Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speculations on Volvo’s Future

There is a comentary by an autoblog poster that we found to be intresting. Here goes
omar @ Sep 20th 2007 12:06PM

Volvo cars is for sale because Ford is trying to revive its homebrands of Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln. Ford needs to focus only on the Ford brand onyl and Volvo, Jag, and Rover needs to be divested in order ot do this. Ford will divest Volvo but it will maintain a stake in Volvo Cars like it has in Mazda. Who ever buys Volvo will have to buy the majority of the company and will own Volvo, but Ford will have the minority share in the company to provide volvo with that extra car company to back them along the way in product diversity and platform sharing.

Now about AB Volvo not buying back Volvo Cars. This is quite true and I never saw them to buy back Volvo Cars as they have no intentions of being in the car market again on industrial products. However as the CEO has stated AB Volvo is very much so concerned over who will buy the Car comapany as they will have to give that firm the rights to use the Volvo name on passenger vehicles. Ab Volvo also controls and has the final say over who Ford will sell Volvo Car Corp off too, this is one of the many reasons why the sale of Volvo Car Corp is not that simple as in the case with Jaguar and Land Rover.

The most likely buyer for Volvo Car Corp will be the Swedish consortium of investors. The Wallenberg Family that owns Investor AB will buy Volvo Cars to make them Swedish owned again. The pride of Volvo is very high and rich in Swedish heritage, and knowning that a Swedish Family is and has the controlling intrest of such a prestigious Swedish brand is paramount. The Wallenbergs will own Volvo Cars just like the Quatar Family owns BMW of Germany. Sweden only has two automotive makers and both are currently owned by Americans. The brands have become Americanized in a sense, but Volvo is still the most Swedish of the two. The Wallenberg Family has already generated over half the asking price of Volvo Cars on their own, and the rest of the funds to purchase the majority share will be obtained through the Swedish stock exchange and Investor AB. With the Wallenbergs owning Volvo Cars, components and parts will shift from Ford to private companies of their choice again. The amount of integration between Ford and Volvo will dramatically decline also. Only ties Vovlo and Ford will have is in the production of platforms generally to cut down on product costs.

Finally AB Volvo, Volvo Cars managmenet, Volvo employees, Ford, and the Swedes alike will all welcome the take over of Volvo Cars by the Wallenbergs. Managment on all sides have already agreed on a Swedish takeover for new ownership by the end of the year. So now its just a matter of time to get paper work in order and signing of sales agreements.. Good luck to Volvo Cars on their new owners ( The Wallenbergs of investor AB). Volvo will do well in any event and will be supported by their die hard Volvo drivers. Volvo is an excellent luxury brand. Volvo. For Life.
Swedish pride.
Click HERE for Full Story

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
AM >> JagLR >> Volvo >>
I first got the feeling the sell-out would continue way back before AM was finalized.
but I'm ok with it (now)
possibly because it gives me (what little) Hope (I have) for Mercury...

...in a PM-convo elsewhere, in talking about what new models Merc needs most, it really sounds like we're re-creating a domestic Volvo - with maybe a bit more ummm accessibility(?)
so...

DO hope Volvo gets adopted by a nice couple (of moneybags).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Reading more post of that Omar the guy loves Volvo and hate Ford, and in every post he talks about the Wallenberg family buying Volvo, but back to the topic I think that AM needs to keep in mind that Ford cannot keep loosing market and atleast Volvo give Ford and extra 500k a year and that helps on lowering development cost on future products plus Volvo has not been a distraction to Ford because Volvo has been in good shape since day 1, Volvo is profitable and it has been the main contributor to the PAG profits, I remember that PAG posted a profit of about 700million even with Jag loosing about 1 billion and that was all thanks to Volvo, if getting 8-9 billions now than keeping the Volvo brand is what they decided Ford will make their biggest mistake ever yes even bigger than the Edsel imo

2B2 I love Mercury too but with all this post off Mercury been killed by 2012 and thats even if Ford sells Volvo, Ford will go from FML,Mazda,LR,AM,Jag,Volvo to FL and Mazda and I dont like that idea, I could see a shrinked Ford but as FML Volvo and Mazda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts