Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's for sale again?
by SobeSVT

Mark Fields head of Ford of the Americas and Lewis Booth Head of Ford of Europe and the Premier Automotive Group are in one those "too often in Ford" battle of epic proportions, one which outcome will define what will be the Ford Motor Company of the Future. This time however they have in Allan Mulally, a seasoned referee, one with a lot less emotional involvement in the outcome than Bill Ford Jr. and one that will end up being also the judge that will make the final decision, hopefully before any blood reaches the river.

Allan Mulally, Mark Fields and Lewis Booth at the wheel of the Iosis concept

Fields has lost all confidence in Jaguar and Land Rover, and wants to sell them in order to raise much needed cash to finance the future the company. Booth, being the current guardian of the crown jewels, wants to keep them and is convinced that with the right management, these brands will provide fresh cash and a great deal of pride which seems also in short supply at Ford these days. Mullaly has ordered a full evaluation of Jaguar and Land Rover because he and only he will make the final decision of whether the British brands stay or go.

Now, this cold possibly be the worst moment to get rid of Jaguar and Land Rover. The hand over of Chrysler to Cerberus by Daimler created a horrible climate for Ford to achieve a good price or a price at all for Jaguar. Why would anyone pay a cent to Ford for Jaguar when Daimler in essence had to pay Cerberus to take the much bigger Chrysler out of their hands? This is why Land Rover gets thrown into the mix. Basically Land Rover with its brand new Freelander/LR2, its smashing hit Range Rover Sport and the ever popular Range Rover is being used as bait to attract prospective buyers. But would it be enough? England is far from nirvana when it comes to car making, its strong currency and decrepit plants make such activity a very expensive proposition. On the other hand Ford has invested a real fortune in these brands and now that the eggs are about to hatch in Jaguar where there are also a a very good looking chick also known as the XK and XKR, Ford understandably is not too happy to see it all go for peanuts just to avoid loosing money thus acknowledging that they can't run these companies successfully. The question that Mulally most answer is, can they afford to keep Jaguar?, and if so for how long?

2007 Jaguar XK

For now the review is well advanced and the day that Mulally will make his final decision is growing near at a very fast pace. In the meantime the company is under enormous pressure from the media printing and reprinting all sorts of speculations and leaks from one particular camp in the dispute. The final resolution of this conflict is, or will be made, in Mulally's head and anywhere else. We sincerely hope the cat stays in the house.

As in the most prestigious analysts reports, sources for this little note shall remain unnamed.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
384 Posts
Let's see...we have the person who signed off on the '08 Focus, telling Mulally that he should sell off Jaguar and Land Rover...

Yes, of course...someone should tell him to get along, frankly.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's see...we have the person who signed off on the '08 Focus, telling Mulally that he should sell off Jaguar and Land Rover...

that is a very interesting point of view. But I wouldn't dismiss Fields record only because the 08 Focus, which BTW isn't half as bad as the media had wanted us to believe. Fields can also take credit for the entire Mazda line and the Flex. Booth also has a very impressive record and just to name a few, he could claim credit for the euro Focus and the new Mondeo.

Ford has a extremely talented team these days and it would be sad beyond word if they end up with the stigma of having lost Jaguar and Land Rover.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
At issue is the Metal Jaguar can move. to increase profitability, Jaguar could let some of it investment trickle down to Ford Crown Victoria, Ausie Fords, Mustang's Lincolns and the like.
A Jaguar Based lincoln would fetch better prices and command better prices than Cadillac.
Cost Vs. Sales is simple as it gets.
If you cannot sell enough to justify your existance, too bad. Exlusive Jaguar Plartforms will kill it.
The same can be said for Land Rover. Why can't a Volvo XC be built on the same frame as a LR3?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

I tend to agree with your comment MaxLegroom.

Not to get too off topic, but maybe someone here can confirm if this is valid or not, that Phil Martens (was group vice president, Product Creation, North America) cycle plan had included the C1 Focus in North America by 2008, but when Fields arrived at FoA as president of the Americas, this plan was nixed, as well Phil Martens moved on and was replaced with Derrick Kuzak.
Hence the decision to offer the redesigned 2008 C170 Focus.

"Why can't a Volvo XC be built on the same frame as a LR3"

None of Volvo's XC variants are built on LR platforms.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tend to agree with your comment MaxLegroom.

Not to get too off topic, but maybe someone here can confirm if this is valid or not, that Phil Martens (was group vice president, Product Creation, North America) cycle plan had included the C1 Focus in North America by 2008, but when Fields arrived at FoA as president of the Americas, this plan was nixed, as well Phil Martens moved on and was replaced with Derrick Kuzak.
Hence the decision to offer the redesigned 2008 C170 Focus.

"Why can a Volvo XC be built on the same frame as a LR3"

None of Volvo's XC variants are built on LR platforms.
There is some truth to that but not completely. We can't blame Mark Fields for not having the Focus C1 in the US. The one that axed the C1 plan for the US as soon as 2006, was Sir Nick Scheele former President and COO as part of a power struggle with David Thursfield, which eventually was won by Scheele. The famous statement about the C1 Focus being too expensive for America is often atributed to Sir Nick.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
At issue is the Metal Jaguar can move. to increase profitability, Jaguar could let some of it investment trickle down to Ford Crown Victoria, Ausie Fords, Mustang's Lincolns and the like.
A Jaguar Based lincoln would fetch better prices and command better prices than Cadillac...

(I posted this already & it's sorta OT, but it seems like such a no-brainer to me)

Wonder what would come of Ford sending an Orion-Falcon to Jag... "See what you can do with this"
but also send an XF to FordAU... "See what you can do with this"
THEN send both of the results to Hau Thai-Tang (SVT,Mustang) in Brasil... "See what you can do with them"

POP QUIZ! multiple guess:
[ ] a global Rwd platform for LINCOLN?
[ ] " - - " - -- - " -- - - " - - - " - the best Mustang ever?
[ ] " - - " - -- - " -- - - " - - - " - other new specialty Fords?
[ ] " - - " - -- - " -- - - " - - - " - more profitable Jaguars?
[ ] " - - " - -- - " -- - - " - - - " - the best Falcon ever?
[ ] all of the above!!!
[ ] some of the above?
[ ] none of the above?
[ ] I hate pop quizzes... SELL Everything.
AND for extra credit: Which answer will Ford choose?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
POP QUIZ! multiple guess:
[X ] a global Rwd platform for LINCOLN?
[ ] " - - " - -- - " -- - - " - - - " - the best Mustang ever?
[ ] " - - " - -- - " -- - - " - - - " - other new specialty Fords?
[ ] " - - " - -- - " -- - - " - - - " - more profitable Jaguars?
[ ] " - - " - -- - " -- - - " - - - " - the best Falcon ever?
[ ] all of the above!!!
[ ] some of the above?
[ ] none of the above?
[ I hate pop quizzes... SELL Everything.
AND for extra credit: Which answer will Ford choose?
A RWD Lincoln is the way to go

·
Registered
203 Posts

What an idiot whoever that was. Land Rover is profiting I think. And the 08 Focus isn't really a hot and groundbreaking product.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This is just a nasty rumor. Ford will never sell these brands. They've said so.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You do.....
Not really, at least not anymore. To have a better grasp of what I think which is very much conditioned by what I have learned, I would recommend reading the post that initiated this thread.

Now, if you asked my what I wish the situation was . . . . the "nasty rumor" line pretty much sums everything up, but that is just a wish.

The following -couple of hours old- note by REUTERS though is related to how things are at this moment.

Ford says evaluating options on Land Rover, Jaguar
Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:59pm ET

DEARBORN, Mich., June 29 (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. is continuing to evaluate options for its Land Rover and Jaguar brands, a senior executive said on Friday.

"We're continuing to evaluate everything," Mark Fields, Ford's president for the Americas told reporters.

Fields declined to comment when asked whether the automaker had received indications of interest from a potential buyer for the British luxury brands.

"Nothing to talk about at this point . . . for more CLICK HERE.​

1 - 14 of 14 Posts