Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SHELBY GT350 MUSTANG: THE LEGEND RETURNS

- All-new Shelby® GT350 Mustang is a thoroughbred capable of tackling the world’s most challenging roads and racetracks

- GT350 is powered by a unique, high-revving flat-plane crankshaft 5.2-liter V8 engine that will produce more than 500 horsepower – the most powerful naturally aspirated Ford production engine ever

- Advanced materials, MagneRide dampers, aggressive brakes and finely tuned aerodynamics push the performance of Mustang to previously unmatched levels

One of the most iconic performance Mustang nameplates of all time is returning, Ford confirmed today with the reveal of the all-new Shelby® GT350 Mustang.

The original Shelby GT350 introduced in 1965 established Mustang’s performance credentials. The all-new Shelby GT350 Mustang, featuring the most powerful naturally aspirated Ford production engine ever, is a world-class performance vehicle, designed to tackle the planet’s most challenging roads – an all-day track car that’s also street legal.

The new GT350 builds on Carroll Shelby’s original idea – transforming a great every-day car into a dominant road racer – by taking advantage of a dramatically improved sixth-generation Mustang to create a truly special driving experience. Driving enthusiasts behind the wheel of a Shelby GT350 can expect to be treated to the most balanced, nimble and exhilarating production Mustang yet.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../shelby-gt350-mustang-the-legend-returns.html

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Re: Shelby gt350 mustang: The legend returns

I need some alone time to gather myself.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

Honestly, though, there is still a whole lot unknown. But I like to have some confirmation of some things.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Should be an excellent track car. Better track times than the GT500 should be expected.
Could use some more side graphics:D

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Any chance for a convertible?

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

Over 500hp? No duh. Much more. I have to say, I am a huge fan of high revving small bore V8 engines. My 340 SB mopar revs to over 7K, and it’s music to my ears and I can never get enough. This heavily updated 5.2L must sound glorious at 8400. I don’t even care if Ford does not bother with a Hellcat competitor. Been there, done that, got lots of T-shirts. Besides, somebody has to slow down this HP race. This Shelby is impressive in other ways. Much better ways than an over-abundance of power that nobody can fully use. No, this Mustang is unique and freaking awesome. Let chevy and mopar think of their own unique paths, because Ford is blazing their own, yet again.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
So the rumor of the 5.2 and the flat-plane crankshaft is true. VERY interesting! Can't wait to see more specs!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Best part of this car? Ford is just doing THEIR thing. Love it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My main curiosity...OK, other than the performance specs...is whether it's still usable as a car, or if Ford really made a track-day (only) special. I kinda hope for the former, because only taking out a car that gorgeous for special occasions would be painful.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
My main curiosity...OK, other than the performance specs...is whether it's still usable as a car, or if Ford really made a track-day (only) special. I kinda hope for the former, because only taking out a car that gorgeous for special occasions would be painful.
On the website, it says it'll have 5 different suspension modes, so I'd imagine at least ONE is pretty street-able.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
^
Also,

"Drivers interested in comfort, convenience and entertainment upgrades may select the Tech Pack, which includes power, leather-trimmed seats; Shaker Audio; 8-inch MyFord Touch® LCD touch screen; and dual zone electronic temperature control, to name a few features. "

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Actually I misread. On Ford's website, they basically say you have 5 different suspension modes that essentially change how it handles. But seeing as the magnetic shocks can be adjusted by these 'modes' as well, I'm assuming there will be a "comfort" setting.

"The advanced technology inherent to Mustang has been deployed for duty in the Shelby GT350. An all-new integrated driver control system allows selection of five unique modes that tailor ABS, stability control, traction control, steering effort, throttle mapping, MagneRide tuning and exhaust settings, depending on driver preference, to achieve maximum performance. Drivers are invited to test them all." source

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
From wiki:
MagneRide is an automotive suspension system developed by the Delphi Automotive corporation and now owned by Beijing West Industries that utilizes magnetically controlled dampers, or shock absorbers, for a highly adaptive ride. As opposed to traditional suspension systems, MagneRide has no mechanical valves or small moving parts that can wear out. This system consists of four monotube dampers, one on each corner of the vehicle, a sensor set, and an ECU (electronic control unit) to maintain the system.

Although Lincoln has been using their own variable dampening shocks, Ford chose wisely for an extreme performance car like this requiring much quicker dampening.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Looks great! Interesting that Ford is using the GM developed MagnaRide on a Mustang. I know Delphi is independent of GM now but that tech was developed while under GM ownership for the Caddy and Vette. Not saying I have a problem with its use, just that technology sharing between the two companies has been rare, especially amongst their performance nameplates!!

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Looks great! Interesting that Ford is using the GM developed MagnaRide on a Mustang. I know Delphi is independent of GM now but that tech was developed while under GM ownership for the Caddy and Vette. Not saying I have a problem with its use, just that technology sharing between the two companies has been rare, especially amongst their performance nameplates!!
GM and Ford currently share 6 speed transmissions that were co-developed and on millions of vehicles, and are developing 9 and 10 speed transmissions together. So sharing suspension technology actually makes sense. It's all in how they individually tune the components that makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy. Hearing things perhaps? Looking into things too much? But do I get a hint of GT500 TEASER in the GT350 release video?

At 1:20, I swear to god I hear a turbo blowoff valve.

http://youtu.be/yC6tKvEy6t0?t=1m20s

1 - 20 of 35 Posts