Ford Inside News banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored at work so I drew up some Mercury Sketches:

First is the Mercury Custom Hot Rod:

Based on the Focus RS platform, the Mercury Custom Hot Rod would try to capture the soul of the old classic 50s Mercurys. Small nimble and quick. It would have the option for the 2.0 EcoBoost engine.

Here is the same picture but with notes

Next is a Retro Cougar:

Based on the Mustang platform but altered. Would have the option for a 4 cylender eco boost engine and the 6 cylender eco boost. There would be a limited edition Eliminator trim which would take the 5.0 V-8 and bore it out to a 5.2 (or 5.1 not sure which one would work out better). This engine would be a Lincoln-Mercury Exclusive engine and would only appear in their vehicles. It would have the same fuel economy but have a bump in power.

Notes:

Let me know what you guys think :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
i like the kick up over the rear wheels in the first sketch. that's evocative of the early Merc you mentioned, the '49-'51s. i like how you took the Mercury 'waterfall' out of the circle for use on the front fender. i love the enthusiasm for Mercury here!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imho you've got a Lot of interesting ideas there, Andrew

a Focus-sized hotrod mini-woodie-shape (smaller than the HHR) is a cool idea;
makes me think of the joint Lincoln-Mercury branded neo-retro specialty line I've imagined
&
in your notes, you mention an exclusive steeringwheel - which raises a question:
I've had the notion that ALL Mercurys could use the same steeringwheel - is that part of your idea too?
(also think they might ALL use the same instrument cluster!)

the Cougar I'm afraid is going to be one of the hardest icons EVER to re-create
tho as art mentioned about your waterfall-theme,
I think you have some interesting concepts in your "graphics" in general - like the tail lights (& I usually don't like geometric details :))

hope you find the time to sketch some more
&
a suggestion (hope you don't mind)
if you come across a photo with a car whose SHAPE/Proportions you like, try printing it after lightening it so it's barely a visible outline
& maybe use that as a starting point to sketch on top of.
I've seen other by-hand artists recommend that^ technique as way to "firm up" their drawing and also learn different angles.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
in your notes, you mention an exclusive steeringwheel - which raises a question:
I've had the notion that ALL Mercurys could use the same steeringwheel - is that part of your idea too?

the Cougar I'm afraid is going to be one of the hardest icons EVER to re-create
He said "Mercury exclusive steering wheel" in the notes, so all Mercurys would use it, at least that's how I interpret it.

Here's my Cougar submission, as has been seen before:

EDIT: Hmmm, I've never really noticed how dull that Cougar picture looks....I need to add more details to it....sounds like I have yet another project to work on....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes probably all Mercurys would use that steering wheel except the trucks which would get a different one.

plust my Cougar sketch uses just a basic mustang steering wheel which could be swapped for the hot rod one.

RMC I really like your cougar sketch, When I was drawing mine at work I remembered yours and kinda used what I remembered of it as inspiration. Great drawing man

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cougar sketch: at first i was going to suggest replacing the central Mercury logo with Cougar ones, and then i realized you had a Cougar head on the headlights! that's a really cool touch! i remember some '80s Cougars with those circular logos on their taillights, but it really makes sense to use them on the xenon/projector headlights. and are those LED headlights/parking/fog lamps too? i think LEDs are going to lead to some very creative headlight designs.

i'd love to see a Cougar come back with original '67-'68 styling cues. i think that model is one of Mercury's best, and most distinctive, models ever created under the brand.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Cougar sketch: at first i was going to suggest replacing the central Mercury logo with Cougar ones, and then i realized you had a Cougar head on the headlights! that's a really cool touch! i remember some '80s Cougars with those circular logos on their taillights, but it really makes sense to use them on the xenon/projector headlights. and are those LED headlights/parking/fog lamps too? i think LEDs are going to lead to some very creative headlight designs.

i'd love to see a Cougar come back with original '67-'68 styling cues. i think that model is one of Mercury's best, and most distinctive, models ever created under the brand.
Yup, the Cougar emblem could either be etched into the projector as some manufacturers (including Ford - certain Lincolns had the star on the projector) do, or I suppose it could be some sort of cover.

As for the parking/foglamps - yeah they'd be LEDs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts