadillac's recent renaissance the idea of the POTUS riding in a Lincoln has a certain nostalgic connotation to me. It is time for Lincoln to once again return to the Presidential garage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GM was paid handsomely for that Caddy... 10 billion + , from the taxpayers, cuz they were incapable of running their company.. I will never get over that... They should force a payment plan on the GM corporation.. Why should the taxpayers have to flip the bill?

It should be a no contest.... Ford / Lincoln should unanimously get the opportunity (if they want it) to supply the next fleet. Chuck the tahoes, caddies.

Ford - Built without your tax dollars

1 - 20 of 23 Posts