Ford Inside News banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stealing this from GMI

http://horsepowerkings.com/sources-ford-to-discontinue-v8-motors-in-mustang-f150-after-2017/

Can you imagine a Mustang GT with no V8? Can you imagine Ford announcing a 2018 Mustang GT, ‘powered by Ecoboost V6?’ We can’t either, and frankly, it makes us sick to even think about. That is why the following information is disturbing on so many levels.

Troubled by these horrible thoughts, we were able to have a quick chat with one of the many Ford reps here at the show. You see, if you attend enough Auto Shows, you start to build professional and personal relationships with the same manufacturer representatives over the years. And while our source certainly isn’t the end-all of Ford’s future plans, the information he provided us apparently echoes the larger opinion and direction of the executives at Ford. Our source has also been pretty reliable over the years, specifically in regards to Mustangs. If you aren’t sitting down right now, please take a seat – this news might be hard to take:

“Ford is definitely phasing out the V8 motor altogether”, he said – word for word. “CAFE and EPA are working very hard discreetly to make sure of that. There is quite a bit going on at Ford that the public is in the dark about. The impression that I am getting is that Ford wants to continue it’s V8 program, but things have (rather recently) taken a new direction, presumably from CAFE/EPA pressure in mid to late 2013. Ford has invested quite a bit of money into the ‘Coyote’ program over the years, and even had plans of going DI (Direct Injection). The future development budget for the 5.2L FPC motor has dwindled, and there is talk that this motor may continue it’s life exclusively in the form of sanctioned racing series, not on the street. The next big thing for Ford at this point is weight savings. They are trying to lighten these Mustangs to get high performance numbers out of the EcoBoost, and whether we like it or not, that is the (near) future. It’s not Ford’s fault, and you can thank the Gov’t for this – not the consumer”.

Our source later went on to explain that “The rebranding/reshuffling of the Ford Performance Division is all a result of this added EPA pressure. Ford wasn’t going to fund a performance program unless it’s primary focus was on the smaller EcoBoost motors, so SVT and Ford Racing were dissolved into this new Performance Division. And unfortunately, it would be foolish to expect to see any new V8 cars coming out of this new Performance Division. Ford Performance is going to be cranking out some very fast cars for some time, but even if the new Shelby GT500 gets the green light, it will likely be the last gasoline V8 that Ford will ever produce.”
-----------

My personal take? I have a very hard time believing this.. What about trucks like the Super Duty? I can't imagine a Mustang GT without a V8. This would also make the GT350 a 1 or 2 year car which makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Actually now that I think about it a bit more, it isn't even that hard to imagine. Smart to my brain but hurts my heart. That said, I'd imagine this isn't exclusive to Ford.

GOOD THING WE HAVE AN ENGINE GUY FROM FORD ON THIS SITE!

(Wings, please calm my heart, PLEASE)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
sorta inevitable imho, same as ANY petrol engine ... yet no big thing ... and Not absolute v8 extinction

from my old website "ver.4.1 This new version takes a austere look at a CAFE/Depression-ready lineup":
...business-paid-for commercial vehicles, and the few fans able to pay überLux prices for their beloved Rwd nameplates

edit
seriously, with HP-per-liter reaching to 140-180,
just how big of an engine would most people need/want?

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
What?
No..right?
This is some kind of April fools right?
No V8 un Mustang? No 5.2l flat plane crankshaft V8.
What is happening?
I still think the Navi should have a V8

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think V8 development is being defunded but won't be gone entirely. They can simply price the V8's out of the reach of more customers if they need to reduce the volume. A Mustang without an affordable V8 is certainly a curiosity, especially since the new Mustang doesn't use any of the EB V6s yet. But I think you know the nail is in the coffin for V8 when the Mustang gets the next gen EB 3.5. ****, if the F-150 can sell more EB V6s than V8s, then you know we're good here. And drivetrain tech is evolving VERY quickly now, we will certainly see more electrification anyway which comes with tremendous benefits beyond just efficiency.

It certainly makes sense when you see the Raptor and even the FREAKING GT is going without a V8.

You have to appreciate Ford's longterm vision, it all makes sense now. It's at moments like these when I really appreciate the visionaries at the company.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Even if they don't have immediate plans to ditch V8's, it's inevitable that they will eventually, what with CAFE and such. Which is the way it should be, quite frankly.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Even if they don't have immediate plans to ditch V8's, it's inevitable that they will eventually, what with CAFE and such. Which is the way it should be, quite frankly.
Or maybe they combine two 2.0EB engines into one TT4.0EB V8 for future Mustangs! I vote yes!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Or maybe they combine two 2.0EB engines into one TT4.0EB V8 for future Mustangs! I vote yes!
I was just thinking about that. A 4.0L EcoBoost V8.

But I also think that electrification will change the focus. The Tesla Model S P85D AWD with duel electric motors and 691 HP, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds is the future of performance cars.

So I can see in the future as Ford moves into performance electrification, the gasoline engine won't be able to keep up. And a bigger engine won't really help.

Tesla Model S P85D AWD:

85 kWh Performance
253 miles range (EPA est.)
691 hp motor power
221 hp front, 470 hp rear
3.2 seconds 0-60 mph
155 mph top speed
High performance Dual Motor all wheel drive with specially designed suspension for exceptional power and handling
8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty
Supercharging included

·
Registered
717 Posts
C'mon.....don't fall for the clickbait.

This website is known for that crap. V8's aren't going ANYWHERE.

I should say the website from the original link is known for clickbait.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Maybe not by 2017, but i suspect that the V8 will be discontinued soon. The GT supercar with an Ecoboost V6 with more tan 600 HP, is the way in wich Ford says: hey guys...you doesnt need a V8 to have power!

By the first half of the next decade, we will see that the 3 cyl engine (like the marvelous 1.0lt ecoboost and others smaller and bigger versions of this engine) will be the basic engine for a wide range of vehicles: from the subcompacts like the Ka and Fiesta to médium size cars like the Fusion. (In fact, the next BMW 5 series sedan will have a 3 cyl diesel engine as the basic powerplant!) The 4 cyl engines will be the optional equipment in the upscale versions and basic engine in the big sedans. The V6 will be exclusive for trucks, sport cars like the Mustang and luxury cars and CUVs from Lincoln.

I think that the number of cylinders is not the more important point in an engine. Is the power. The new GT supercar show us that.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think a good variety of engine choice will be around for a long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts