·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Chevy Malibu Revealed With 4-Cylinder Power and 35-MPG
By Colum Wood
April 18 2011
AutoGuide

fter much buildup Chevy has finally revealed the new 2012 Malibu ahead of its debuts this week at the Shanghai and New York Auto Shows. Nearly three-inches wider and with a big new grille, the Malibu cuts an imposing look more along the likes of what we’re using to seeing from the full-size sedan segment. Boxy flared rear fenders show a design influence from the Camaro, as do square taillights.

The Camaro theme also continues inside with gauges inspired by the iconic sports car. But this is no retro machine with a high-tech color flip-screen built into the dash that is used for the new Chevy MyLink telematics system used to operate many of the car’s high-tech features.

The car’s added width results in improved room inside the vehicle says Chevy, plus there’s more rear legroom too. The added width also translates to improved handling. With a MacPherson strut front end and multi-link rear GM claims, “It has been engineered to be best-in-class and on par with more expensive sports sedans.”

Full text at link

·
Registered
306 Posts
More of the same old tired look - the front end is getting old - the car looks like a bloated Aveo. Chunky and thick body, horrible interior with square bevels, round gauges, center stack borrowed from SRX, and that dreadful chocolate brown and grey look that was all the rage and is now old. The problem with the Malibore II is that we've seen all of this before. It is old looking - a product that would have been fresh in 2000 is now looking like a 1990 car being sold in 2012. It is as if Chevrolet designers have run out of imagination - instead of pushing design standards, they are going back to old style cars - this looks like a dowdy 1990 Malibu in many ways. I see nothing bold or athletic about it. It will be interesting to see if this product has any resolution of nearly zero rear seat room for passengers sitting behind 6 foot front seat occupants - if the egress from the backseat is improved and if you still experience the pill box experience looking out a narrow slit of windows when inside.

This is about as stale a product as you can offer and try to call it new. Reminds me of Kia and Hyundai a decade ago. Just doing enough to be mediocre and delivering less.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I must be one of the few that is not that impressed. I does not look nearly as good as I thought it would be...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Chevrolet seems unable to design a good looking rear end, for some reason that has been the Malibu's weaker point for the last 4 generations. This one is a very ambitious mess of lines and good intentions. The car doesn't look bad at all but like Falcon said it looks old, kind of "been there, done that", the interior is not that bad though, too bad that hasty steering wheel that they are putting on everything, from Sonic to Camaro . . . I guess that is Mr. Ackerman in action.

With its doesn't look to be much of a competition for the Sonata or the current Fusion . . . let alone the next one, if the rumors are true of course. ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not bad. Exterior styling is too arbitrary and subject to brand bias, I mean... personal taste, so I won't go there.

The trunk opening looks small, which was a problem on the previous gen. The width is bigger overall though, so maybe it's not that bad. I don't like the LCD screen below the vents. For navigation or infotainment purposes, you don't want to move your eyes more than you have to.

There is more much-needed hiproom and legroom in the back. Curious to see how exactly all the added interior space is distributed.

Anxious to see how the new 2.5L and new 2.0T reviews. 190hp and 180ft.lb are more than enough if they're in the right RPM band.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yah I agree I don't think it looks that good. Its looks like all other cars out on the market today in the sedan market. Acura TL Nissan Altima, and so forth.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Malibu just went back to the slogan: "The car you can and will ignore"....LOL It should be a close race to see who will win the award for most bland/uninspiring: '13 Camry or '13 Malibu. What is this world coming to when a Kia or Hyundai start looking better?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts